For The Steam Pros...

tokin

Reaction score
Well im on dial-up, 56kps. I downloaded steam 2.0 from some site, i know it is the newest one. Question is, people say you can play CS 1.6 through it, but when i downloaded steam i believe it was less than 1MB. Soooo i click monitor and see if there is stuff i can download and shit and there is nothing..can someone please explain me through the process and also how the hl2 videos will show up on steam this upcoming monday...i would really appreciate it. Also how in the hell do you end up adding friends? There is no tab to click and add them....for all the pro-steamers please help.

Ok.

Manage to get to the games section. Right click on cs and add to games. If already in games, right click on CS and choose properties or whatever. Where it says update...change the thing in the pull down menu so it says always keep updated. Voila.

HL2 videos will show up automaticaly the next time you launch Steam when the videos are out.

To add friends, right click on the icon in systray and click on Friends. Right click in the friends window and choose add friends. Follow on-screen instructions.

thanks a bunch man, ok so activity is going on in the monitor section since its downloading cs 1.6...correct? I dont have any games on this laptop, just...aim and steam. One more question...if i have to exit steam during the download will it pick up from where it left off last? Thanks alot.

Yes, there is suppose to be activity. Yes, if you exit Steam it will automaticaly resume when you go back.

and it should be a true adventure to play the current steam beta on dialup :|

Report as things progress :>

Oh ya, forgot to mention, Steam was meant for a broadband connection.

Little do people know, you can play everything from steam without acctually having and valve products installed at all, It really bugs me when people argue about you have to have counter-strike installed to acctully play the one on steam. :flame:

actually you do have to have cs installed because how else would they give you cs? they wouldn't upload the full version of the game, and if you are correct then they wouldn't make any money just giving away games for free on steam

Well, they do give away free games. CS 1.6 and 1.5. HL because its 5 years old!

Originally posted by deepers
actually you do have to have cs installed because how else would they give you cs? they wouldn't upload the full version of the game, and if you are correct then they wouldn't make any money just giving away games for free on steam

Urm...I dont have any valve products installed, I havent got CS 1.5, I havent got the original HL installed...nothing. Guess what, steam gave me the full version of HL CS 1.6, so there :p

Sorry if I have offended you :)

uh yeah if you want the following games are available through steam at the moment...

CS 1.6
HL
TFC
OF
DEDICATED SERVER
RICOCHET

and a few others...and yes you can download each one, by just adding them to your list...then follow jhero's steps that he posted up there ^^^^^

Back