Fortress Forever : A Team Fortress Conversion

A

Azlan

Fortress Forever is the pre-emiment community created Team Fortress modification. American, Australian, and European TFC still have active leagues with many clans participating. Although TFC's numbers don't rival the ever vigilant Counterstrike, rest assured, that those still playing TFC remain steadfast in their love for one of the greatest games ever made. [br]</br>Tonight brings us a new media feast, involving the fastest of all the classes, the scout. Well known TFC European mapper, Defrag, has been hard at work on several maps, but his remake of Bases has made a lot of progress that's being shown tonight.[br]</br>Also check out the new sound effect for the Napalm grenade on the media page, simply by clicking on it (created by Ghroth). [br]

[br]To learn more about Fortress Forever, visit their website.[br]</br>To join their ever growing online community, register with their forums.

Always great stuff coming from Fortress Forever. The Scout, however, looks low-poly and expressionless. It's locked into a old stare and the face needs to be more 3D as it seems like the mouth and nose are jutting out from it. But, as I've said again and again and again, it's only a work-in-progress so my criticisms may or may not matter at all.

true that. The concept art is great, the scout has a look of determination of his face, which didn't transfer over to the model. It should have, because it looks cool.

I remember playing this on the Half Life Engine, good times :D I cannot wait for this one to be released :D

O_O

Their mappers are very good.

To be fair the scout is not yet textured. Just look at the Alyx and Father Grigori models on model viewer and they look just the same.

I'm not yet sure about the scout model, but this map is beautiful-- which I have come to expect from this team.

Every media update from these guys just makes me hope and pray that Valve aren't planning their own TFC Source and that TF2 is going to be significantly different. It would be a major injustice for the work of these guys to go to waste :/

Aw, It looked like the Scout had a mustache but looking closer he doesnt :\ He would look awesome with one! I mean look! It gives him character (hes a former redneck NASCAR driver, AWESOME)

...or not... ;)

Who would notice a mustache in such a fast paced game anyway?

Why even add a face then? INFACT! Lets make them all blocks! NO WAIT! ONE GIANT RECTANGLE!11111

Source is all about detail :p

/me stares in awe...

Awsome work. I cannot wait to play this! :O

why are the classes so colourful? the medic and scout class stands out like a sore thumbs ..makes for an easy target in such a dark game world. Beyond that it looks good

Ive never considered TFC "dark", infact quite the opposite

anyways, looking really good :D cant wait for this one!

CptStern said:
why are the classes so colourful? the medic and scout class stands out like a sore thumbs ..makes for an easy target in such a dark game world. Beyond that it looks good
Tell that to the Unreal Tournament community. Their idea of 'pro' is forcing everyone to use exactly the same models and giving them ultra-day-glo colours so you can see them from half a solar system away....

lonefox said:
true that. The concept art is great, the scout has a look of determination of his face, which didn't transfer over to the model.
Much of that detail will be added with texturing.

If anyone remembers the night and day difference between the skinned & unskinned super shotgun renders then think what the skinning of character models will do for the mod's aesthetics. :D

kupoartist said:
Tell that to the Unreal Tournament community. Their idea of 'pro' is forcing everyone to use exactly the same models and giving them ultra-day-glo colours so you can see them from half a solar system away....

heheh that was funny :thumbs: ...I guess the day glo colours in UT was what turned me off ...well that and I'm not a big fan of constant run and gun

yay, 'nutha great update from the Fortress Forever dev team :D

Man I can't wait for this. I can't play TFC anymore cuz of my stupid CD key. MUST HAVE FF.

I've never heard the Counter-Strike community described as "vigilant"...

FF looks great. It's absolutely going to be one of the best third party mods for the source engine. The developers clearly know what they're doing, how they're going to do it, and how they get together to do it. Recipe for fun :D

I also agree about the moustache. It does give him more character.

So many good looking mods out there. I'm not spending any money on games for a while. (Except for BF2)

CptStern said:

Team Fortress is not a realism game. And its also quite bright by othergames standards as someone already said.

kupoartist said:
Every media update from these guys just makes me hope and pray that Valve aren't planning their own TFC Source and that TF2 is going to be significantly different. It would be a major injustice for the work of these guys to go to waste :/

Even if Valve releases a TFC:S or TF2 the biggest differences are that FF will be free, FF is being created by great and very veteran fans of the Team fortress gameplay style so we know we'll get great TF-play in FF. And the FF team will spend much more time perfecting the game, smashing bugs etc. Valve will most likely do to TFC:S/TF2 what they did to TFC, put it on hold and let it die slowly.

The FF team will stay true to FF for a very long time.

I've been following FF for a very very long time and I cannot wait til it reaches beta.

Cruor said:
Even if Valve releases a TFC:S or TF2 the biggest differences are that FF will be free, FF is being created by great and very veteran fans of the Team fortress gameplay style so we know we'll get great TF-play in FF. And the FF team will spend much more time perfecting the game, smashing bugs etc. Valve will most likely do to TFC:S/TF2 what they did to TFC, put it on hold and let it die slowly.

The FF team will stay true to FF for a very long time.

I've been following FF for a very very long time and I cannot wait til it reaches beta.
Yeah, the worry I have is simply that regardless of the quality of a straight Source conversion of TFC, the fact that it is official and on the Steam menu will mean that it Super-cedes FF. Like how people use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox or whatever because IE is installed first.

Of course, the best case scenario is that Valve like FF so much that they adopt it as the official Free version of TFC for this generation of the Source Engine and give it distribution over Steam...

Back