Excuse me, Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonardo1 said:
You said it! shut the door on the way out! :)
But we're in a tent and you can't slam the flap... how am I supposed to express my anger? Zip it up really fast?
/end Mitch Hedburg quote
Now that guy knows funny. :cheese:

The tent is in the artic and the flap is frozen....
start banging
! :p

I think he accepted that awhile ago... now is time for crazy antics.

heh ...

I can't understand how steam can be described as bloatware however - has that person even had a look at the size of Steam the actual steam files?? Agreed *when it is running* it uses up resources, but who actually runs a game in the background continuously anyway and then complains that it's slowing their machine??

Ho hum, I'm gonna go back to HL2DM which has fantastic netcode and crazeee antics. w00t, lol and all that crap :D

Kirkburn said:
I can't understand how steam can be described as bloatware however - has that person even had a look at the size of Steam the actual steam files??

It's bloatware because it doesn't do anything useful and takes up resources.

StainlessJ-FPGA said:
It's bloatware because it doesn't do anything useful and takes up resources.
Gee, I sure don't love my patches and content updates being delivered to me instead of scouring mirrors for a download, but only after trying to join a server and it saying "Your version doesnt match!".

I also really hate being able to see what server my friends are in and not having to have them tell me the IP address out of game and then having to copy-and-paste it into the server list. Bah!

Yeah... Steam is terrible...
/end sarcasm

Sorry, but waiting a whopping 25seconds for Steam to boot up is well worth what it does for me.

Steam would be fine if what it mainly did was multiplayer and patches. It needs an option to block and remove patches, however, as some patches make things worse for people whose games ran fine before. If your programs are running fine then you don't go looking for patches that fix problems you don't have, but Steam does that automatically and it's not helpful. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If Steam also was anti-piracy in that it checked your copy was legit then gave you bonuses like extra game levels if it was, then that would also be fine. To reward people who bought the game makes more sense than to risk problems with Steam effectively punishing them for other people's piracy, while the pirates don't suffer the same problems for single-player with their pirated copies as it has no Steam.

WhiteZero said:
Gee, I sure don't love my patches and content updates being delivered to me instead of scouring mirrors for a download, but only after trying to join a server and it saying "Your version doesnt match!".

I also really hate being able to see what server my friends are in and not having to have them tell me the IP address out of game and then having to copy-and-paste it into the server list. Bah!

/end sarcasm

Sorry, but waiting a whopping 25seconds for Steam to boot up is well worth what it does for me.

Xfire is always running and it can do all that plus more, using less resources. http://www.xfire.com

WhiteZero said:

/end sarcasm

Any game patches, i have ever needed, i have had no problems geting them! for any game! plus steam is a bit slow..... steam is only good/useful for nooblets that don't know much about using the internet.

if any of you have warcraft 3 then u know that u dont need stream for patches. warcraft 3 aproach to patch is excellent i would have rather seen that than steam taking 44mb of my memory

Leonardo1 said:
steam is only good/useful for nooblets that don't know much about using the internet.

Exactly. I have to ask, if you think steam is useful, are you also using AOL? Because it's real useful too... if you are a total newb.

Any game patches, i have ever needed, i have had no problems geting them!
Nor have I.
Maybe I just don't like having to go find a good mirror for a patch whenever it comes out?
*shrugs*
I like it because it's convenient. Since when dose using something convenient make you a "newb" to the internet? Grow up.

All I'm saying is that Steam works well for me. None of the patches have effected my gameplay in a negative way. I have no quarrel with Steam. I'm sorry that you guys have problems with it. Good luck with that.

Hear, hear! Steam is not made for power users. Remember that in future ...

EDIT: Actually waitasec...

doomed - uk said:
If your programs are running fine then you don't go looking for patches that fix problems you don't have, but Steam does that automatically and it's not helpful. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I bet you do go looking for patches - you assume patches are only there to repair/break things. This is wrong - they almost *always* add functionality, as have 90% of steam updates (yes, they have, maybe not for you, but for servers, etc...). This is why most people download patches for games, not to repair a broken game. Plus I don't recall any steam updates breaking HL2 indefinately (the last time the patch came out within a few hours. There wouldn't have been much internal testing for the first patch becuase of people *demanding* the update)

WhiteZero said:
I like it because it's convenient. Since when dose using something convenient make you a "newb" to the internet? Grow up.

