For those second gussing L4D2

Because it looks identical to the first game.
But, after watching that vid my interest has been piqued a little bit.

Regardless of being an amazing game, I think still its far too soon, which goes against valves usual nature. Not to mention the number of people that will be split playing original and this because they cannot afford l4d2, or do not want to get it for whatever reasons.

Regardless of being an amazing game, I think still its far too soon, which goes against valves usual nature. Not to mention the number of people that will be split playing original and this because they cannot afford l4d2, or do not want to get it for whatever reasons.

So, people could afford the first one but not the second one a year later? As for the people who "do not want" to get it, i'm guessing you refer to the boycott? That's a good thing then, I won't have to hear them whining about the game.

As for, far too soon, I don't get it? A year is enough, why would you want to wait more? I can't speak for you, but I'm really bored with L4D now as playing it has become a routine: hide there, camp that corner, run to the witch and headshot her with a auto shotty, yawwwnnn... Was this game supposed to be scary or at least fast paced? It stopped a long time ago (for me at least). So I welcome L4D2 hoping it improves on L4D.

My 2cents.

You might be bored, but still in valves usual nature in practically all their works, it seems wrong.

As for simply ignoring the people who dont get the second game, its simply not a turn the cheek situation. There will be a lesser player base, as its SPLIT between 2 games!

The fact that l4d2 is great or not with its abundance or lack of new features, the community itself will still be significantly split, and less players will be playing in either respective game than when there was a single l4d.

It would be like if WoW players without expansion were 100% absolutely completely split with players with the first, second, and respectively first from second. And to play previously released content on previous expansion or vanilla WoW required you to exit the game, and restart with the respective version. Its simply not as enjoyable, and it ruins the experience as a community by splitting it.

it does seem strange for Valve to be releasing the followup so soon when we DON'T HAVE EP3 YET!!

You might be bored, but still in valves usual nature in practically all their works, it seems wrong.

This is where you're wrong. VALVE has a habit of "scrapping" their games and starting over (they did it with half life, half life 2 and probably with ep3). It seems that they wanted to do the same with L4D, only, they realized they wanted to scrap the game and start over AFTER the game was released.

As for simply ignoring the people who dont get the second game, its simply not a turn the cheek situation. There will be a lesser player base, as its SPLIT between 2 games!

So? I only need me and 7 other people to play left4dead(2). I'm not so sure how many people will stay with the original instead of getting left4dead2, but I'm convinced it won't be many...

It would be like if WoW players without expansion were 100% absolutely completely split with players with the first, second, and respectively first from second. And to play previously released content on previous expansion or vanilla WoW required you to exit the game, and restart with the respective version. Its simply not as enjoyable, and it ruins the experience as a community by splitting it.

In L4D(2) you join a server of maximum 8 people for a short period of time, In WoW you join static servers of 200 000+ slots. That analogy makes no sense at all.

I only tend to play with my group of friends as L4D doesnt really have the same public server community side that other games with larger servers have, its just the nature of the game, a split wouldnt affect me so much, as all the people I play with will move to L4D2.

Anyway there was a weekend deal for L4D about 4 months after it came out that reduced the price by half, I doubt it would take long for all the serious players to migrate, even the people who acctully DO plan on skipping it at launch.

Because it looks identical to the first game.
But, after watching that vid my interest has been piqued a little bit.

There are clearly some graphic changes to the game since the first one. I also don't see how it looks identical, being that L4D always takes place at night, and from what we've seen, L4D 2 takes place in the morning, and in broad daylight. I actually like the idea of daylight better, and different times of day, because it adds some more realism. In a Zombie apocalypse, why would anybody want to move to a different location during the night? "Oh, lets go when it's harder to see, colder, and when we feel like going to sleep. That sounds great."

And for some reason I figured that someone would pay attention to what Chet said in the video, but I guess I was dreaming a little too big. He said "The Teams at Valve are allowed to work on whatever we want." Hear that?! THERE ARE TEAMS! That means somebody is more than likely working on the next Half-Life installment! :D

Or Portal, for that matter. I really don't think that L4D2 is wasting any of Valve's time like all of the whiners in that boycotting group are complaining about. They have no way of telling what Valve is doing, and l4d2 has several months before launch. Give the games some time, by god. You will live tomorrow without hearing about Half-Life 3.

Everybody knows all this.

If you did not, you should be banned.

This is where you're wrong. VALVE has a habit of "scrapping" their games and starting over (they did it with half life, half life 2 and probably with ep3). It seems that they wanted to do the same with L4D, only, they realized they wanted to scrap the game and start over AFTER the game was released.

So? I only need me and 7 other people to play left4dead(2). I'm not so sure how many people will stay with the original instead of getting left4dead2, but I'm convinced it won't be many...

In L4D(2) you join a server of maximum 8 people for a short period of time, In WoW you join static servers of 200 000+ slots. That analogy makes no sense at all.

you obviously never played splinter cell multiplayers.

This entire part of the forum should be

"Let's bitch about what is wrong with L4D2" as every thread is turning into it.

How does your jaw not drop? How are you not giggling in excitement? I can't wait. This looks too awesome.

Mainly because it's nothing I've not already seen in L4D1 or Killing-Floor already.

There's no way of telling whether there's any reason to get this until the demo (if there is one this time) comes out.

Therefore judgement is reserved!

...But from what I've seen, that alone is enough to get me hyped. I think you just expect too much. My reason to get it is that it has zombies, (And utilizes them much better than l4d1 already, imho) and better weapons. I hope they have a huge selection of weapons and the director chooses them based on how the players are doing. Like for some cases, certain weapons might be overpowered...

