Excellent game, terrible ending. (spoliers)

This is not intended as a rant or a jab at Valves superb work with the long awaited sequel so keep your flames in the kitchen.

Whats with the bland ending? No challenge, no grand finale not even music while the credits roll. Aside from G-mans few choice words, the layout of the final chapter was horrible. It was too easy given the capability of your "enhanced" weapon. It was way too easy and way too short. In HL1 you have a giant, menacing baby that took forever to kill and here, all you have is two gunships and target practice on floating metal doors? Awful. Aside from the promise of a trilogy, Im sure most of you will agree that the conclusion to HL2 is its downfall.

8.5 out of 10.

i don't agree because i can't come up with a better ending. can you?

i liked the citadel level, it was one of the best. too bad you didnt spend alot of time on it like fighting the final boss on the roof

I haven't beaten the game yet and I didn't read what you said but I still stay from what i've heard the ending is not bad...you do know there will be a HL3? Maybe that's why they made this ending..

what other ending could of fitted though

i thought it was a great ending because sometimes things dont always trun out to be "kill the baddy, rescue the girl and we all live happily everafter."

Shadow][ said:
i liked the citadel level, it was one of the best. too bad you didnt spend alot of time on it like fighting the final boss on the roof

Which chapter are you referring to? None of them are named "citadel".

Theres a spoilers section made just for hl2 so if you can post your future spoiler topics there. Thanks.

All i wish for was a BIGGER and Badasser boss....

But the ending was sweet, like HL1 almost, and the graphics were great man, that was the sexiest explosion..

in the meantime... This is where i get off.... *adjusts tie*

I really liked the ending because we don't really have a clue wtf happened. Most people seem to want answers to everything, well i don't. We don't know who the g-man is and that's what's so great about him. If Half-life 3 answers all of these questions, i'll be sad. ;( I hope Valve intend to only give us hints, nothing more. :)

You people have got to be kidding me.

The ending was awesome... because to you guys:

- It didn't make sense
- What else could have worked
- You couldn't have made a better ending

Real smart. REAL smart. That's like saying, you go and watch a bad movie, and you say "This movie was awesome because I can't make movies." or "This movie is awesome because what else could have wasted my time so well??"

Sorry, but.. come on give some better answers.

Perhaps I should have reworded my post and said "The final chapter was too easy and short". Maybe a simple sentence would have been easier for you ppl to understand.

What other ending could have fitted? How about a resolution of sorts? How about have the puppermaster save Breen from death to confront you? How about we get a glimpse at what the hell is going on within the combine structure? How about giving us a conclusion concerning Alyx? A few farewell words maybe? At least that would have been a cliffhanger.

127.0.0.1 said:
Which chapter are you referring to? None of them are named "citadel".

okay EINSTEIN lets put our thinking caps on... hmm what level could he possibly be referring to as the citadel level.
I KNOW THE ****ING LEVEL WHERE YOU WERE IN THE COMBINE CITADEL, THE VERY ****ING LEVEL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, CALL ME CRAZY BUT I MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING SHERLOCK,

(I know it was called a citadel because there are a few references to making it to the walls of thei citadel)

127.0.0.1 said:
Perhaps I should have reworded my post and said "The final chapter was too easy and short". Maybe a simple sentence would have been easier for you ppl to understand.

I think we all got it and we disagree

When I first saw the ending in HL2 I was totally pissed, but since then I've learned to love it. It goes well with the HL story which obviously isn't over. I'm thinking all will be explained in the next HL, so enjoy HL2 for what it is, the vidoegame version on the 2 towers( both extremly well done:) ).

- I had music during the credits.

ahahahahah i agree wit kommie. i ow u a beer dude :cheers:

PEACE

Mike

I agree vwith the thread starter. The best FPS I have ever played, but the ending left me well and truely pissed off.

i like the ending because it really makes more sense then fighting some super boss, who says that defeating the last boss has to be super difficult? it was different ending then just about any other game, yet still left me feeling satisfied.

iamaelephant said:
I agree vwith the thread starter. The best FPS I have ever played, but the ending left me well and truely pissed off.
WOW elephant I thought you wouldn't like HL2, but I;m happy you did:)

Kommie said:
okay EINSTEIN ...
I KNOW THE ****ING LEVEL WHERE YOU WERE IN THE COMBINE CITADEL, THE VERY ****ING LEVEL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, CALL ME CRAZY BUT I MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING SHERLOCK,

Oh, sorry, your 12 years old immaturity is showing.

Which is fairly strange, since he gave support to his OPINIONS (yes, people have opinions) while you flat out shoved your e-hand in his e-face.