Since that convenience adds lots of headaches, overhead, and inconveniences when the old method worked perfectly well. Mirrors? WTF obscure games do you play that require you to spend hours looking for a patch? Any patch I need takes 2 seconds to find(unless it's an EA game).

StainlessJ-FPGA said:
Since that convenience adds lots of headaches, overhead, and inconveniences when the old method worked perfectly well. Mirrors? WTF obscure games do you play that require you to spend hours looking for a patch? Any patch I need takes 2 seconds to find(unless it's an EA game).
*looks over his post for where he said "hours"*
Alright, alright... yeah, it only took about 2min to find a download for a patch. Steam has it's ups and downs, though most people feel theres more of the ladder.

Unfortunetly, the fact of the matter is that Steam is here and it's probably not going away anytime soon. So you might as well get used to it. :borg:

Meh... it's more like eating from a bag of chips that have been left open for 5 hours. Their a little stale... but still fairly edible.

Kirkburn said:
I bet you do go looking for patches - you assume patches are only there to repair/break things. This is wrong - they almost *always* add functionality, as have 90% of steam updates (yes, they have, maybe not for you, but for servers, etc...). This is why most people download patches for games, not to repair a broken game.

Perhaps a lot of people patch their games but I almost never patch anything. If it works, I leave it alone unless I have to.

WhiteZero said:

What you call convenient, i call "forced exposure" to s**t!¬ :p steam is basically valve trying to make themselfs important and why not! because they know they delivered failed pre-beta products and they accept there incompetence with pride (steam)

Problem So Happily fixed

I managed to fix the studdering problem on my system. Not by any unusual tweaks, but by doing what they've been telling me to do in the first place. (update drivers)
Every time I did a check for updated drivers though, it always appeared that mine were current. (or at least as current as was available) Anyway, I own a Dell Dimension 4600. Fixed problem by updating (not sure which update did it because I did them all before trying hl2 again) my chipset drivers, my monitor drivers (....most likely not what fixed it), my sound card drivers, (all those were done through the dell website) and last of all the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI that are from Dec 13th I think. (6.14.10.6497) My studdering was awful and made the game unplayable, so I played a bit with 2 speaker config (instead of 5.1) and it got rid of the studdering but at the cost of surround sound. Now it runs flawlessly in 5.1 :cheers:
My system is Dell Dim 4600
P4 3.2 GHz 800fsb w/htt
1GB corsair valueselect DDR 400
ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128MB
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital
thermaltake silent purepower 480w
I love hl2, fun fun game

......... man

:frown:
I'm eating crap on this one. Well, the game studders a lot less now. In fact it only really studders when I look into light. So obviously I spoke too soon. Dang I wish this would get fixed.
Still a fun game.............

WhiteZero - You are misusing this forum. This is a support forum, for people who have issues with the software. DeRanger`s post is an entirely appropriate expression of his feelings regarding the many verified flaws in this game release.

In two weeks of trying to debug this software i`ve seen far more posts of this kind than those offering meaningful help or solidarity. If your game works on your system, and you have no clue whatsoever how to help those less fortunate, then please let us discuss our issues without all the vitriolic puberty. I`m sure actually playing the game would be a more rewarding use of your time. Some of us aren`t so lucky....

WhiteZero - You are misusing this forum. This is a support forum, for people who have issues with the software.
You mean this thread, right? Because I help people out all the time in this forum. Half of the posts in this thread are flamebait, VALVe bashing hoopla anyway.

Cmon give valve break Guy's Gal's

I been there in multiplayer at the top wiping everybody out :sniper: then bam....tik...tik
error memory can not be read at blah blah u now the rest i have tried everything u can, but to no avail a little less frequent maybe... sometimes even get to finnish a map..lol but if u been gaming as long as i have q1.q2.q3.
the graphics are awesome just keep playing and before u know it the patch will be there hang 10 guys :thumbs: so just give the guys a break they did spend a few quid u know hmm think it was 40 million lol but u should appreciate the graphics awsome i think just keep practising;)

Wow, way to bring up an old thread with ya first post. Please don't do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back