Free dj/mixing/etc software?

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
I want to try my hand at mashing songs, or mixing them, or "deejayin" or whatever you kids call it these days. Something free, something preferably not a time-limited free trial that won't let me save files, maybe something open-source? I don't know. I don't know anything about this type of music scene, I just want to be able to put two songs together in interesting ways without having to chop and sequence them with Dr. Rex and ReCycle. (which was an awful, failed experiment)

I don't get a lot of time on library computers, otherwise I'd do the research myself >_>

Reaper
No Risk
The evaluation version of REAPER is complete and uncrippled. There are no artificial interruptions or restrictions, and you can save and load projects normally. We believe in giving you a fair chance to make sure that REAPER works correctly with your hardware and suits your workflow.

The REAPER installer simply copies REAPER and its support files to disk. It does not install anything except itself.

If after 30 days you decide that REAPER is not for you, simply delete it.

If you decide that REAPER is for you, you must purchase a license.

If you just want to do some simple things like a crossfade, then just use the completely free Audacity.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Pay for Traktor DJ Studio, if you want to learn to mix, or use Sony's ACID for if you want to try your hand at making bootlegs.

Both are quite cheap :)

Traktor is indeed the best I've seen.

I've been meaning to comment on this thread for a while... If you intend on real-time DJ-ing, which is what DJ software is for, you're going to be in for some hard times using just a mouse. This software was meant for DJ controllers and real mixers.

Also, you can't DJ properly on a computer with a single audio-out anyway. Even if the mixing is done internally. You need a cue channel.

If you don't know what a cue channel is, you should learn the basics of DJing first.

What I did before I got an external player, was have my audio out L be deck 1 and audio out R be deck 2. (traktor lets you route your audio like this. of course, my tracks were now mono) and then used my 2 channel DJ mixer to mix, and that of course has a cue output. Cue let's you listen to a track (on your headphones plugged into the cue port) without sending it to the main mix. This is how you beatmatch or check the track that is not being sent to the master mix.

Talk to me on MSN if you want.

Vegeta has given you lots of helpful infoes there ;)

The best advice for using Traktor without a controller/mixer/other devices is to map keys to the functions you are using - otherwise, playing with Traktor won't transfer so well to using proper DJ hardware. Also, using the mouse will only get you so far..

To sum up, you won't be able to DJ properly in any sense of the word without buying at least a DJ mixer, or some kind of USB DJ device that takes care of your audio channels. Even if you have that, beatmatching/etc sucks with a mouse.

DJ-ing is not cheap.

Back