Let's take a look at the reasons why people defend the HL2 ending:

1. Just because it made no sense doesn't mean it sucks!

No. It made sense... but an ending is suppose to give resolution. Even when you're talking abstraction, usually endings have a resolution to a conflict. What went on in the game? There were three major themes and two major overtones:

Themes:
a. Involuntary Freedom vs. Voluntary Tyranny
b. Fate vs. Choice
c. Good vs. Evil

Overtones:
a. Ortho-religious. (Gordon is the obvious Christ figure here)
b. Survival.

What did the ending accomplish? Which of these themes did it resolve? Nothing. None. Nada. Hence, it was an unsatisfactory ending.

An ending should maintain the overtone. A good ending should highlight it. The HL2 ending, by showing that the whole event was nothing more than another "mission", and the prolonged conversation about immortality detracted from it. In the first Half Life, even though there was also the G-man vs. Gordon confrontation, there was a certain martyrdom element that fit in very well with the overtone.

2. What else could have worked?

Perhaps a conclusion to at least two of the three themes above. You might say "Hm, well, the ending to HL2 certainly resolved the good vs. evil issue." No. I disagree. Throughout the entire game, we're introduced to two of the characters that portrays purity and goodness: Alyx and Eli, and even Mossman, with her final "involuntary redemption". Sure the revolution will continue no matter if she lives or dies, but the story isn't about the revolution; it's about the central characters and their struggle to *survive* based on the belief in Gordon as a messiah (overtone alerts) The same logic can be applied to the other two themes.

3. You can't make a better ending.

You each pay me 50 dollars for a game that I've been making for 2 years and you bet I can make a better ending.

The point is, from a pure literary standpoint, the ending was not as good as it could have been.

I'm not saying the game sucks; no. I had lots of fun with the game.

The ending... could have been better.

But hey, this post is going to be ignored since most of you hl2 fanatics don't give a crap about actual reason.

Kommie said:
okay EINSTEIN lets put our thinking caps on... hmm what level could he possibly be referring to as the citadel level.

(I know it was called a citadel because there are a few references to making it to the walls of thei citadel)

Clearly you have issues and you cant comprehend simple questions. Several of the levels are at the combine walls, none of the levels are named "citadel" so I was just asking him which one he was referring to. Grow up little boy.

I liked the ending in every way, and I thought that the chapters in the Citadel were brilliant. So I don't agree with you.

And, dude. Music does play while the credits roll.

Mithie said:
But hey, this post is going to be ignored since most of you hl2 fanatics don't give a crap about actual reason.

Oh, go shove a can up your ass.

Clearly you have issues and you cant comprehend simple questions. Several of the levels are at the combine walls, none of the levels are named "citadel" so I was just asking him which one he was referring to. Grow up little boy.

But none of them are in the citadel you moron, none of those levels are the one you are referring to. All these threads that are like dude the ending totally blew there are or were about 3 active threads with this topic on the front page When i saw this one there was a much older one JUST LIKE IT right below it, CLEARLY you are an idiot and I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN

Mithie lets take a look at his first post together shall we?

127.0.0.1 said:
This is not intended as a rant or a jab at Valves superb work with the long awaited sequel so keep your flames in the kitchen.

Whats with the bland ending? No challenge, no grand finale not even music while the credits roll. Aside from G-mans few choice words, the layout of the final chapter was horrible. It was too easy given the capability of your "enhanced" weapon. It was way too easy and way too short. In HL1 you have a giant, menacing baby that took forever to kill and here, all you have is two gunships and target practice on floating metal doors? Awful. Aside from the promise of a trilogy, Im sure most of you will agree that the conclusion to HL2 is its downfall.

8.5 out of 10.
okay support lets see AHH In hl1 you killed a giant baby and it was super tough He made no effort to support his opinions in a logical way all he is doing is stating his personal complaints, just like everyone else who starts threads like this

Absinthe said:
Oh, go shove a can up your ass.
My point is proven. Until one of you defenders of HL2's deep and profound plot responds to the points I've made above, everything you say is just going to further your lack of ability to reason.

Kommie said:
But none of them are in the citadel you moron, none of those levels are the one you are referring to. All these threads that are like dude the ending totally blew there are or were about 3 active threads with this topic on the front page When i saw this one there was a much older one JUST LIKE IT right below it, CLEARLY you are an idiot and I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN

Has Child Services questioned your parents' lack of guidance and supervision? You should be concerened. Call them, its toll free.

If you cant accept peoples opinions and be open minded, perhaps you shouldnt be a registered memeber of any forum.

Mithie said:
My point is proven. Until one of you defenders of HL2's deep and profound plot responds to the points I've made above, everything you say is just going to further your lack of ability to reason.

No. It's just that I don't have the time to type out an explanation of the ending. Nor do I feel like doing so for an arrogant SOB like you.

