Engineer unlockables?

Reaction score
Seeing the Blutsanger sp* Axetinguisher and Kritskrieg get's me wondering what there going to do for the engi? Discuss. My only thought is crit's for the sentry and buff his freaking shotgun.

My favourite suggestion so far has been a shotgun that leeches ammo from enemies and converts it to metal.

My favourite suggestion so far has been a shotgun that leeches ammo from enemies and converts it to metal.
That still doesn't have it's balance to it though. Taking the backburner and needle gun as an example, you lose the air blast ability or the ability to get any crits with the needle gun. Although that shotgun idea is great, it's the reoccuring problem that people are thinking too big and not balanced. It needs a draw back.

Also the crit sentry idea isn't going to happen, it's just madness. They wrench will certainly get the most interesting / best upgrade but I'm sure it'll be related to building / repairing rather than the structures the engineer will be able to build. e.g. decreased building time / charging buildings with wrench hits to automatically repair damage something along those lines.

I think the engis should get EMPs in place of the design plans to disable enemy turrets for about 30 seconds, sort of the way a sapper works, cept the turret doesn't take damage unless someone shoots it. That and the EMP has a very low range, so the engi will be sacrificial. :p

I can't wait for the engineer unlocks. I hope Valve has a creative mind for them.

Meh. You already get metal from their corpses, and I feel like a more direct way of stealing metal would cheapen that aspect a little bit. I like the idea of alternate metal sources, but it's really not hard to come by as is.

Take away the sentry gun, let him set up 2 sets of teleporters, and allow him to build them quicker. Maybe add some kind of mobile dispensor on his back and a beefier shotgun. An engineer that's actually useful for competitive play would be nice.

The Rivet Gun I proposed acts more like the Bluntsauger than a shotgun. It fires rivets over an arced trajectory rather than slugs. The getting metal from the enemies' ammo supply would support the engineer when building forward bases offensively, or defending a position.

The Super Spanner

Replaces: Wrench

Like the medic's overheal ability the super spanner gives the engie the ability to "Overfix"
his buildings to 150% of their HP. Overfixing costs 200 metal to implement and diminishes
as soon as the building starts taking damage. The catch with the weapon is that repairing, upgrading, and speeding up the construction of buildings consumes an additional 5 metal per second.

The Prioritizer

Replaces: Pistol

The Prioritizer allows the engineer to fire rounds that tag enemies for attack by your Sentry. Should a tagged enemy walk into your sentry's range they will be targeted first. Solving the problem of having your SG not hitting the target you want. The catch with the weapon is that it reduces the spare clip round to 64 and reduces the probability of getting crits by 25%​

That still doesn't have it's balance to it though. Taking the backburner and needle gun as an example, you lose the air blast ability or the ability to get any crits with the needle gun. Although that shotgun idea is great, it's the reoccuring problem that people are thinking too big and not balanced. It needs a draw back.

Also the crit sentry idea isn't going to happen, it's just madness. They wrench will certainly get the most interesting / best upgrade but I'm sure it'll be related to building / repairing rather than the structures the engineer will be able to build. e.g. decreased building time / charging buildings with wrench hits to automatically repair damage something along those lines.

Shotgun deals little to no damage.

That would be interesting.

The Rivet Gun

Replaces: Shotgun

A replacement for the shotgun, the rivet gun drains 3 rounds of ammo from the
weapon of the target per hit and adds it to the engie's metal reserve. The catch
is that like the bluntsauger it can't perform crits.

My original idea for the rivet gun was not so much a shotgun, but a weapon like a flechette shotgun. Instead of firing projectiles along a straight spread, the rivet gun's rounds would travel along an arced trajectory like the needle gun's projectiles. The rivet gun's rounds wouldn't be able to travel as far as the standard shotgun (the standard shotgun can fire from battlement to battlement on 2fort) providing a better balance compared to other unlockable weapons

i think the sentry gun wil get a longer range cuse a senrty crit? thats 2 overpowerful!

I'm thinking a Wrench replacement which does the same thing but gives him a new set of buildings.

The Electric Hammer
Replaces Wrench
As I said, does the same thing, but gives the engie a new set of buildings which I'm not sure of. Maybe a mountable railgun with high damage instead of the sentry. And I have NO idea what to replace the dispenser with.

The Electric Hammer
Replaces Wrench
As I said, does the same thing, but gives the engie a new set of buildings which I'm not sure of. Maybe a mountable railgun with high damage instead of the sentry.
Lmao, I never cease to be amazed by the mad concoctions in people's mind of the most overpowered unlockables.

HAI, I've got one, for the Heavy. THE REDEEMER - fires a minature nuclear warhead which always crits...the entire map.

This "overpowered unlockable" would only work while mounted, thus being easy to destroy. Guess I didn't put enough detail.