See, just expressing ideas like this can change the entire game, because it's in development, and we know that Valve looks at this forum. They might consider your idea. Your voice is being heard, weather you're a raging idiot or not. I just hope Valve can decipher which is which. xD

I'm guessing that if everybody is dying, it starts to storm. If there's one person left, the skies open up and water falls in torrents. Something like that. If everyone else dies, you won't be as worried about that witch as you are about Hurricane Katrina coming back for more.

So, people could afford the first one but not the second one a year later? As for the people who "do not want" to get it, i'm guessing you refer to the boycott? That's a good thing then, I won't have to hear them whining about the game.

As for, far too soon, I don't get it? A year is enough, why would you want to wait more? I can't speak for you, but I'm really bored with L4D now as playing it has become a routine: hide there, camp that corner, run to the witch and headshot her with a auto shotty, yawwwnnn... Was this game supposed to be scary or at least fast paced? It stopped a long time ago (for me at least). So I welcome L4D2 hoping it improves on L4D.

My 2cents.

Youd want new maps into L4D instead of an L4D2, I seriously doubt that L4D2 will be more fast paced and scarier than L4D ever was. You know what you want but you're looking in the wrong direction for it.

Youd want new maps into L4D instead of an L4D2, I seriously doubt that L4D2 will be more fast paced and scarier than L4D ever was. You know what you want but you're looking in the wrong direction for it.

Wait.

AI director is different, maps are different, setting is different. That couldn't possibly add up to a faster paced L4D? Hm.

This is kinda like bitching at Nvidia for coming up with new video cards and not mailing them to your doorstep because "The clock speed isn't that much faster." If you want the damn thing, buy it. if not, shut the hell up and let the rest of us enjoy it.

This is kinda like bitching at Nvidia for coming up with new video cards and not mailing them to your doorstep because "The clock speed isn't that much faster." If you want the damn thing, buy it. if not, shut the hell up and let the rest of us enjoy it.
Exactly, and they happen to do that with quite a bit of rebranding (8800 GT, 9800 GT for example).

Incendiary Rounds sound awful "Now it will be easier to set a tank on fire", and what exactly is good about that? What exactly makes that exciting when you can set a tank on fire by just shooting him?

Incendiary Rounds sound awful "Now it will be easier to set a tank on fire", and what exactly is good about that? What exactly makes that exciting when you can set a tank on fire by just shooting him?

Nothing, that totally removes the fun.

But setting regular infected on fire IS fun and exciting.

Since indecandary rounds are a temporary power up, I'm guessing the director won't spawn any tank while a survivor has them.

Since indecandary rounds are a temporary power up, I'm guessing the director won't spawn any tank while a survivor has them.

Apparently they will, the guy specifically stated that you could use the incendiary rounds to set tanks on fire with more ease.

Wait.

AI director is different, maps are different, setting is different. That couldn't possibly add up to a faster paced L4D? Hm.

Well, in L4D my friends and i started to know the different possibilities of what the director would do (Im sure you did too pitzy paul). Sooner or later it wouldn't be any more fast paced than what we started with, right?

Well, in L4D my friends and i started to know the different possibilities of what the director would do (Im sure you did too pitzy paul). Sooner or later it wouldn't be any more fast paced than what we started with, right?

There's no real way to tell. Hence what I said....you don't know if it will be faster paced or not, so knocking it down for that fact is just silly.

Amen, pitzy. I wouldn't look down on Valve so much that I would expect them to release an unfinished game, or one that needed more work in their eyes. L4D may have been a mistake, but I know I definitely got $50 worth of fun out of it.

In context of what I have read it isn't as cut and dry as you put it. I see 2 trade offs Valve has also added to 'balance' incendiary rounds.

Chet said the new AID now makes a more concious choice of where it puts items (molotovs, incendiary rounds, ect). Instead of what we experience in L4D today, the director will now purposly place them in out of the way areas. So if you want incendiary rounds you have to go look for them. So in theory that put survivors at risk for getting off the main path looking for something instead of getting to a safe room. And thus will take more damage from attacks in the meantime.

The second trade off is if you chose to pick up a clip of incendiary rounds you are forced to use that clip immediatly. So if you want to save it for a tank you have to use pistols or melee weapons until then. Thus- you are gimping yourself and your team by using less effective weapons while progressing toward a tank spawn.

There's no real way to tell. Hence what I said....you don't know if it will be faster paced or not, so knocking it down for that fact is just silly.

Im not really knocking it down. Just stating that we shouldnt really get so excited about it. P.s. TF2 we should sometime too

I bought l4d 1 with the assumption they'd be giving me l4d 2 for free.

God forbid my refusal to buy what I was told I would get for free.

I bought l4d 1 with the assumption they'd be giving me l4d 2 for free.

God forbid my refusal to buy what I was told I would get for free.

Huh? What the hell gave you that idea? That's like saying i bought Half-Life i expected to get Half-Life 2 for free. You expected to get DLC and you will get DLC, Valve have stated again and again that more DLC is planned for L4D. Valve always give out info about DLC just when it's about to release they don't reveal plans for it months before.

Why would you assume that?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's taking a stab at the idiots that think they're going to get a new game for free.

If not, you're also a ****ing idiot.

I recall Gabe promising to give most of this content in dlc.

The main reason given for number 2 is that the easiest way of getting the content out would be an all at once thing, hence sequel.

I don't want to shell out 40 more bucks for what could've been free.

I recall Gabe promising to give most of this content in dlc.

The main reason given for number 2 is that the easiest way of getting the content out would be an all at once thing, hence sequel.

I don't want to shell out 40 more bucks for what could've been free.

No, Gabe promised to give more DLC to Left4Dead which we will get. I admit some of these should have been given as DLC as new content has been lacking. I think it's fair to admit that Left4Dead is a broken game beyond repair and as such no point wasting time on it.

SERVER BROWSER

I believe that fulfills their DLC obligations for L4D.

Back