From where should I start? (3Ds Max)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ive gotten into 3D stuff lately but I just got disoriented. It is so much more complicated than Ive imagined... So I am asking if someone could point out some realy simple tutorials for me that I could actually "understand". Im a total newb, I have no previous knowledge of 3D art whatsoever, but Im wiling to give it a try. I dont even know from where to start simply put. :E

Please, do lend me a hand!

I made these tutorials a good few years back but probably be pretty useful to get you started.

Modeling - http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/creating-a-weapon-for-source

Texturing - http://www.moddb.com/members/stormy101/tutorials/creating-a-weapon-for-source-part-2

Big **** off downloads but will show you modeling, UV'ing and Texturing. If your feeling fancy there is also an animation part.

Generaly tho there is a lot of video content around on the net these days. Just google like "basic max tutorials" or even look around some forums.

Also, www.cgtextures.com is your friend.

3dbuzz.com was great when I used it, it's been many years since then though.

One question, how do you change the number of verticies on a face/side? I'd like to increese its number.

I strongly recommend paying for a months (or yearly if you can afford) subscription at digital-tutors.com. It's 45 dollars a month, but its damn well worth it. The tutorials are in video format and are very comprehensive and easy to follow. They basically guide you through everything. And there are tutorials for every program out there; Photoshop, Painter, 3DS Max, Maya etc. I guarantee in about a months time, you will be well versed with 3DS Max or any other program you choose to learn about.

You won't find too many decent free tutorials online, at least ones that explain everything.

About adding vertices, well, you can either cut them across from one edge to another, or you can use connect and do it nicely.

One question, how do you change the number of verticies on a face/side? I'd like to increese its number.

usually you want to cut them in by hand. You can do subdivision (in max an example of this would be meshsmooth) but this is rarely useful. Train yourself to cut by hand first.

Adding more to the topic: if you are using 3DS, turn your geometry into an "Editable Poly" then select the Edge selection tool from the "Selection" menu. For straight cuts, you can can select any number of edges and then use the "Connect" function to make an edge between the selected edges.

And as mentioned, using "Cut" simply allows you to click a spot on an Edge and then a dotted line will appear letting you know where the cut will be. From there, you just select another Edge and voila, you just made a cut and added two vertices at the start and end of that cut.

Correct!

Did you try those weapon tutorials?

I haven't, sorry. I have to find time to download them because It is going to take a LOT of time. Still thanks for the help everyone.

Been having a question for some time - what is the right way of geometry creation?
I mean, should I be making objects by:

1- creating a polygon (box)
2- adding/removing vertices
3- manipulation vertices

Or, building the objects/environments by stacking polygons on over/besides the other like in the Hammer Editor and other CSG editors?

Are there any consequences for the second variant - like high fps in-game, vissible lines between brushes (polygons) etc?

The thing is, I've gotten really used to manipulating geometry the way it is in Hammer and 3Ds Max looks a bit confusing at first.

Back