Maybe later.

The HL2 ending is like Matrix: Reloaded ending. Even though it ends abruptly and leaves things uncertain, it makes us wanting and waiting for more in the sequel to come. Very well thought of Valve! :thumbs:

I think of the series of half life as one long movie. HL1 was the introduction and setting up the story. HL2 sets up the ending.

Look at any one movie. If it is a good movie, do you know what the ending will be in the middle of the story?

*I* liked HL2 because of the open-end finish. It tells you just enough to give you a foggy picture of whats happening, but makes you want more.

Thats my view.

Rent-A-Hero said:
I think of the series of half life as one long movie. HL1 was the introduction and setting up the story. HL2 sets up the ending.

Look at any one movie. If it is a good movie, do you know what the ending will be in the middle of the story?

*I* liked HL2 because of the open-end finish. It tells you just enough to give you a foggy picture of whats happening, but makes you want more.

Thats my view.
same, i compare it to the matrix trilogy, hl1 was the introduction and storyline, hl2 was mixed with action and information, hl3 will be the ending and answers will be revealed...

127.0.0.1 said:
Has Child Services questioned your parents' lack of guidance and supervision? You should be concerened. Call them, its toll free.

If you cant accept peoples opinions and be open minded, perhaps you shouldnt be a registered memeber of any forum.

Oh please, lets just insult my family because I think your a moron That just shows how GASP DARE I SAy it immature you are oh and BTW you mother is so fat she has to put her belt on with a boomerang. Has your school adressed your apparent lack of any spark of intelligence whatsoever? go to your guidance counselor its toll free! YES MY PARENTS SUCK AND I AM AN IGNORANT NARROW MINDED FOOL BECAUSE I DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION AND REACTED EXTREMELY TO THE SIX MILLIONTH POST LIKE THIS

Okay. Everyone apparently thinks just because an ending is open-ended it's good. Would everyone agree that Half-life one's ending was open-ended? Yes? Very good. An ending, whether it's open ended or not, must resolve certain themes to be considered a "Good" ending. Half-life 1's ending accomplished that. It asked more questions than it resolved, but at the core, it tied up the themes nicely.

That's why it feels much more solid to me than HL2's ending. It's my opinion.

Absinthe: I may be an arrogant bastard, but you're an immature jackass. See how far namecalling gets you places? Don't agree with someone's opinion, ignore it, or state why. Personal attacks only highlight your inability to reason clearly.

Mithie said:
That's why it feels much more solid to me than HL2's ending. It's my opinion.

I agree. HL1 had a much more solid ending. But does the hero always know wtf is going on? ( I know I dont)

Mithie said:
Absinthe: I may be an arrogant bastard, but you're an immature jackass. See how far namecalling gets you places? Don't agree with someone's opinion, ignore it, or state why. Personal attacks only highlight your inability to reason clearly.

Jesus, lay off the "reasoning" crap, okay? You're no more reasonable than anybody else here.

You acted like a big prick. I treated you like one. Call it immaturity, if you want.

Any way, I'll give a more substantial reply regarding the story some time later in the day.

Nooooooooooooooooo Not My Throat!!!!!!! LITTLE DO YOU KNOW I HAVE A BREATHING APPARATUS CONNECTED TO MY LUNGS THROUGH MY ANUS AHAHAHAHA

stfu.gif

You acted like a big prick. I treated you like one. Call it immaturity, if you want.

Excuse me. Next I try to systematically back up my opinion with reason, please stop me from acting like a prick.

Maybe I should run around calling everyone jackasses. Then I'll be the coolest guy ever!

I thought the ending was rad. It's certainly not too final, if that's what you mean, but neither was the first one's. Just be thankful there's more Half-Life to look forward to!

Yes, I would certainly shell out 50 dollars for another half-life, but I certainly hope it doesn't turn into a ten-sequel-long franchise. There's only a certain amount of ambiguous twists you can pull before interest starts flipping down the drain.

I loved the entire last level. My favorite part of the game.

In comparison, I just got done with Halo2 also. Now THERE was an ending that truly sucked. My roommate couldn't believe it WAS the ending. The game just suddenly stopped without explanation.

Contrast that with the entire last level of HL2. Everything is leading up to the ending. You KNOW it's coming. I suppose they could have had some super big boss fight, but that's not really fitting with the style of the rest of the game. I liked that instead, you got to have the unique weapons experience they decided on, and got to see so much of what made the combine and doctor Breen tick.

Two thumbs up from me.
Copy n paste from my post in similar thread

Mithie said:
Maybe I should run around calling everyone jackasses. Then I'll be the coolest guy ever!

Go for it, dude.

And a lot of what you refer to as "reasoning" is actually little more than opinion.

Back