Hmm, maybe the engie can get a new wrench, which allows him to hold more metal *Maybe a smaller wrench, or one with a bucket on it? :p* while the drawback is he uses said metal a lot slower...*50%?* meaning it will be more difficult to hold his buildings up, but under light attacks, he has the ability to survive longer.
Best one I could think of in a 3 second time span.

I think a sentry with a longer range that loses its ability to shoot behind itself sounds good to me.

Maybe a Sentry where the third upgrade is longer range machine guns instead of rockets.

Golden Wrench
Works a bit like the medigun. As you repair and upgrade buildings you charge a bar. When the bar is full you can right click on a building to make it invincible for a few seconds. Reduces the Engineer's max metal reserve to 150. (name may or may not have been inspired by a mod for one of the C&C games).

Hollow-Point Round Pistol
Reduces the pistol's rate of fire and accuracy but gives it the ability to push back enemies a small amount. Helps spy-checking and to keep spies away from buildings.

Golden Wrench
Works a bit like the medigun. As you repair and upgrade buildings you charge a bar. When the bar is full you can right click on a building to make it invincible for a few seconds. Reduces the Engineer's max metal reserve to 150. (name may or may not have been inspired by a mod for one of the C&C games).

Hollow-Point Round Pistol
Reduces the pistol's rate of fire and accuracy but gives it the ability to push back enemies a small amount. Helps spy-checking and to keep spies away from buildings.

engie is one of my favorite classes, i can't wait for his unlocks, but i hope they make him more mobile

engie is one of my favorite classes, i can't wait for his unlocks, but i hope they make him more mobile

What sort of an engineer would that be? Engineer is all about others coming to him/his traps, not going after everyone else.

Maybe a flying sentry? With a drivers seat? :p
But yes, Para, I agree with you. Unfortunately, I also want to see him more mobile. But then again, if he was more mobile, he'd be a heavy, yes?

Unlockable buildings. It's already been suggested by Valve.

Level 2 Dispenser:

Upgrade cost: 200 Metal

The level 2 dispenser increases the maximum amount of metal held by the dispenser to
300 and increases heal speed to 75% of the medigun heal speed.

Level 3 Dispenser:

Upgrade cost: 200 Metal

The level 3 dispenser increases heal speed to 90% of the medigun's heal speed and
has the ability to resupply sentry guns that are in close proximity.

The Telelauncher

Construction cost: 150 Metal

An alt. Tele exit the Telelauncher grants the user the ability to get a rocket-jump style
boost by pressing the secondary fire button while standing on the exit. Deploying the launch ability however discharges the teleport system requiring recharges in between
launches

Aggresive Engineer Schematics - Engineers are great on defense but on CP maps these unlocks give the offensive team some bite with an offensive engineer.

Sentry Link - Engineer can build two level 1 sentries. These can not be upgraded past level 1. Level 1 sentries are cheap in metal and build fast. Allowing an engineer to build two allows for some additional coverage but not being too powerful.

mini-Dispenser - Engineer can build two mini-dispensers, however they only refill half as fast as normal (20 metal per turn instead of 40). This is more beneficial to the team than the engineer as he can not rely much on a dispenser that doesn't put out much metal but allows for quick ammo refills in the battle field and provides some metal for sentry repairs.

Spanner
Replaces Wrench. Comes with alternative buildings.
Minitank. Costs 150 metal. Small tank that comes with a level 1 sentry gun on top. The engineer can order it to move (slowly) to a new location by pointing and right clicking. Double clicking the RMB cancels a move order. The gun must take a moment to pack up when it begins moving and must unpack when it stops. As such the tank cannot fire while moving. When stationary the tank operates the same as a sentry gun.

Level 2 tank (200 metal) has a faster movement speed and one chaingun.

Level 3 tank (another 200 metal) is the same as a level two tank but with 2 chainguns.

Microdispensor. Costs 80 metal. A smaller version of the dispensor with a faster deployment time. It produces metal and ammo at a slower rate than the dispensor but heals at the same rate. Can be upgraded to a dispensor at the cost of 100 metal.

Two-Way Teleporter. A teleporter that works both ways. Only has five charges though. Once all teleportations are used the engineer must recharge the teleporters by swinging the spanner in a downward motion on them. This can be done at either end. The cool-down time for teleporters is also slower than the regular ones. If there is one person on each teleporter then they swap places and you get two teleports for the price of one.

Blowback Sentry - Replaces the Sentrygun.

Level 1 - Identical to single-turret Level 1 Sentrygun.
Level 2 - Single-turret sentry upgraded with a "blowback" unit, which functions similarly to the Pyro's airblast ability and has a separate ammo meter. Automatically reflects all incoming enemy projectiles (rockets, grenades, stickies, etc). Uses 10% Blowback ammo per reflected projectile.
Level 3 - Upgrades the turret with two chainguns.

