free roaming mod

DawnSoft

Reaction score
Is source reliable for making a GTA free raoming mod?

Howbig can the map be before long loading times and poor performance kicks in?

Not big. Source isn't built to handle huge levels and load on the fly.

Seriously , is it me or does this guy only ever post lame / impossible mod ideas?

When in my post did i say I welcomedlame replies like yours Mech man?

Obviously it is YOU!

Source would be a very poor choice for a free roaming mod. It simply can't handle it. The levels in Half-Life 2 are pushing it to it's limits and they aren't that big. You should try the Cryengine instead.

Any free roaming game would need an engine capable of "streaming" in the next loading. Source cant do that, id say make a mod for GTA3 or 4 if you want free roaming....
And who's Mech Man? He's acting kinda lame : / ...

-dodo

You could make the player the size of a soda can, then your world would be pretty big. Albeit simpler geometry. Perhaps you could make the game based around being that small though.

That should work; I think one of the guys who worked on Day of Defeat did that for some mod.

You could make the player the size of a soda can, then your world would be pretty big. Albeit simpler geometry. Perhaps you could make the game based around being that small though.

You seem to be smarter I thought.

It's possible you could implement some kind of free-roaming system but it would have serious limitations, because as others have said Source doesn't have streaming capabilities and cannot seamlessly load other levels, and there is a very real size / brush / entity limit for maps that you can't really get around. The only way it would work is if you did what Vegeta said and used very simple brushwork, but realistically speaking Source is an absolutely horrible choice for this sort of game, unless you want loading times every other block.

Back