First Half-Life: Source Screenshot!

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HL2Fallout member, target_practice, recently e-mailed Valve's Gabe Newell for information on Half-Life: Source requesting a comparison shot between Half-Life and Half-Life Source. Doug Lombardi replied with these images:[br]
<span align="center"></span>​
[br]As you can see, despite the game not getting a complete overhaul like Counter-Strike: Source has, the game still looks considerably better in the Source engine. The noticable differences will be the addition of world and ragdoll physics, the shader system, dynamic lights and shadows.[br]
[br]
You can find the original forum thread here.

Itchy looks scary! Too bad you can't see the barnacles :(

In that shot, you really can't see the dynamic lighting or shadows. Regardless, the water looks pretty hot.

Not a complete remake but that is understandable, still looks amazing.

Holy shit! I didn't think it'd look that good. I guess I'm gonna replay hl1 before I get on with hl2!

I'm gonna play HL2 first. I mean playing Source in anything but HL2 will ruin the experience for the first time! Maybe I'll play HL2, then HL1:S, then HL2 again.

Is this real? :O It looks quite pants to be honest.

Thats cool, and i will play HL2 first. Ive waited this long I dont want to wait to play HL2,to play a game Ive already beaten about 5 times. Although it looks better :)

The water looks scary to me. You never know when something will jump out at you. EEEEKKK!!!

Looks cool, but too bad its not bundled with HL2 ce or is it ?

Except for the water, it looks exactly the same as Half-Life, i.e. ass by today's standards. Still, since it's only a port, and not a remake like CS:S is, that's to be expected.

This was expected, Valve said long ago that they wouldn't really update textures or poly-counts in the levels. Thats why it doesn't look so much different. Of course nothing will be stopping the modding community from switching to alot of higher resolution textures to make everything look better.

Munro said:
... It looks quite pants...
Huh? Help me out here. Where did "pants" come from - and what does it signify?

Hehe "pants"

I believe that HL:S will be shipping with HL2. But don't regard this as canon. I only believe I read it somewhere. But if you guys don't know for sure, I sure don't. I would assume that it would, given that it is a port and not a total remake.

It will be awesome to see if the mod community gets together and remakes it with high-res textures and high-poly models.

Fun fun fun.

I originally thought of playing HL through again with the source engine before playing HL2, but I think, as has been stated, that I want the source engine to come at me in all its glory.

I second the query on "pants". Is it Brit, or East America, or...?

I thought it would look a bit better. Sure the water looks very nice, but the walls don't look that good

Are they changing the npc models? if so i wonder if they will keep g-man the same as half-life 2 model or make him look younger since half life 2 is supposed to take place 15 years after 1

It looks crap IMO check out the ground texture in the bottom of the picture (left side).

Water looks ok i geuss.

Everyone is saying it looks crap. That is because it is Half Life 1, with Source effects. EFFECTS. Not textures, models or sounds. Just Source effects.

th1nk said:
Reading that thread on HL2fallout, I am happy to have HL2.net.
Look! :O
I've edited the insult out of your thread and it still gets your point across, without making yourself look immature. :O

Who'd have thunk it?

Oh, okay! ;D I was just angry at that moment, because they claimed it was fake, although it is proven that it is real. I just can't stand people who act like that. Sorry for the insult. :X

th1nk said:
Oh, okay! ;D I was just angry at that moment, because they claimed it was fake, although it is proven that it is real. I just can't stand people who act like that. Sorry for the insult. :X
Nah it's ok, it wasn't as bad as a lot of other people have done ;)

JinkyWilliams said:
I second the query on "pants". Is it Brit, or East America, or...?
British, I'm pretty sure. Something can be "pants" or you can say "pants!" as an exclamation. British pants are of course better known by most as underpants.

And this has nothing to do with Half Life 2, funnily enough.

Anybody saying that HL:S looks a bit rubbish/pants, must realise that it's the exact same low-res levels and textures and models, as were used in the original game. They've just imported it into Worldcraft and recompiled them into Source (with maybe the odd tweak to get the shiny water working). This is what people will be able to do with their Half Life levels that they've made, which is probably what's more exciting as there'll be custom made deathmatch levels for Source out pretty quickly, even if they are old maps... then people can start sprucing them up with physics and nice effects :)

I think that Half-Life 2 will look just that much better if you go through half-life source first. You won't be blown away, but you will enjoy the better textures and water. Then when get to the end and continue the journey. Likely you will be that much more amazed with HL2.

Hello? People saying it looks like crap?

All they've done is ported HL1 to the HL2 engine. If you expect HL1 to instantly look like HL2, you're not being reasonable. I've truthfully very impressed with the effects, I expected everyone else to be when I entered this thread.

Thanks Valve for doing this for us, Half Life looks far more alive than it did before. :D

meh, looks like HL (didnt expect anything different though)
looks the same (if a lil worse) than the beta leak thingy way back when (no not the hl2 leak, the HL1 port)
in fact the first picture looks horribly photoshopped for some reason. where the model is coming out of the water, there is some really crappy rudementary blur that looks like it was done after the fact.
also why does the water look sub par in comparison to everything else?

I definately wont pay for it seperately from HL2.

DigitalAssassin said:
Hello? People saying it looks like crap?

All they've done is ported HL1 to the HL2 engine. If you expect HL1 to instantly look like HL2, you're not being reasonable. I've truthfully very impressed with the effects, I expected everyone else to be when I entered this thread.

Thanks Valve for doing this for us, Half Life looks far more alive than it did before. :D

If they fixed the over-bright lighting, I'd be impressed. Currently, however, it looks like there is leak in the map. Or rather, it looks full bright.

Very unprofessional regardless of it being free. They need to reduce the brightness levels the lights are giving off.

Thats a direct port no? other then the water effects i'd say meh

Damn you just can't please anybody.

It's a freaking port what do you guys expect. The new game is Half life 2 not this port. Just be glad they're doing something to make half life 1 look a little better.

I thought everything in HL was going to be changed when it's ported to Source. Like it was a mod for HL2. That's why i though it would look just as good as Half-Life 2

god damn, so if you loaded up any hl1 bsp into the hl2 engine, this is what itd look like :O

No, more like Valve took the original Half-Life rmf files and converted them in Hammer to the new Half-Life 2 format.

It's not a simple manner of copying and pasting bsp files.

Also as you can tell, the lighting is quite different. They couldn't reproduce the same lighting output the original Half-Life had. Light-map information is saved in BSP files.

wow.. HL:Source here i come!
err.. i mean i'll be anxiously awaiting.
the water looks beautiful :)

$niper said:
No, more like Valve took the original Half-Life rmf files and converted them in Hammer to the new Half-Life 2 format.

It's not a simple manner of copying and pasting bsp files.

Also as you can tell, the lighting is quite different. They couldn't reproduce the same lighting output the original Half-Life had. Light-map information is saved in BSP files.

i should know this lol, any way its amazing when you see new "stuff/effects" put in old things as you see there in the screens...

Back