Family Ski (Wii)

I'm not sure if another gimmick is what the Wii needs ... and that was an incredibly unintentionally hilarious video.

Ah, the cries of gimmick once again. Just like the DS ;)

Enough now. Anyone who feels the Wii nothing but a gimmick gets my tard award and needs not contribute to this thread.

will be getting the wii fit(is that what family ski and what the balance board comes with?)

One step closer to having this on the wii:

konamipolice9112001ik6.jpg

Well I'd play that. I'd be happier if there were a snowboarding component too.

Well I'd play that. I'd be happier if there were a snowboarding component too.

Yeh, something like 1080 would be cool. One of my first loves in gaming was this old spectrum game called Horace Goes Skiing:

a_med_game.jpg.jpg

It looked andplayed like shite, but i'd spend hours on it. Imagine being a kid and seeing something like Family Ski!. It's almost worth having one just to see their face when they start playing :)

Enough now. Anyone who feels the Wii nothing but a gimmick gets my tard award and needs not contribute to this thread.

... It's a board that detects weight shifts. I thought they already had this in the "Wii Fit" game?

Seriously, leaning back and forth on a board to simulate skiing ... how fun will that really be? How many other games will that work for? Skateboarding maybe...

I didn't say the Wii was a gimmick, I said this was. The main problem with the Wii is that developers seem more concerned with justifying the controller than making good games. Most of the stuff out now is gimmicky, Nintendo is the only developer to have really made any good games on it. Adding another "specialty" device to the mix will only exacerbate the problem.

And calling someone a "tard" for disagreeing with you is ... well it doesn't make you look all that intelligent yourself. This is a public forum and I expressed a relevant opinion on the topic ... agree, disagree, ignore, whatever ... just don't be an ass.

Well said Warbie, well said.

I love my Wii & I want that game.

-MRG

... It's a board that detects weight shifts. I thought they already had this in the "Wii Fit" game?

Seriously, leaning back and forth on a board to simulate skiing ... how fun will that really be? How many other games will that work for? Skateboarding maybe...

I didn't say the Wii was a gimmick, I said this was. The main problem with the Wii is that developers seem more concerned with justifying the controller than making good games. Most of the stuff out now is gimmicky, Nintendo is the only developer to have really made any good games on it. Adding another "specialty" device to the mix will only exacerbate the problem.

And calling someone a "tard" for disagreeing with you is ... well it doesn't make you look all that intelligent yourself. This is a public forum and I expressed a relevant opinion on the topic ... agree, disagree, ignore, whatever ... just don't be an ass.

Well said smwscott. However, do you have a Wii? I mean own one, not "used" one. There is a reason it blew both the PS3 & 360 out of the water sales wise since it came out.

It's just cutting edge. Not graphics wise or audio wise or even hardware wise, i'm talking more "FUN" & "Interactive" wise. True, I don't have a PS3 or 360 & for the most part, unknowingly I have had more consoles by Nintendo than any other maker, so perhaps i'll be called a fanboy, but I just enjoy playing my Wii more than I did playing the PS3 or 360. The fact that my daughter is young & so can grasp the gameplay of the Wii, is a lage factor i'll admit. Still..

-MRG

I imagine it'll be good fun. It's something that imediately jumped out at me as a good idea when the weight board thing was announced and something that wouldn't interest me for a second on a pad (much like Wii Bowling). I particularly like the way it'll detect when you crouch and lean forward to go faster and i'd love a reimagining of Magic Carpet and some decent snowboarding/rafting/skating games.

I just get fed up with the way gimmick gets thrown around in regards to the Wii and the DS. I know someone who uses the weight board with Wii Fit and him and his family enjoy it greatly. I plan on getting one as do some of my mates, my gfs parents, and my brother - the Wii all makes sense when you're around people who play it often. If it results in nothing more than silly competitive execise sessions for a few months i'll be happy.

Some people fail to distinguish between a gimmick and something that doesn't appeal to them.

Well said smwscott. However, do you have a Wii? I mean own one, not "used" one. There is a reason it blew both the PS3 & 360 out of the water sales wise since it came out.

It's just cutting edge. Not graphics wise or audio wise or even hardware wise, i'm talking more "FUN" & "Interactive" wise. True, I don't have a PS3 or 360 & for the most part, unknowingly I have had more consoles by Nintendo than any other maker, so perhaps i'll be called a fanboy, but I just enjoy playing my Wii more than I did playing the PS3 or 360. The fact that my daughter is young & so can grasp the gameplay of the Wii, is a lage factor i'll admit. Still..

-MRG

I don't own one, but my roommate does and I've gotten a good bit of use out of it. I like many of the games a lot. I fully understand why it sold better than the other two consoles, and think thats probably a positive sign. It's especially fun when played with multiplayer.

However the ratio of crap to quality is pretty heavily skewed. Most of the games on the system are mini game fests, unoriginal party games, or shoehorned ports. For the most part none of these are enjoyable and the ports usually squander the control scheme and are worse than the originals. I would say that even Twilight Princess is more enjoyable on the Gamecube.

Of course there are gems. Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid are great, Brawl will be awesome. There are good games on the system, it's just that so many more seem to suffer from the controls rather than benefit. The developers just HAVE to find zany new ways to make you swing the controller around, usually at the detriment of gameplay. It's like when developers port from 360 to PS3 and throw in a bunch of crap motion controls that everyone turns off immediately, but with the Wii you can't. Before new peripherals are added I'd rather see third party developers start using what they already have halfway effectively.

I just get fed up with the way gimmick gets thrown around in regards to the Wii and the DS. I know someone who uses the weight board with Wii Fit and him and his family enjoy it greatly. I plan on getting one as do some of my mates, my gfs parents, and my brother - the Wii all makes sense when you're around people who play it often. If it results in nothing more than silly competitive execise sessions for a few months i'll be happy.

Some people fail to distinguish between a gimmick and something that doesn't appeal to them.

Good point. If this was a gimmick that interested me I would probably be excited about it, and wouldn't have said anything against it. However, in order for it to be a really good gameplay device it needs to have significant potential. I don't see the sensor board being used for many different kinds of games, nor do I see it staying fresh for for very long. Gimmicks are cool, but the game behind it needs to be at least as good or you'll grow bored very fast, which has been my problem with most third party Wii games.

One step closer to having this on the wii:

konamipolice9112001ik6.jpg

Having played it many times, it's more of a game to be played amongst a group of friends so you can **** with them while they're playing. As a stand-alone game though, it's not all that great.

I'm not sure if another gimmick is what the Wii needs ... and that was an incredibly unintentionally hilarious video.

And Nintendo continues to laugh all the way to the bank.

Just so we're clear, because I do NOT thing people understand the meaning of the word gimmick. Straight from the dictionary for marketing...a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. In other words, the gimmicky feature can be removed and the product will still function as normal.

So, the board being used ENTIRELY to detect your direction of travel in this game is a gimmick? You do NOT know what a gimmick is. Warbie is correct, that word gets thrown around WAY too much. Neither the Wii NOR the DS could function as designed without their "gimmicky" features. That, in itself, means said features are not gimmicks.

Back