First thread :D (general discussion)

I certainly hope not. It looks so clean right now, hate to have a distracting UI screw it up.

You could always turn that off anyway in the console, but yeah I hope there isn't one.

What do you think the death thing is going to be like? HL2 where it's always first person with no ragdoll showing, or CSS style where you see your character flail about?

I don't see why there would be an hp counter. So far, everything we've seen from Portal has been "Do or die." You either make a portal pathway in time, or you're toast. Er, cake.

I think the death might be similar to Freeman's. Maybe the woman's voice will react, saying some cryptic and sinister line.

Now you're thinking with portals!

I don't think so... not really a need tbh

But there are sentry guns... How can you work out without hp?

Maybe the sentry guns don't damage you, they could restrict you in some other way.

Nice, always wondered why it didnt have its own forum.

Sentry guns + fall on height = HP

the way this could works is you do actually have a hidden hp that regenerates quickly. This way the only way you could die is standing in a turrets fire for a period of time or falling that does a lot of damage all at once.

But then turret's aren't really a threat, you could just run past them with no problems. All we've seen so far is the "naked" (no HEV) damage like in Point Insertion.

Your health could possibly regenerate after you stop taking damage from turrets, or perhaps when you transition to the next level. I've heard that there is no fall damage.

No fall damage would be lame.

The health counter being part of the crosshair, like one of the options there is for HL2, would be acceptable, imo.

Riomhaire is correct, there is no fall damage.

You take damage from turrets, stuff falling on you, damage if you fall onto something harmful...but no fall damage from actually falling.

Wow, that is very lame. Will there be bottomless pits to fall into and die?

Wow, that is very lame. Will there be bottomless pits to fall into and die?
Erm, how can you say it's lame if you haven't played the game? Obviously the puzzles will work in such a way that you can't just fall to the solution every time.

Erm, how can you say it's lame if you haven't played the game? Obviously the puzzles will work in such a way that you can't just fall to the solution every time.

I'm thinking about like, falling out of a misplaced portal and splatting on the ground, instead of just being able to go and do it again. Actually, that would just waste time. Nevermind. But it does seem unrealistic to me.

I have a theory that it's all going to be one mistake = instant death.

Or just endless fustration.

starrynightnn6.jpg

I have a theory that it's all going to be one mistake = instant death.

sounds like the impossible quiz stuff.

The HP should regenerate because it would be so annoying to climb up this room and lose health little by little because of heights and finally die near the top, kinda like some of the kz maps in cs. If turrets shoot at you, you should lose a lot of health and die if you don't get a hint, but it should regenerate.

Anything other than that would only be a bad game play decision.

There is fall damage, just not when you fling yourself through a portal at high speed or if you fall on certain materials, because that would make some puzzles impossible.

That's how i understood it, at least.

Old Shack News Portal Preview
There is little focus on health or other player statistics; there is in fact no HUD at all. Health is very much downplayed, and regenerates over time as in Infinity Ward's Call of Duty or Bungie's Halo 2. Still, there are frequently situations that are genuinely dangerous. "Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory score," relays the monotone narrator in one room, "followed by death."

Health is very much downplayed, and regenerates over time as in Infinity Ward's Call of Duty or Bungie's Halo 2.

What an awful comparison.

Back