Favorite job as a player in Day of Defeat?

What is the role you prefer in DoD

• Rifleman

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Assault

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Support

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Sniper

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Machine-Gunner

• Bazooka

• I play whatever my team may need, or just what suits me.

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

The Kaiser

Reaction score
Hope this thread is allowed, and if I can do the poll option correctly. Anywoo...

So, as the title states, what is your favorite position to play as on a team in DoD? I'm warming up to the Rifleman status, although the Axis one is more favorable than the Allies. I used to prefer Assault before, but the recoil and lower damage annoyed me, whereas the Rifle usually can kill in only 1 or so hits. I'll take a machine-gun whenever I can however, so long as I can get a good spot with it. I absolutely abhore Snipers though, since I'm not very good at that type of role. Alyways been more of a spray-and-pray kind of guy. =D

You?

(Not too sure on how to do a poll, but I'd like to get one up if possible, let me see...)

Sniper...I dont really like alot of the weapon models....IE. the thompson....I think it sounds weak....I think a great idea for any mod or game should be to allow the user to adjust the volume of every weapon. Its somewhat annoying shooting the thing and hearing this crappy low dull sound. Anyway, sry for the rant...:)

I like to cycle through the classes as I play a map. 10 minutes assault, 5 minutes Rifleman, 10 minutes MG, etc. Whatever I feel like being. So I'm pretty good with all of them.
My worst is sniping though, I don't use it much unless I need to take out an MG or other sniper, because if I try to hit anything that's actually moving I end up failing repeatedly D:

And Tyguy, you do know you can customize the sounds right? Download a sound pack or two and try some out.

Some here:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/files/Day_of_Defeat_Source/Sound_Packs;6690
And here:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/soundcats/38

sniper is the most fun for me because ive been awping in cs for 7 years, so it just is natual to have a sniper rifle for me. My second MOST fun is the MG but i rarely use it just cuz it requires ur teamates to watch ur back and help u move up to mount the MG, and in public servers, u can never rely on anyone to do anything for u. otherwise i like the thompson cuz i enjoy doing rambo sprees :)

machine gunner by far
you won't get past me very easily - although it's impossible to get capture points with that class :(

Bazooka! Blow someone apart, take their gun and have a great side arm.

Course my favorite weapon to find is the sniper rifle. Otherwise my favs are rifleman and sniper, everything else I just take off enemy bodies.

Idonotbelonghere said:
I like to cycle through the classes as I play a map. 10 minutes assault, 5 minutes Rifleman, 10 minutes MG, etc. Whatever I feel like being. So I'm pretty good with all of them.
My worst is sniping though, I don't use it much unless I need to take out an MG or other sniper, because if I try to hit anything that's actually moving I end up failing repeatedly D:

And Tyguy, you do know you can customize the sounds right? Download a sound pack or two and try some out.

Some here:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/files/Day_of_Defeat_Source/Sound_Packs;6690
And here:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/soundcats/38

Ya, call me lazy....but ill give it a try...thanks

I'm quite a good rifleman, but assault can be fun.

Where do I put these files?....i dont see the right dir.

I dont really have a favourite role, although I dont play rifleman or bazooka much. Im pretty good at sniping and being MG, because I often know the best places to set up.
But I love a good rampage with assault or support; the times when I have had the best score has always been with asault or support.

john3571000 said:
machine gunner by far
you won't get past me very easily - although it's impossible to get capture points with that class :(
:|
I often play MG and get more caps than anyone in the server. :D

I play pretty much any class, but the job I usually take is being a MG/Sniper exterminator(As rifleman/Rocket) and capper(All classes).

Class order for me is something like:
1.Rifle(kar >>> garand)
2.Support
3.Rocket(Bazooka >>> Panzer)
4.MG(30cal > MG42)
5.Assault (Thompson >>> MP40)
6.Sniper(I never use axis sniper, because I have the kar, but I sometimes use the Spring as a rifle since I don't like the garand)

I often play MG and get more caps than anyone in the server.

I usually notice the Machine Gunners have the most kills of any other user on a server. The trick though for them is to actually get into a spot that the opposing side won't expect, and after a while, having to move before the same guys come back and grenade you. If not... well, I usually tally up more deaths than kills.

I generally play as a rifleman. Although I feel that my style of play should make me an assault. Always rushing, taking flags and getting in the line of fire.

I love nades. :D
Often I'll use all of my nades and have some kills before I even see an enemy. I really like the rifle nades in DoD:S since they go a lot farther. Never like it when teammates throw a short nade and TK.

Tyguy said:
Where do I put these files?....i dont see the right dir.

If you just have steam installed in the default location then the dir should be:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\(Email)\Day Of Defeat Source\dod\sound

If the 'sound' folder isn't there, just create it.
Inside the pack(s) you downloaded, they should have the 'weapons,' 'ambient,' etc folders in there, and you just move those into the 'sound' folder.

I'm a hell of a good rifleman; in clan matches they always make me do that D: because I get scores like this some of the time:

dod4towersbdsdoc00054at.jpg

dodconvoyb200037rh.jpg

still, i like being Assault or Support more. Zooka and MG can be fun, but I don't ever use Sniper (too damn EASY, so boring too)

Random FTW. Although I haven't played DOD for a long time, now.

Back