Expect some downtime

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Expect some downtime tonight for a while... Since the sites launch on the 13th of May this year it has quickly become the most popular site for Half-Life 2 on the web. It now gets over half a million hits a day and has a large community growing on its forums and IRC chat channel. Because of the huge popularity of this site we are quickly outgrowing our current web host, which I am paying for out of my own pocket. This pocket is very small so I can't afford the large amount of bandwidth we are using. So unless we find someone to host us soon the site will be dead until the beginning of next month ;( Sorry chaps.

NOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..
Ho christ what are we gonna do :(
Need a Host Big time.!

Cant Planet half-life or any other of those big companys host this? Csnation is getting hosting from somewhere i think. Gamespy?

considering the amount of traffic it shouldnt be hard to get some advertisers or something in here.. that should get some money
or you could ask one of the mayor sites to host you (like planet halflife as dagz said)
or if you really wanna push it, try asking valve or sierra for hosting or something (that may be a longshot, but considering the fact this seem to be the first and biggest halflife2-only site then they might consider it)

Originally posted by Mackan
considering the amount of traffic it shouldnt be hard to get some advertisers or something in here.. that should get some money
or you could ask one of the mayor sites to host you (like planet halflife as dagz said)
or if you really wanna push it, try asking valve or sierra for hosting or something (that may be a longshot, but considering the fact this seem to be the first and biggest halflife2-only site then they might consider it)

Sierra has nothing to do with Hl2, it's going to be published by Activision...

Actually Sierra are. Activision are publishing Day of Defeat.

I thought about paypal but even with that it wouldn't get much.

Gamespy will destroy this site. they are money obessed makers, every link has a add, then they ask for $1.50 a month JUST TO TURN THEM OFF!

Advertises would be your best bet. Hell, i would click on all the banners to keep the site running...

Originally posted by TPBin
Gamespy will destroy this site. they are money obessed makers, every link has a add, then they ask for $1.50 a month JUST TO TURN THEM OFF!

Advertises would be your best bet. Hell, i would click on all the banners to keep the site running...

Actually csnation is hosted by gamespy. Rarely see ads.

I would rather see this site with several ads pasted on it than no site whatsoever...:dozey:

Banner ads sound good, I don't mind them, but please, NO POP UP ADS!!! :flame:

You could start by using a less graphic intensive forum template, Munro?

Might look nice, but a less-graphical one would use lots less bandwidth.

Also, I agree, I would rather see a site with ads than no site at all.

Back