finally getting a console, but which one?

Should I buy a 360 or PS3?

• xbox 360

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
Neither. Nor a Wii (well maybe), or a new PC.

You don't need a video game console. There is plenty of other funner stuff to do.

I'm with Gray Fox, the PS controllers were so...comfy to play with, I thought. Wasn't too big, so you had to stretch a bit to hit some things, and not so many buttons in various locations where you had to think for a second, "Which button does what, and where is button x?"

Though, obviously the xbox controller is good, as people love it. Just not my cup of tea.
It also does that stupid thing that the SNES did with the letters - A B, X Y, except it's flipped them. For me I always have to think "is it A that's the PS's X button, or B?" whenever I play a bad 360 port. Naming the other buttons bumpers and triggers is equally dumb. Horrible controller.

If you do get a 360, at least be certain that it is manufactured after June 2007. And, without knowing your budget, get a PS3 if you can afford it and don't already have a Blu-Ray player.

I have the same sentiments as some of the others. If you have an up to date PC already (one that can run recent games without much trouble), you would be better off with a PS3. You'll have access to a lot of exclusives that won't be available on any other platform, as well as an updatable Blu-ray player if you ever want to experience HD movies.

Look at the exclusives for both, but the PS3 is easily the most bang for one's buck. It is a multimedia beast. The 360 has only a few games that are just on it and even the best of those are on PC now.

Xbox 360 all the way. A much bigger library than PS3's by far, and for the record, I've never had RROD and I play it every day. I got it for christmas and its nearing summer and it still works great.

Yeah I would like to mention that too my 360 is from the launch and it still hasn't died on me and i play it alot.

PS3. 360s die after 24 hours and PS3 is going to be the eventual victor in this war.

Coincidentally, my Xbox 360 just arrived today. GTAIV is soon to follow. A bit late to the GTAIV party, but I don't care.

I'm beginning to think the OP is lying and just made this thread to start another PS3 vs. Xbox 360 war.

Fortunately, he failed, because people seem to be a lot more intelligent than they were a year ago. Besides all the people just posting 'xbox360' or 'ps3' as if the poll doesn't already present such useless information as 'which console do more people have'. Because, as pointed out, people are going to vote for which console they have.

OP has yet to reply giving us his answers and more info on what he wants in a console...

true considering a lack of info from him we can assume that.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if the PS3 has more physics processing power than the 360?

I'm beginning to think the OP is lying and just made this thread to start another PS3 vs. Xbox 360 war.

Just got home actually. :p

To those asking about my PC, it's 4-5 years old and barely manages TF2. I am definitely getting a new one in the near future.

I'm looking for the one that will give me more bang for the buck, the one that I would still be using a lot in a few years.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 360. I'm an MP guy, the lineup on the 360 looks a lot more attractive right now, and I don't really care for MGS :D

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if the PS3 has more physics processing power than the 360?

The PS3 is able to handle many of the more complex physics calculations used by Ageia's PhysX. Here is an PS3 fluid simulation demo made by Airtight games that runs on PhysX, and as far as I know, this has not been done on the 360:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/8219...e-untitled/videos/airtight_040706_fluids.html

I may be wrong though, because Sony licensed PhysX, while Microsoft has not.

To those asking about my PC, it's 4-5 years old and barely manages TF2. I am definitely getting a new one in the near future.

I'm looking for the one that will give me more bang for the buck, the one that I would still be using a lot in a few years.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 360. I'm an MP guy, the lineup on the 360 looks a lot more attractive right now, and I don't really care for MGS :D

Considering everything you just said get a 360.

It has more raw processing power, but it takes more effort to utilise it due to the complexity of coding for the Cell processor.

And I agree with Lambda, especially if you're a multiplayer kind of guy. There are many shades of gray in the 360/PS3 debate, but nobody can legitimately deny that Xbox Live is a much better online service than PSO.

Buy a 360.

Done and done.

from all the technical breakdowns, they said the PS3 architecture was not going to be good for AI and Physics. Processing them will take a huge chunk out of performance for other things - like graphics/framerate

I'm sure I would have already got a 360 but so many people on these forums say theirs broke. The exclusive games are what interest me. Like Forza 2, Fable 2, stuff like that

My little brother has had one for at least a year and it works fine though.

Don't let the possibility of a 360 dying put you off if it has games you want. Life's to short and good games are too few.

If forced to choose between PS3 and 360 i'd go for the PS3, but only because it doubles as a Blu-ray player. If the decision was based purely on gaming, it'd be the 360.

I got a 360 'cause I needed a DVD player + GTAIV had just come out so it seemed like a good idea at the time...

