My computer is utterly ****ed and I want to recover data from it

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a Samsung R510 laptop but I don't think the specs really matter because the problems all started when I dropped it last year. Yes, I'm a complete idiot. I've had problems on and off since then but it's gotten worse over time. I've reinstalled Vista twice on it and then moved to Windows 7. Previous problems included shutting down sometimes when plugged out, freezing and crashing when trying to resume using after having been put to sleep, not working on Wednesdays and general sluggishness. It's out of warranty now so I doubt I'll get much help from Samsung.

I had a new problem a few weeks ago where it would start up normally but get slower and slower and eventually freeze. On the suggestion of my brother I checked my page faults in task manager and AVG was racking up several thousand a second. I uninstalled AVG (put on Avast instead) and Google reveals this is a general problem with AVG and Windows 7 having a fight to the death, not just my computer.

Anyway, all this build up leads to the current problem: My computer will no longer start. Once the four little orbs that join to make the windows logo appear I get a millisecond of bluescreen before it crashes and restarts. Using a boot disk and startup repair has fixed nothing. Starting in safe mode leads it to crash while loading CLASSPNP.SYS. Googling this (plus the error code given by startup repair) tells me that this problem is caused by some problem with intel drivers and disabling AHCI mode will solve the problem. It does no such thing.

At this point I don't so much want to repair my PC as just recover documents from it: College documents, some drawings and a couple of misc files. I was under the impression that if you had a boot disc you could run windows from that instead of your hard drive, is this true or am I just completely mistaken? (this is the first time I've had to deal with my OS directly and I'm pretty ignorant on the subject)

Either way the recovery tools are not working and I want to get at my data. Could I format my D: Drive, install Windows 7 on that and then boot from that (all the files I want are on the C: drive)?

tl:dr
Windows 7 computer will no longer even start and I want to get my files back off it before trying to repair it/formatting it/throwing it in the bin.

Here's something (oh I thought it was free at first)

http://restore-disk.com/restore/samsung/r510samsung/samsung-r510-blue-screen-restore.html

Hold up...

Apparently, that laptop has a SATA drive. I would take the drive out and plug it into your computer (if your computer supports SATA), then copy the data from it.

If you are already planning to recycle the laptop, then surely there can't be much fear of opening the case. Shouldn't be too hard to remove the drive, either.

Would that fact that the drive has an OS installed on it affect anything?

Nope - pretty sure it should be fine. Windows has an 'active volume' with the correct boot information is stored. Your other drive will be loaded as an extra drive, a "D: drive", if you will.

That's what you want right? Then just rummage through the folders to get your data.

Do you thinking installing Windows on my D: drive and trying to boot from that would do any good?

Could I format my D: Drive, install Windows 7 on that and then boot from that (all the files I want are on the C: drive)?

Do you thinking installing Windows on my D: drive and trying to boot from that would do any good?
Well, I'm not sure -

What have you got, 2 HDDs in your desktop computer? C and D drive? Windows 7 on C?

I don't understand what you want to do. Install a new copy of Windows on your desktops D drive?

Or does your laptop have 2 drives or something?

EDIT: when you installed Windows on your desktop, if you had more than one HDD or partition installed in the computer, windows may have put the boot information on your secondary partition/drive. That's why it's a bit risky to format that drive unless you know where that boot information is. Otherwise, you will have a problem booting into Windows after that. I'm not sure how Windows 7 would handle that (I am assuming that's what you're using). Possibly you could fix the boot with some command.

You can find where that boot information is by turning on "show hidden files", and looking in the root directory (in other words C, and D, without going into any folders) of all of your hard drives.

If you go into administrative tools (in the control panel), you can open Disk Management and find out which drives are which. Going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure the Windows installation drive would be labeled as "system drive" and the drive/partition with the boot information would be labeled as "active drive"

I think.

My laptop has two drives. Windows is on the C drive and refuses to start up. I want to recover data from the C drive.

What I'm asking is would installing Windows onto the laptop's D drive as well and then boot from that be worth a shot or would I be messing things up more?

If you don't mind formatting the D drive, and don't care about the Windows installation currently on C, then no harm can be done.

You will be able to access the files on C.

When you install on D, it will change the boot information. So the Windows on C will no longer be active. So you'll be fine.

By the way, don't be confused once you boot up. Once you install Windows on D, then it will become C. Your old C drive will then be labeled as D.

You could have just booted from a Linux live CD, backed up your data, and performed a reinstall. Much, much, easier then all of that nonsense. :p

Well I haven't done anything yet and due to a Linux infatuation my brother had I have several different Linux OSs lying on the desk around me. A friend of mine also uses Ubuntu. How might I go about using a Linux live CD?

1. Download here and burn to CD (if you don't have a recent version handy).
  2. Insert CD and restart. Should boot to CD. If not, change the boot option in BIOS.
  3. Be patient. CD-ROMs are slow. After it's loaded, click on the Places menu. You should see some volumes under My Computer. Click on one.
  4. If you get a "dirty NTFS" error, run the command given to you by the error message. It'll look something like "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o force".
  5. Copy your files to another volume/remote share.
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

Regardless of the warranty, Samsung WILL help you recover data from broken laptops. Of course, you might be charged a fee, but I'm pretty sure they'll do it.

They have the best after-service that I have ever seen. They actually came to my house to fix a $10 headset.

Also, as a side note it seems likely since you dropped your laptop your HDD has major problems and corrupted considerably since then.

For laptops, replacing memory or HDDs is a very simple process usually involving a single panel you remove, and clipped a new one in to the port / ribbon cable or whatever. You could probably find video guides on youtube to revive your laptop again in the future after you recover your files.

Also, as a side note it seems likely since you dropped your laptop your HDD has major problems and corrupted considerably since then.

For laptops, replacing memory or HDDs is a very simple process usually involving a single panel you remove, and clipped a new one in to the port / ribbon cable or whatever. You could probably find video guides on youtube to revive your laptop again in the future after you recover your files.

unless it's a freaking sony vaio or most netbooks that put the HDD under the keyboard

I used an Ubuntu disc my brother had lying around. Stuff is transferring now. Thanks guys!

Strange revelation: I wiped the computer and reinstalled Windows 7 on the second harddrive (the one it wasn't on originally) and now it's only detecting one drive.

Were your two drives actually one drive with 2 partitions ? In which case formatting might have wiped the partitions and created one volume. Just a thought.

No, it's the same size as one of the previous harddrives. I've literally cut my storage space in half. If it fixes the problems (like a much-needed amputation) I'm prepared to live with it though.

If you have access to another PC you can get a dirt cheap usb drive reader and just copy the data over. That's as difficult as plugging a USB device in.

Good to hear you recovered your data, ríomhaire. It sounds like the drive died shortly after, so that was very lucky for you.

Back