framerate dropping when looking out at the center

Zio

Reaction score
OK, my map is a series of Rooms and hallways. There is no way to see the other rooms from the other rooms thanks to the shape of the hallway...

Now the problem is, whenever I look towards the center of the map or towards the fatherside (Despite hallways and rooms, and walls in the way) the framerate drops drastically.

The central room is fine getting good frames in either directions.

I have hint boxes whereever they would be useful...

There aren't any doors; so areaportals seem useless; but whenever i try to use them; it makes the map on either side of it compeltely disappear... like, you look and its like if it's looking out aimlessly... you walk through and it makes what's behidn you disappear...

any help would be nice, the one guide isn't helping much

I'm no expert, but I have an idea how it supposed to work.

First, you can enable the mat_wireframe 1 console to display the geometry thats actually being drawn.

second, if you have areas that can be sealed off , then you can use area portals. you have to tie an func_areaportal(?) entity to it, and set the flag to 'open' or whatever, so that you can see through it. for every entrance into an area, place a seperate areaportal brush/entity so that it touches or intersects with world geometry (NOT models, displacements, func_brushes, etc). this includes windows and such, we want
a)world geometry w/ opaque textures and
b)area portals
to make a room hold water aka be completely leakfree. then it will only render what it needs.

maybe that helps or not, I'm a new mapper I might have got it wrong. :\

GL :)

Area Portals clip the viewfield, great for corridor-ends etc with stuff on the other side.

EdiT: If you use them as an open state, not for doors here ;)
They're also ideal to block off a destructible wall before it's been .. destructed.

Back