EVE Online: The Path to Kali

Reaction score
EVE Online is going to be getting a facelift, if you cant wait until the next installment is out there is a free 14 day trial you can check out go HERE (no creditcard needed)

here's what gamespy had to say about The Path to Kali:

EVE Online is one of those MMOs that just keeps chugging along under the radar. The game was launched in 2003 and immediately gained notice for the stunning beauty of its graphics engine and for quite a few bugs. Since that time, the bugs have been fixed, the world has evolved, and the EVE community is a small but loyal one. At this year's E3, CCP, the game's developer, announced that the time had come for the game to move on. It's now looking to regain the graphics crown it once enjoyed and give a more dynamic play structure to the community that's grown up around the game.

EVE Online's graphics overhaul is no mere patch release. While the company is working on an updated version of the current engine, they've also taken the drastic step of actually building an entirely new engine for Windows Vista. The new operating system from Microsoft apparently has quite a few features that MMOs like EVE can take advantage of, including fully programmable shaders and support for instancing, so the development team has decided to scrap and re-do every one of the game's 300 plus spaceships from scratch while also adding new lighting and shadow features.

The game is also getting another technological upgrade -- integrated voice chat. The company has partnered with Vivox to provide real-time in-game voice communication. According to representatives from the company, the voice-chat technology will include the right to set up a variety of private channels and a full suite of moderator tools that allow users with the proper privileges to kick, mute, or outright ban disruptive players. What's not so clear, however, is just how much benefit this will be to the EVE community. Many player corporations already maintain their own chat servers, and given the relatively slow pace of EVE's gameplay and combat, it's difficult to see a pressing tactical need for anything other than the game's text chat channels. The Vivox service is also being touted as a "premium service option" which leads to speculation on whether players will have to pay extra for it and whether the "official" voice-chat technology may eventually end up being the "only" voice chat when alternatives get banned.

Most interesting from the player's perspective, however, is the introduction of factional warfare. EVE Online is already an intensely political game where jockeying among player associations, corporations, and large alliances comprises most of the game's content. Indeed, it's been jokingly suggested that as much of the game's "action" takes place on forum message boards as in the game itself. The factional warfare addition, on the other hand, should provide some in-game reactionary content that will help support what already goes on. The Path to Kali will introduce several new NPC factions along with solid political borders and storylines that will shift as the players declare allegiances and pursue story-specific agendas. EVE Online: The Path to Kali is scheduled to be rolled out in 2007.

Sounds good :) always loved this game, def going to be giving it a try.

Neat aways wanted to try out this game.

Ive played this game quite a bit, don't have the patience for it why I quit playing & its just all around pretty boring, cool for a social thing with some friends though.

If I get an upgrade by this time, I might pick it up :O I'd always wanted to before, but it was too late into the game really.

I can't wait to see their new DX10 graphics engine they are making... *drool*

MMO's with top-notch graphics rock!

this is one of those games that I really wish weren't pay for play

theotherguy said:
this is one of those games that I really wish weren't pay for play
yeah, i'm with you.. i love it (i don't know how many 14 day trials i've been through) and it had the same business plan as guild wars. D:

Back