Games: Rate and Discuss

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

Hard one to score so I'll do it twice. It depends on if you already own CoH vanilla and / or the Opposing Fronts expansion really.

If not, and especially if you buy the game for skirmish and online, this is the version to get. It contains all the 4 races and maps, and it also lets you switch between the regular and the bonus units. It might be hard to get into the multiplayer fray since the community is already well established, but the new AI offers a lot better practice and CoH remains a game where miraculous comebacks are always possible. In this case the game would probably score a 9/10.

If you already own the other games this is pretty much a useless expansion. I only bought it myself because I am a fanboi and it was one of the weekend deals on Steam. There is no real singleplayer campaign, just the Tiger scenario that plays out in about 60 to 90 minutes. Plus there are two new gamemodes that can't be called proper campaigns either. The new bonus units for skirmish and online are pretty neat, but I still don't get why Relic haven't made an Eastern Front expansion. That would have sold like sweet buns as we say here in the Netherlands. In stead ToV is a meager expansion that seems rushed out and lacks the content to validate the original price (35 euro / dollar). The score in this case would be a 5.5/10.

The new bonus units for skirmish and online are pretty neat, but I still don't get why Relic haven't made an Eastern Front expansion. That would have sold like sweet buns as we say here in the Netherlands. In stead ToV is a meager expansion that seems rushed out and lacks the content to validate the original price (35 euro / dollar). The score in this case would be a 5.5/10.

fixed :)

Hard one to score so I'll do it twice. It depends on if you already own CoH vanilla and / or the Opposing Fronts expansion really.

If not, and especially if you buy the game for skirmish and online, this is the version to get. It contains all the 4 races and maps, and it also lets you switch between the regular and the bonus units. It might be hard to get into the multiplayer fray since the community is already well established, but the new AI offers a lot better practice and CoH remains a game where miraculous comebacks are always possible. In this case the game would probably score a 9/10.

If you already own the other games this is pretty much a useless expansion. I only bought it myself because I am a fanboi and it was one of the weekend deals on Steam. There is no real singleplayer campaign, just the Tiger scenario that plays out in about 60 to 90 minutes. Plus there are two new gamemodes that can't be called proper campaigns either. The new bonus units for skirmish and online are pretty neat, but I still don't get why Relic made an Eastern Front expansion. That would have sold like sweet buns as we say here in the Netherlands. In stead ToV is a meager expansion that seems rushed out and lacks the content to validate the original price (35 euro / dollar). The score in this case would be a 5.5/10.

I wish I was any good at this game as I like everything about it, from the visuals to the gameplay. I just suck so badly at it, I always get stuck at the mission in the original when you have to clear the road for your convoy but are always under attack from massive tanks.

Thanks. Fixed in my own post as well now.

I wish I was any good at this game as I like everything about it, from the visuals to the gameplay. I just suck so badly at it, I always get stuck at the mission in the original when you have to clear the road for your convoy but are always under attack from massive tanks.

Forget about the campaign. It is quite good and all, but the proper real fun is to be found online and in skirmish.

I pretty much agree with your Tales of Valor review Shaker, although I haven't spent very much time playing it... seems like a pretty worthless expansion after Opposing Fronts which was awesome. I never play COH online though (because I get ****ing pwned), just skirmish against AI, the main reason I play it at all is because it looks so damn cinematic.

I pretty much agree with your Tales of Valor review Shaker, although I haven't spent very much time playing it... seems like a pretty worthless expansion after Opposing Fronts which was awesome. I never play COH online though (because I get ****ing pwned), just skirmish against AI, the main reason I play it at all is because it looks so damn cinematic.

Skirmish is fun. Just trying to destroy as much of the map as possible, or corner the AI into big dug in positions can be so much fun.

When playing 1v1 I hit a wall as soon as I get to about lvl 4 or 5. After that I get set up against pro's that can defeat me with one arm behind their back. I prefer to play with more people though. Usually 4v4's end with disconnects, but if they don't they are always awesome. Hill 331 is still a big favourite of mine, even though it has been around since the vanilla beta.

If you already own the other games this is pretty much a useless expansion. I only bought it myself because I am a fanboi and it was one of the weekend deals on Steam. There is no real singleplayer campaign, just the Tiger scenario that plays out in about 60 to 90 minutes. Plus there are two new gamemodes that can't be called proper campaigns either. The new bonus units for skirmish and online are pretty neat, but I still don't get why Relic haven't made an Eastern Front expansion. That would have sold like sweet buns as we say here in the Netherlands. In stead ToV is a meager expansion that seems rushed out and lacks the content to validate the original price (35 euro / dollar). The score in this case would be a 5.5/10.

I agree with you there. The first game I got was ToV, it was really good and since I haven't played the previous games, it doesn't matter to me that this expansion lacks new features compared to previous games. Probably Relic's worst expansion ever.

manhunt 2 - just ****ing crap

I didn't play enough to form a concrete number out of 10 in my head but I just simply thought this was ****. I haven't played the first but I don't even want to now.

Big problem is the controls. This is defnitely supposed to be a stealth game but the controls just don't ****ing work as a stealth game! When was the last time a game used the same stick to walk forward and turn? There's a reason that's not done anymore. Plus if you have more than one guard fighting you at the same time then you are quite simply ****ed.

