Fraps + Microphone dilemma

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
I intend to record a lot of videos of our Arma 2 play sessions using fraps. There is a problem I am having which I do not quite know how to get around right now.

I can record the game video fine. I can record the game audio fine. I can pick up the audio from the others in the mumble(voip) fine. I cannot however, hear myself.

Now, if I check the option in fraps that allows me to record my microphone input, I can hear myself when I speak. However... I can hear all the other things I don't want in the recording. My coughs, my sneezes, my keyboard typing... and any other background noise that I have going while I am not pressing the PTT key in mumble.

How would I go about injecting my audio into the stream only when my push to talk key is pressed?

Could a workaround be done with virtual audio cable?

I need some help here... I'm not an audio guy by any means so this is difficult for me.

This is relevant to me as well, because thats how I've been doing all my videos. My audio is really quiet in comparison to everything else, so you never hear much noise from my mic anyways, but I would be interested in a better way to do it.

Alright, you neanderthals. Since everyone else in the forum is still in the stoneage, me, Krynn and Raz found out how to do it ourselves. Using a program called Autohotkey and some a custom Vista/7 sound function library, I managed to cobble together a script that unmutes your microphone when you press a user-defined key, and mutes it when you let go. This way, if you bind it to the same PTT key as Vent/Mumble/TS, Fraps won't receive any microphone signal when Push to Talk isn't being pushed.

$LCtrl::
while GetKeyState("LCtrl", "P")
{
Send {LCtrl down}
VA_SetMute(false,,"Microphone")
sleep 15
}
Send {LCtrl up}
VA_SetMute(true,,"Microphone")
return

Like a bawss.

Only problem is finding out what device your mic is (i.e. the device's registry name (such as "Microphone") and Subunit id) if you have a weird sound set up (like Krynn).

I was doing some testing for Viper on this with fraps in Arma 2 and it works brilliantly.

Normally, you'd be chatting in mumble while playing the game and recording your footage. You'd be depressed to find out that while everybody else can be heard, you cannot. If you use fraps "Record External Input" option, you can now hear yourself, but you also hear whatever is going on in the background of your home. Your mic is essentially "open" during the entire recording.

With viper's thing here, now when I tested out my arma 2 recordings, I could only hear myself when I pressed the push to talk key that I have associated with mumble. So basically my microphone is muted at all times until I press that key, upon which it's unmuted and the sound goes through to the recording(and mumble, which operates on the same push to talk key ideally). From my testing, this basically works flawlessly. I hear myself when I want to and at no other times.

Thank you very much Viper. Been searching for a long time to figure something like this out, and you went and did it. ****ing awesome.

Krynn also had this same idea before realizing you were even working on this. He suggested that one could maybe make a program that will mute the speaker and only unmute when needed. Funnily enough, he found the exact same program you did while you were working on it.

Good job both of you. Now we can take all the clean recordings we want to and I can hack up phlegm all over the place without anybody knowing.

For those of you who use capslock for voice, like me, here's how the script can work for that key:

$Capslock::
SetStoreCapslockMode Off
while GetKeyState("Capslock", "P")
{
Send {Capslock down}
SetCapsLockState Off
VA_SetMute(false,,"Microphone")
sleep 15
}
Send {Capslock up}
VA_SetMute(true,,"Microphone")
return

It has the added benefit of turning off capslock when you let go, so you won't have capslock on after every message you send.

We ran into a problem with mumble. Hopefully viper can figure it out.

Back