No rockets.
Can only target and fire within a 180-degree range. Thus, it is more susceptible to flanking enemies (such as Scouts).

ALT: Blowback unit could instead be a passive magnetic projectile reflector - that is, it works in all directions and reflects all enemy projectiles, but each reflected projectile drains its power source by 5-10%. This would allow non-projectile classes (especially the Scout) to flank the turret easily, while deterring Soldiers and Demomen.

Hmmm, maybe the wrench can 'compact' a building back into your tool chest, and you can move the fully constructed building around...but when you place it down, the building requires full time to re-deploy...though you don't have to spend metal to rebuild it. Also destroyable in it's tool chest.

Obviously, level 3 sentries will take quite a while to unpack.

Blowback instead of rockets? Nice. I like it.

Would also require much more use of spies.

Shamrock didn't like it. He said it makes it too hard for Demomen to take out sentries :p

But this is my rationale, based on what's been posted on teamfortress.com:

The Sentry's main weakness is against Spies and Demomen. This upgrade wouldn't affect the Spy's viability, because that would destroy part of his function as a class, so it focuses on changing which classes are viable against the turret in certain situations. Head-on, the Heavy has a slightly easier time due to lower knockback, while Demomen and Soldiers are forced to rely on splash damage to take out the turret (any explosive that comes within, say, 1 meter of the turret gets reflected, including rolling grenades). This promotes alternative offensive playstyles from Soldiers and Demomen (i.e. lower constant rocket/nade spam on entrenched enemy players), as well as organised strategy and teamplay between the attackers (i.e. flank and destroy turret with Scout, followed by an immediate front-line attack to take out the Turret-less enemy base).

The other biggest change is that the sentry would not be able to turn around and fire at enemies behind it. This means that the Scout, a class based entirely around speed, flanking and harassment, is suddenly very viable against this turret. Flanking this turret is of utmost importance, as is defending it against flanking enemies. This puts a higher emphasis on teamplay for the defenders, since they will need to coordinate a defense on multiple angles rather than everyone facing straight ahead and spamming their weapons at any enemy who shows up.

Furthermore, it allows the Engineer to be more mobile, since he won't have to worry about constant Demo or Soldier attacks against his turret. He has more time to make himself useful as a combat class.

I had some other points, but I forgot them for now.

A WRENCH THAT IS SUPER-EFFECTIVE ON BUILDINGS!!!!

I'll go ramble somewhere else now.

I like the Prioritizer, Upgradeable disspencers that heal close by Sentrys and two way teleports.

Anyone else notice that when you click on the Engineer in Character info and Setup it only lists his wrench, shotgun, and pistol.

The Spy only has his knife and pistol.

Maybe valve isn't planning on making alts for sentries and dispensers and what not. I guess that makes sense. It might screw up the game.

Since we're on the subject
I'd like a wrench that would build slower (less metal per whack) but deals critical hits to cloaked spies.

Anyone else notice that when you click on the Engineer in Character info and Setup it only lists his wrench, shotgun, and pistol.

Maybe valve isn't planning on making alts for sentries and dispensers and what not. I guess that makes sense. It might screw up the game.

Since we're on the subject
I'd like a wrench that would build slower (less metal per whack) but deals critical hits to cloaked spies.
Just cloaked spies? Seems a little.."not used enough to really matter". Maybe spy's in general.

I still like my idea of pistols dealing less dmg and 'stealing' metal on each shot.

Valve probably just created a generic interface that worked for all the classes, but was based only around the idea that they'd add new weapons. They could easily change the loadout interface to accomodate new buildings for the Engineer, among lots of other things.

A neat replacement for the Engineer's shotgun would be a Debris Launcher. Your ammunition consists of dropped weapons and/or exploded enemy bits, which you pick up from the battlefield, and then subsequently launch at your enemies. The launched bits arc like grenades, and deal damage based on what type of debris they are. Body bits would deal low damage, small weapons (knife, pistol, whiskey bottle, etc) would deal slightly more, and large weapons (minigun, flamethrower, baseball bat) would deal the highest damage. When the launcher crits, whatever comes out of the gun will be on fire, and will deal 1.5x damage along with igniting the enemy.

Just cloaked spies? Seems a little.."not used enough to really matter". Maybe spy's in general.

They can't be super fantastic.

How about this:
A wrench that will distribute more metal on other peoples sentries but depletes your metal count normally.

So, in a way it's only there to encourage teams of engineers.

I think it would cool if theres a outfit where a certain type of sentry gun can be made depending on what kind of scrap metal engie picks up. Like, say you can collect scrap metal from a fallen pyro, then you can create a flamethrower variation with the sentry gun. Or a sentrygun that shoots healing needles to teammates when you collect enough medic scrap metal. Spy scrap would give your sentry gun become cloaked when not firing

I know heavy and soldier scrap metal might kinda be redundant... possibly add more punch?

Back