face morphing

Rygir

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have this vague memory that there was going to be some sort of facial-morphing, so that there wouldn't be 2 identical people in all of city 17 because they used "randomly generated faces" by blending two models together... is this actually still in the game? If so, can it be used on the aliens as well? It would be fun making altnerate skins and models of ant-lions, so you could have ant-lions with darker dots, ant-lions with bigger claws and tusks etc..., just like you can have cats with stripes, cats with a fluffy tail, with long whiskers, red hair, a missing leg, big eyes, small eyes, large cats, small cats,...Etc, you get my point (I should hope so).

One thing I'm particularly hoping for is an albino. Big, pale, white albino ant-lion. With red eyes. And then some weird and sinister hunter has to go and capture it and stuff it in a cage for display at the city zoo and...nevermind that last bit :burp: .

If you start thinking about blending female models...hmm...nah, I won't go there :p

I'm pretty sure it is, I remember the same thing. I think it was in the E3 2003 video.

CrazyHarij said:
Bet they've prolly made 50~ different faces and stuff.

I finally know where you got your screen name. "Ahhhh, if you want to pass, 50 rupees!" :D 50 rupees is NOT a lot, IIRC ~100 is $1.

They said that the faces would look diffrent, but I dont know if they use a system like you described.

I doubt there'd be much point to blending aliens. The reason we notice subtle differences in the human face is that our brains have been conditioned by evolution to recognise faces. We simply wouldn't noticed subtle variation on the aliens.

Epsi said:
I doubt there'd be much point to blending aliens. The reason we notice subtle differences in the human face is that our brains have been conditioned by evolution to recognise faces. We simply wouldn't noticed subtle variation on the aliens.
I doubt VALVe would care about changing the aliens faces. I doubt they even concidered it.

Walking around the city and finding everyone having slightly different looks would be amazing, and really immersive. It's annoying enough when all the rebels have the same blue/white clothing... give them style valve!
P.s. I'd particulary love to see a big Hells Angel type guy with beard n tattoo's n piercings in Half-life 2... i just think that'd be kool.

It doesnt matter.. Ill just watch them shoot at a strider and die.. MUHAHAHHAHA!

Rygir said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have this vague memory that there was going to be some sort of facial-morphing, so that there wouldn't be 2 identical people in all of city 17 because they used "randomly generated faces" by blending two models together... is this actually still in the game? If so, can it be used on the aliens as well? It would be fun making altnerate skins and models of ant-lions, so you could have ant-lions with darker dots, ant-lions with bigger claws and tusks etc..., just like you can have cats with stripes, cats with a fluffy tail, with long whiskers, red hair, a missing leg, big eyes, small eyes, large cats, small cats,...Etc, you get my point (I should hope so).

One thing I'm particularly hoping for is an albino. Big, pale, white albino ant-lion. With red eyes. And then some weird and sinister hunter has to go and capture it and stuff it in a cage for display at the city zoo and...nevermind that last bit :burp: .

If you start thinking about blending female models...hmm...nah, I won't go there :p

Yep, HL2 has face morphing - so no 2 people will be alike. This is one of the things I'm really looking forward too!

Rygir said:

When i found out about this from the e3 vids, i was like "wow finally a game that everyone looks different in"

Same as Raziel, I dont think tatoo guy would be possible because Combine controls City 17 so much but I wouldnt say it couldnt always could happen.

oldagerocker said:
Walking around the city and finding everyone having slightly different looks would be amazing, and really immersive. It's annoying enough when all the rebels have the same blue/white clothing... give them style valve!
P.s. I'd particulary love to see a big Hells Angel type guy with beard n tattoo's n piercings in Half-life 2... i just think that'd be kool.

I think the blue suits are mandatory.

nw909 said:
I think the blue suits are mandatory.
Oh god I hope they have someone say:
"Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous overalls."

AJ Rimmer said:
Oh god I hope they have someone say:
"Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous overalls."

hahaha. :D

Man that line was a classic! in HL1:

"why do we have to wear these ridiculous ties!."

lans said:
Yep, HL2 has face morphing - so no 2 people will be alike. This is one of the things I'm really looking forward too!
Well bugger me with a fish fork... This is something I hadn't heard of and it sounds incredible! This is going to make it easier to relate to the individual NPCs, and then make it harder when they snuff it <Sobs>
Hey you could always use the Manipulator and give them a proper Roman burial by twanging them into a tree...
<Waits for an Eddie Izzard fan>

theres 87 possible different facial hair combinations for the aliens in the game

The guy that says "They put something in the water to make you forget" looks like the exact same guy in the apartment scene - first room - who thinks you were a cop.

ship said:
The guy that says "They put something in the water to make you forget" looks like the exact same guy in the apartment scene - first room - who thinks you were a cop.

That's because that is the same guy. The black guy who looks out of the window is the same as the one who is sitting on the bench in the station. Ever wondered why you can't kill NPCs in HL2 now? your gun holsters when you point at them. Therefore they'll probably be familiar people.

On the other hand - the resistance fighters will all have different faces. More importantly, no two guys will have the same face AT THE SAME time. Maybe you might see familair guys but at one point you won't see two clones standing as in Hl1.

when we play hl2, we could do a "hunt for the hot chicks" in city 17, while others would be disasters lol

Big Fat Duck said:
when we play hl2, we could do a "hunt for the hot chicks" in city 17, while others would be disasters lol

*RoguePsi add's to list of reasons to buy HL2

ship said:

Actually it isnt. That guy is older, whereas the guy in the apartment is slightly younger.

I guess the city17 is one big inbred community so everyone looks like each other but is slightly different :p

Well.. I think face models are all pretty similar (like one for white males, one for black males, one for white females and one for black females and maybe some different hairstyles) but they just wrap on a different facetexture. A lot like Operation Flashpoint where it was very simple to make new faces.

guise said:
theres 87 possible different facial hair combinations for the aliens in the game

I'm assuming that's a joke (my irony detector may be malfunctioning)?

Epsi said:

Cfr my variations on the "cat" theme. Also, I think an albino WILL stand out :cheese: .

oldagerocker said:
that wasn't Irony, that was sarcasm.
The use of words expressing something other than there literal intention.
Now that! Is! Irooonyyyyy!

oldagerocker said:
... give them style valve!
Vaguely reminds me of that song "camouflage"...(you know, Vietnam,big marine,...).

nofx said:
Same as Raziel, I dont think tatoo guy would be possible because Combine controls City 17 so much but I wouldnt say it couldnt always could happen.
An iron rod and some hot coal can go a long way...

A bunch of people said you wouldn't notice small changes in the aliens.
Well, notice I never said 'small' changes (face analogy : Slightly bigger or curved nose, crooked eyes,...). I'm talking big changes (face comparison : Red hair, beard, piercings, tattoo's, Chinese, African...). I.e. reddish instead of standard yellowish ant-lions, or with tiger stripes... Or a nice rugged ridge to make them look even more intimidating... :devil:

@oldagerocker : It's a cool idea...them lame worker outfits need some spicing up... if you can afford guns, don't forget the damn warpaint!

Back