"Forgetting Birthdays" or "Your son's an a**hole"

It's really not though. Yesterday I told my girlfriend I was going to finally by a camera and she told me no because that's what she was getting me for christmas. I think I hurt her feelings when I told her not to, first off I was planning on spending ~$400 and I don't think she was, which means she'd probably buy some $200 kodak, which is well and good and everything, but I wouldn't be really happy with one. But then if she bought me the camera I wanted and spent all that money, then I would feel awful that she spent so much money on me.

cut her some slack, she's getting you a camera because she knows that's what you want ..she cant afford the more expensive one so you should just settle with what she can afford ..or better still negotiate .."look honey I need a camera but it's far too expensive ..so gfor my next birthday why dont we pool our money and I can get something that will last me a long time ..or just buy it yourself tell her you dont want her spending $200 suggest something far cheaper (something you want) ..you buy the camera, she buys you soemthing you want = win win

Same with a few years ago, when I was rebuilding my head. How do i tell mom what the proper valve springs, cam followers or valve guides are? There's just way too many ways to screw that up. I'd rather her give me money and I'll take care of it. I remember when she tried to buy me tools, I open it up and voila!--american sizes...my car is german.

valve springs are NOT a birthday present ..tools are but ..that's not something you pick arbitariily ..couldnt you return them for the right sizes?

But then I feel like a total jerk when I tell people not to buy this or that, almost like they're supposed to buy me something. But really, if they feel compelled to buy me something, i would much rather be not surprised and get something I really want/need, then be surprised and probably have to send it back and get a refund or the proper item. As for the computer comment, I would never ask for anything for my computer, that is way too specific.

I have a lifetime of crappy gifts ..it gets far worse when you get older ..just wait till you have kids

but that's not the point ..the point of a gift isnt that you pick what you want ..it's that the person giving it to you feels good about giving you something because they may feel you deserve it ..you need to tell everyone: "no gifts involving the following: car parts, tools, pc parts, electronics" ..problem solved

even when you do tell them what to get somehow it gets misinterpreted ..example ..a decade or so ago my parents went to spain; my mom asked me if I wanted her to get me something (the clothes in europe are FAR better than north american clothes) ..so I told her to specifically get me a black jacket ..I even showed her a pic from a spanish magazine ...when she came back she brought me a burgundy cardigan with suede elbow patches ...I shit you not ..I still have it ..looking as new as the day it was given to me

Jeez how can everyone not remember people's birthday's? Especially people who are close to them

For my birthday this year, one of my kids (3) made me a birthday card. He got a piece of paper, folded it in half and proudly handed it over saying "happy birthday daddy". It was completely blank. You know what? Best. Card. Ever.

lol that's hilarious, that truely is the best card ever ..you cant throw it out

..I got a half eaten cupcake (the kind with tons of sprinkles that make most adults gag from sugar overload)

btw for those who care it was my birthday yesterday and my son's last friday, happy birthday to my son/me

cut her some slack, she's getting you a camera because she knows that's what you want ..she cant afford the more expensive one so you should just settle with what she can afford ..

It's not important, but she could afford the more expensive camera, although i really really wouldn't want her too. But you're right; I actually called her and apologized for my unappreciative behavior last night.

Happy Birthday Captain Stern :D

With situations like xcellerate has described, the best way to avoid hurt feelings is to just tell the truth.

thanks, although my birthday takes a back seat to my son's ..but at least I get to play with his toys :)

im usless with dates and things too... ive got reminders in my phone for everyone importants birthdays, it bleeps 3 days in advance so i remeber to buy a card/ prezzie then again on the day of the birthday to remind me!! i also have it set up to do something simlar for exams and stuff

Our family has an understanding, no one buys anyone a present for a set birthday e.t.c.

What we do however is buy things to suprise each other, a suprise is nice, when you see something they'd like you get it, rather than getting something for the hell of it.

I forgot my dad's. I feel like they're some huge trick, I'm supposed to remember 1 day out of the year for something that isn't really all that important. I can barely remember what homework I have due tomorrow or when a test is, and people expect me to remember something that isn't going to happen again for another year? I used to write all my homework down on a sheet of paper and keep it in my blazer pocket, so at the end of the day I would know what I need to do; the problem is that I would forget the check the piece of paper.

Now I have to call my dad and apologize. Neither my mother, step-mother, sister, step-sister, nor step-brother felt like they needed to mention this to me. Everybody just ignored it until the very last minute, and then nobody tells me till 3 days later. Three inexcusable days later.

I don't even know my mom's birthday, it's on the 9th of june or july. The only reason I know my sister's is because she was born on ground hogs day. Why couldn't mom have been born on july 4th and dad on christmas. Argh, why can't I remember anything.

Excuses, excuses

Whats inexcusable is that you couldn't commit even a single day to memory for someone you love. Why would you say something like your birthday is NOT important, sometimes having your family togther is very important to some people. And shame on you for even attempting to share some of the blame with the family members who did remeber his birthday.

messed up man.........

Just buy a calendar, put the birthdays on it, and remember to keep track of time (so easy these days when everyone has a mobile phone, being a student helps too.) I'm very good at remembering people's birthdays, to the point of utter redundancy. I sent at least a card to everyone who I considered a significant friend from my Sixth Form years, and then it comes to my birthday and you know what? One person remembered. **** them :p

Excuses, excuses

Whats inexcusable is that you couldn't commit even a single day to memory for someone you love. Why would you say something like your birthday is NOT important, sometimes having your family togther is very important to some people. And shame on you for even attempting to share some of the blame with the family members who did remeber his birthday.

messed up man.........
:|

Back