Gabe Newell Reveals Steam Password, Proves Steam Guard Works

Dekstar

Companion Cube
Reaction score
In a daring show of confidence, Gabe Newell released his steam username and password to the world during a CeBit talk. Steam Guard uses Intel's new line of 'Sandybridge' processors to lock down accounts to a specific computer, meaning phishing attempts are made redundant if you're using one of these new bits of hardware.[br]There is video proof of this; in the Youtube video below, Gabe's username is shown to be '[email protected]', with his password being 'MoolyFTW'.[br]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXkTMhp7QFI​
[br]Is Steam Guard an efficient way to protect your account, or does it seem like steam's ability to be used from any computer (and therefore steam cloud) is being sidetracked for the security of its customers? Of course, this feature is optional, so what would you choose?

Seems like the best way to show it off if there ever was one! Seems like a very good system.

Maybe I've got things the wrong way round when I want to buy a Sandy Bridge now for this feature, rather than for hardware upgrade purposes. I get people trying to phish my account several times a day D:

Maybe I've got things the wrong way round when I want to buy a Sandy Bridge now for this feature, rather than for hardware upgrade purposes. I get people trying to phish my account several times a day D:
And now you can actually pretend to fall for them and laugh at the failed attempts!

in some few days

"newsflash: episode 3 beta leaked"

From the main page news story:

Is Steam Guard an efficient way to protect your account, or does it seem like steam's ability to be used from any computer (and therefore steam cloud) is being sidetracked for the security of its customers? Of course, this feature is optional, so what would you choose?

Valve hasn't announced how Intel's "Identity Theft Protection" fits in to this (to my knowledge); they've merely announced that it will be used in later versions. In its current state Steam Guard makes it so that any new machine you log in from must be verified through e-mail.

Valve hasn't announced how Intel's "Identity Theft Protection" fits in to this (to my knowledge); they've merely announced that it will be used in later versions. In its current state Steam Guard makes it so that any new machine you log in from must be verified through e-mail.
Yeah, it just seems to be diminishing the steam cloud feature a little to me, I mean if you're using the Steam Guard feature, you wouldn't be able to log onto a friend/family members' computer without first giving it access.
For me though, I can't say I've ever used the cloud feature for that purpose, so it doesn't bother me, but there might be people who move about a lot, and won't take their original computer/laptop with them, and so won't be able to allow any computer they log onto, unless they turn off that extra security first.

You can just turn off the feature ahead of time if you plan on using steam on another PC.

Yeah, it just seems to be diminishing the steam cloud feature a little to me, I mean if you're using the Steam Guard feature, you wouldn't be able to log onto a friend/family members' computer without first giving it access.
For me though, I can't say I've ever used the cloud feature for that purpose, so it doesn't bother me, but there might be people who move about a lot, and won't take their original computer/laptop with them, and so won't be able to allow any computer they log onto, unless they turn off that extra security first.

I dont see how thats a problem at all. They try to log in, they go to their email, and allow access by inputing their password or whatever. All of it can probably be done from any PC.

you wouldn't be able to log onto a friend/family members' computer without first giving it access.

To me, it seems like the time it takes to get the e-mail authentication is a pittance compared to the time it'll take to download any game you want to show off, unless it's VVVVVV or Defcon.

What if something happens to the processor or the entire system, and you have to get an entirely new system? Thats what I would like to know. Is there a way to retrieve your account if that sort of thing occurs.

[edit]Just found out that its tied to the Email account you used to activate Steam

Account phishing and hijacking are our No.1 support issues

Maybe with the latest update they could have a mandatory popup for existing and every new member which describes the importance of account security and gives examples of bad passwords. I'm not talking about font size 12 stuff neither, but full headline size text with bullet points giving aweful security types

Don't use Dictionary Words
Don't use l33t phrases
Don't use Names
Don't use Dates of Historic Importants

How strong are passwords that use long words that are close to you and add numbers and characters to replace letters in syllables or used to break up a single syllable completely?

For example
Monogomy = mon//o1g*my31​

Seems pretty cool, I guess its just good to see Valve and Intel working together.

[edit]Just found out that its tied to the Email account you used to activate Steam

Whoa, wait... for real? Because I don't have my original email account anymore. Like, I made the account way back when it first came out, back when your username was the email address you used, so its an old hotmail account thats been deleted (I assume hotmail stopped hosting it since I havent checked it in like 4 years).

I have my current email as the primary contact email, so hopefully that works.

Whoa, wait... for real? Because I don't have my original email account anymore. Like, I made the account way back when it first came out, back when your username was the email address you used, so its an old hotmail account thats been deleted (I assume hotmail stopped hosting it since I havent checked it in like 4 years).

I have my current email as the primary contact email, so hopefully that works.

Uh yeah, same story here. Though I might still have access to mine, I really don't want to have to use it. I wish Steam would just let us old users change our email logins into normal username logins.

Hey, wait a minute... What has he done!?
Unless he's got a special script to turn off all access inquiries, he's just made the whole world spam thousands of e-mails to his inbox!

EDIT:
Oh wait... it doesn't send an e-mail notification, does it? Dangit, I got confused.

EDIT 2:
Oh wait, yes it does! "You will also be notified if any login attempts from computers other than those you've authorized occur."
Well, I'm sure Gabe has come prepared. He can turn off notifications if he wants, he's the master of the system. Plus, I'm sure
it's only a temporary password.

Back