No, it wasn't. I regret getting it. GTAIV's kinda shitty, and there's... no other games. Mass Effect's out on PC... CoD 4 on PC... Halo's retarded... hopefully something cool will come out later to make me glad I have it. Soul Calibur maybe... or some JRPG I don't know about, haven't played one of those in a while. :p

No, it wasn't. I regret getting it. GTAIV's kinda shitty, and there's... no other games. Mass Effect's out on PC... CoD 4 on PC... Halo's retarded... hopefully something cool will come out later to make me glad I have it. Soul Calibur maybe... or some JRPG I don't know about, haven't played one of those in a while. :p

This is what I'm thinking, except I played GTA4 at a friend's house and fackin loved it :E

I've decided to vote PS3. Like Bad^Hat said, I don't see what's so fun about shipping things in boxes and dealing with Microsoft's customer service 24/7. :p
The 360 is basically an expensive game of hot potato tbh. Just go to the supermarket, buy some potatoes instead of a 360, and then invite over some friends. You'll have yourself an equally exciting experience at only a fraction of the cost! ;)

Some of the PS3's games are too movie-like for my tastes. It doesn't really matter though as it's not like I can afford to buy every single PS3 game anyways.
For every crappy PS3 exclusive I don't like, there's an equally sweet one I must have one day. Note: ONE DAY ;(

Wii wii wii wii

How can Wii help?!

360. I don't care about Blu-Ray, since I rarely watch movies in the first place. Letters' thoguhts on games are kinda shitty. I only buy the really good games anyway. If I had a PS3, I'd get MGS4, but that's it. So a PS3 doesn't seem very valuable to me. My 360 has never RRoD'd on me, and I don't see the big deal. I don't know anyone who's had it happen, and if it did I'm sure the block or console itself was in a non-ventilated area. Be sure to remember that.

On a similar note, Wii's the way to go.

Playstation 3

Just got one.
Becouse it's awesome. have yet to play any games exept gta4 thou. Going to get me some MGS tomorow i think. GONNA BE SWEET!i!

I'm grabbing myself an Elite Friday, yeah they might have the RRoD issues, but I don't really worry about it, got a warranty after all. PS3 has the YLoD so its not like its so much better than the other and vice versa. As I look at it, the games coming out to the 360(IE. BF BC and a few others) made me make that desicion. My "gaming" pc is showing age and I don't have the money to dump on another $1000+ build when I'm looking at getting another car in the next month or so.

well, since today is now and the mgs4 bundle comes out midnight at some locations... if you can get your hands on one. $499 for 80 gig Ps3, DS3 and one of the best games of the year. you just cant go wrong with that purchase. the DS3 + mgs4 alone is $100 so think of it as a 399 80 gig ps3... just cant get a better deal than that seeing 40 gigs are 399

I vote both!

I picked a 360 up because of old friends and Live, but relatively soon I'm getting a PS3. I might wait a few months for a new deal to spring up.

But anyway, while it's true 360 frequently has PC games on it, it takes delays to get the games to the PC usually. Fable 2 is going to be awesome, and right now they're unsure if it will be released on the PC at all--if I recall correctly. It may have changed.

Aside from MGS4, I can't think of a PS3 exclusive title I'd kill to have. Maybe the new Final Fantasy, but the last four sucked, so it's not like I'm looking forward to it. Most games are going to be shared between the two that I really care about, like Resident Evil 5.

360!

*Edit* For those wondering about the RROD, do NOT worry about that. The latest models have improved so much that it's barely even an issue anymore. Yes, it still happens, but hell even PS3's and Wii's break down.

It's no longer 30% or some crazy batshit number that's been thrown around, that's for sure.

Thats what I've been hearing aswell, less of the RRoD with the newer models. I mean any console can break down, so that really cannot influence your purchase of any of them, all 3 are good buys.

My question is whether it's worth buying the cheapo Xbox w/o hard drive. Nowadays it comes with a memory card and a wireless controller, so it's not like I'd need to buy add-ons. I just can't see the benefit of having a hard drive on a 360 when I have one on my laptop computer.

Like, if the ?119 Xbox isn't a worthy buy, I'm probably going to save the money and get a lovely new computer in time for GTA4's PC release at Christmas.

Provided GTA4 actually comes out on PC by then, which it very well might not :p

As far as data storage goes, the 256MB memory card that comes with the Xbox 360 Arcade is not all that much space. With game updates, content downloads, savegames, and so forth, you'll run out of space faster than you think. And if you plan on doing any online gaming at all, you'll all but require the hard drive.

Yep. The hard drive is pretty much necessary unless all you plan on doing is playing a few games. If you plan to use it online and want to check out any of the arcade games or demos, the memory card won't cut it. Also, the hard drive is way too expensive on it's own, so you really want to get it with a package instead of grabbing one later, if you're going to get it at all.

I dunno, though, content downloads? I don't care. Demos? I can play 'em round a friend's house. I know it's nice to have the option but I just can't think of anything I would possibly want to download off Xbox Live.

Back