G-Man's speech doesn't work

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
So anyway, I was just finished with the Antlion's cage, when (according to wikipedia) G-man is supposed to hold his monologe. Instead, my computer starts to studder like hell. There's no picture, and the audio is studdering like you couldn't imagine. It took a full 25 minutes before it was over and we could return to the cave. I really wanted to hear his speech, and it would only means that I will miss other things he will say too.

What do you think caused this problem?

Side note: When I first played Half-Life 2 both og G-man speeches went fine, but the one in episode one didn't work (the audio worked, but not the video; although it didn't start to studder). When re-playing, it turns out that the G-man speeches in HL2 don't work either nowadays. It's the same computer and everything, so I don?t understand why it would stop working suddenly.

Someone else has already posted a link to the scene which I believe is on the youtube.
Oh and some one else reported saving just prior and reloading clears it up. With any luck they'll pop in to verify I have that right.

Yeah, I've seen it on youtube, it's not that. It's just really annoying having to wait through so much studdering. Besides, it much more fun to see it in-game than on youtube.

I had the same on release day. You're going to run into this problem at the end, too. It's something to do with drivers...I think there's yet to be a fix, but then I haven't tried.

Yeah I'd rather see these things for myself. Try from a save just before.

Me too. I also had it in the final scene with the advisors. Shudder city, like 0.5 fps and no audio. Carried on into the credits. Blech.

ya tht happened to me
its probably lack of rams, bad graphic card, processor...
i got a laptop and worked jus fine
and tht speech is really imp.

Update your computers newbs...

but for real, what video cards do you guys find are having the issues? I noticed in those scenes, there is a hell load of shadows and shaders and different scenes going on at one time. I noticed my FPS dropped a little when the g-man was standing over Alyx and when it zoomed into his face to watch him whisper to her. But it went right away after the scenes stopped being "layered" over each other... if that makes sense.

Even people with high end machines have this same problem.

So anyway, I was just finished with the Antlion's cage, when (according to wikipedia) G-man is supposed to hold his monologe. Instead, my computer starts to studder like hell. There's no picture, and the audio is studdering like you couldn't imagine. It took a full 25 minutes before it was over and we could return to the cave. I really wanted to hear his speech, and it would only means that I will miss other things he will say too.

What do you think caused this problem?

Side note: When I first played Half-Life 2 both og G-man speeches went fine, but the one in episode one didn't work (the audio worked, but not the video; although it didn't start to studder). When re-playing, it turns out that the G-man speeches in HL2 don't work either nowadays. It's the same computer and everything, so I don?t understand why it would stop working suddenly.

Don't worry. I have this problem too. At first I tried to hit my computer, that didn't work, so I just bit my lip, and ignored.

Hmmm. A strange problem. My PC is generaly less powerful than yours, though i never had this problem neither in HL2, EP1 or EP2, and i play on High settings.

It's not the shadows, as in HL2 dynamic shadows only have the physical objects, not the terrain. Try reducing the Antialiasing and turn off the Motion Blur for those scenes. Also, i use the latest detonators (for NVidia). Update your drivers as well, it might help.

Btw, the NVdia drivers allways come sorta not configured properly so a bit of tweaking is needed in the control panel, but it's not critical especialy for the people with high-end machines. If someone is interested in configuring their driver, drop me a PM. This problem is fixable, i'm sure.

Right click on Episode Two in Steam, click on launch options, add "-heapsize 256000" as told by this guy :D

Should fix it, no problems.

^ Changing the HEAP allocation size ??? What this have to do with the stuttering?

Back