Estimated Sales For L4D2

Shyam

Reaction score
So how do you think L4D2 is going to perform sales wise this time around.

Left 4 Dead 2 pre-orders are four times that of the original game

And for L4D1...
Left 4 Dead Pre-Orders 60% Up on Orange Box

Orange box did pretty well. So you can see why they are happy with the L4D2 development decision.

It is difficult to predict given the odd circumstances, there are far less games than usual releasing this holiday season, the game gains the positive and negative effects of a known franchise, but the sequel is in many ways higher profile than the first game.

There was an article that asks this question over at Gamasutra.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25929

There are arguments for both sides, the survey figures indicate that only half the people planning to buy it bought the first game, but that 90% of first game owners plan to buy the sequel at some point. (Take those numbers how you will) They also list negative reasons such as the recession, The fact its a sequal, and general market behavior. Also this sort of market analysis almost always snubs the PC and focuses primarily on the console market.

I believe sales for the first game are around 3 million. Valve stated a few weeks back that preorders were around 4 times that of the first game. Obviously you have to take into account the people who baught L4D1 post release, and enjoyed it enough to preorder this time.

Personally I think it will do great.

This is poker night at valve.

_46701423_008256483-1.jpg

Every night is poker night. And he's the little blind.
It made a lot of money, is the general point of this post.

This is poker night at valve.

_46701423_008256483-1.jpg

Every night is poker night. And he's the little blind.
It made a lot of money, is the general point of this post.

I heard on a Bungie podcast that at a friendly bidding/auction night between a few game companies that Valve were really throwing down with the big bucks.

Back