Forum Account Security

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight someone attempted to access a number of Halflife2.net forum accounts by checking for commonly used passwords. Sadly those members who decided to use '12345' and 'password' as their user password have had their account hijacked. In a small number of cases they also used the same password as their Steam accounts. I'm sure you can guess the rest.[br]

As a precaution I've emailed all forum users requesting they change their account passwords. The forum will require they do this when they visit any forum page. Please make sure it's a decent password. There is a good advice page here that can guide you on creating a new password. [br]

If you have any trouble accessing your account or have any further questions please email me at [email protected]. If you receive any emails saying someone is attempting to access your account with an IP other than 72.191.195.157 please let us know.

You've also been PHISHING FOR PASSWORDS, YOU NAUGHTY RAPSCALLION.

But seriously. Great job on being so prompt Munners! We all love you.

He was in bed. Took 3 texts and a phone call for me to get him up :LOL:

He was in bed. Took 3 texts and a phone call for me to get him up :LOL:

wow...and here i was thinking Munro was this watchdog over the website! LOL! but seriously thank you guys for alerting us so quickly. Exactly who all runs this site and how? I mean....Hectic Glenn is texting and calling the site owner? Wish I was in that circle of friends.

Sadly those members who decided to use '12345' and 'password' as their user password have had their account hijacked.
Damn, and I thought my password was unimaginative.

I still feel sorry for anyone who had their account stolen, but at least now they'll be more security conscious.

****ING BUMFAG BASEMENT HACKERS! GET A ****ING LIFE AND STOP MAKING THE PLANET WORSE THAN IT IS.

Gonna shove a ****ing broom up the ASS of any hacker i get ahold of..

Which means there will be no ass-broomage because you wont get a hold of any hackers since you sit in your basement as well.

Nice work staff, I knew you guys would prove yourselves useful at some point :D

I wouldn't personally call it hacking if your just guessing two of the most used passwords used on the internet.

wow...and here i was thinking Munro was this watchdog over the website! LOL! but seriously thank you guys for alerting us so quickly. Exactly who all runs this site and how? I mean....Hectic Glenn is texting and calling the site owner? Wish I was in that circle of friends.
lol that is how my clan's forums work :cheese:

Smart move getting everyone to change their passwords. People really should be smart enough by now to use more imaginative passwords (using numbers as letters even) especially with how the net is anymore. ;)

Thanks for being on top of this HL2 staff :cheers:

****ING BUMFAG BASEMENT HACKERS! GET A ****ING LIFE AND STOP MAKING THE PLANET WORSE THAN IT IS.

Gonna shove a ****ing broom up my ASS of any hacker i get ahold of..
I misread it as this, and with your avatar it made me chuckle.

Unlucky about the guys who had there steam accounts hacked. I dunno what I'd do if my account got hacked :( But good work and response by the halflife2.net team!

Altho I haven't really been active since since signing up, thankees for the heads up Munro.

Prolly some peckerhead gone and got himself a cracked copy of H-L2 and looking for an account so he could play it. Bless...... You could get the soddin H-L2 Episode Pack for less than a tenner 3 weeks ago, you dweeb off.

It was nice to see that my old pasword was 1517 days old.

I was shitting myself when I couldn't change my password :dork: I managed it though.

Thanks for the update.

I may not post here very much anymore, but it's good to see you're making the security of your users a high priority.

lol, my password was 582 days old. (shows how much i use this forum)

Lol my password was 1621 days old! I dont think I have changed it since the day I signed up. But even though I don't have many posts or sign in often I assure you I have been supporting the site by visiting nearly daily since the day I signed up.

My password was 14000 days old. Apparently, I've been on this site for 38 years.

I don't know how old my old password was, because I forgot it and had to use the forgot password form to make a new one. Which I guess is a good thing.

Well then. I guess I SHOULD be changing my password, but it's so good.

There is a good advice page here that can guide you on creating a new password. [br]

Yeah, that's ****in great when they won't let me make my hotmail password over 6 characters in length. Assholes.

Good idea, btw. Can't be too safe... :D

Here's a tip for making a good password, start if off with a noun, then a verb, and make a very odd statement that is just so ****ing weird that you remember it. But it would be very insanely hard to guess either way, because you could say anything. Then end it with several punctuations, or a few numbers, or one. It's the easiest way to remember, and create a good password.

Back