Also
I checked on wiki just to make sure but it is so ****ing obvious that your companion is a figment of your imagination a la fight club.
Good thing I got it for a couple of quid, i'll take it back tomorrow :|

Arma 2 demo - 7/10

Downloaded this demo without knowing much about it and spent hours playing it. The sheer size of the world(even the demo maps which are apparently small compared to the full game) and things it attempts to simulate is amazing, and just playing around with the mission editor is extremely addictive. The graphics are great(considering the size of the game) and the one campaign mission included in the demo is short but enjoyable. And it doesn't seem as buggy as many people say it is, apart from the AI occasionally screwing up.

Of course, it's not without its cons though...performance seems inconsistent, with major FPS dips in seemingly random areas or situations. Controls are annoying, with the heavy/laggy aim, which I'm guessing is trying to be realistic, but really it makes hitting any enemy who isn't standing perfectly still very frustrating. Commanding the crew of a tank is torture. Warfare mode, although I spent very little time on it, is confusing and doesn't seem very appealing, and from what I hear it plays a bigger role in the full game.

Overall, the game seems to lack polish, although I guess that is expected from such an ambitious and non-mainstream project from a relatively small developer. Other than that, it holds a lot of potential, but my preference for more arcadey games and the fact that there are other games with a higher priority on my list means that it's unlikely I'm buying the full version for a while.

Red Faction: Guerrilla 8.5/10

Graphics: 4.5/5

The most realistic destruction physics I've ever seen. Minus some points though because the debris doesn't stay. Also because you can't alter the landscape itself. There were many times during the game where I wish I could've rigged a nearby cliff to explode, causing a landslide to wipe out a convoy. Or a huge boulder in high places that would've made a perfect trap. Textures, lighting, shadows, specular (fancy term for reflections), and models were terrific too.

Control: 5/5

Super easy learning curve. Had no trouble whatsoever here. So easy a caveman could pick up and play.

Sound: 5/5

Explosions and gunfire sounded as good as it looked, and the orchestral/techno score really set the mood. Especially when the action heats up.

Playability: 3.5

Well, I personally wished the player could carry more than just four weapons. Also, I agree with many people who said the gunplay itself could've been a better too. Difficulty was perfect. The player is hardly anywhere near invincible like in Mercenaries 2, and chances are most people will be restarting quite a bit thinking RF:Guerrilla is just another simple shoot 'em up like that series where the player can take a rocket to the face without barely a scratch. You'll have to use actual tactics and planning or you'll just get your ass handed to you by the EDF. Have an escape plan, or you'll regret it. Or you could just complete a mission or guerrilla action and don't care if you live or die afterwards because the game autosaves anyways once you complete anything, but this however is just inching your way through the game imo and is lame. Be a man and do the damn mission right without dying and don't rely on autosave.

The thing I didn't like though is despite how the game encourages guerrilla tactics as the title implies, stealth seemed non-existent as enemy soldiers seemed to have eyes in the back of their skulls no matter how well you try to hide or make a silent kill. Then again, stealth games aren't my cup of tea anyways.

Also, it seemed like when you get the sledge hammer upgrades+ level 2 armour, the assault rifle and shotguns are pointless. Close or medium range, it seemed easier and more effective to just run up to soldiers and clobber them, then run off to hide so your health can regenerate.

Fun Factor: 4.5/5

A heeluva lot of fun, regardless of it's flaws, and that's all that matters. The only thing I wished though was that the cities had bigger buildings, like skyscrapers and such. I was a little disappointed that the Mars capital city, EOS, wasn't as big and dense as I had hoped. Also, rocket launcher equipped gunships would've improved Fun Factor as well as moar mech suits. Why were these things so rare? They were my favorite vehicles in the game.

Furthermore, once you break something, that's it. It's gone forever, and there's not really that much stuff to break once you play through and realize you've already destroyed everything. Wrecking crew mode is great fun too. Especially if you and your buddy is drunk while playing. :cheers:

Lastly, the demolition guerrilla actions were my favorite, especially the one in EOS with the only 2 huge skyscrapers in the game, albeit both still being under construction and nowhere near complete structures.

On this note, I wouldn't mind a sequel, or at least if Volition allowed other devs to use their awesome Geomod 2.0 technology for destruction in their games.

Half-life 2 SMOD - 9.5/10

This mod turns the already awesome HL2 into something with the enemy count of a game like Halo or Call of Duty, and it really shows off how surprisingly good the A.I actually is when it's allowed to do its thing. Not to mention it adds tons of more guns and a few enemy additions as well as bullet-time which is actually necessary in a few occasions.

Try fighting those Green Combine Elite without bullet-time. Haaaaaaaaaard.

If you don't believe me then get this mod and play through the Nova Prospekt chapter. ****ing unreal and perhaps a little too sadistic at times.

It also demonstrates just how out of date the health bar game mechanic is in an FPS these days. Regenerating health ftw.

I strongly recommend people like Warbie should try this mod.

I'll give it a go - cheers for the heads up :)

Oh just a heads up, the mod doesn't have regenerating health, I was just pointing out that its so much better than being ganked at low health after a long firefight.

I completely agree about regnerating health - at least in games that feature bucket loads of combat. It encourages risk taking, experimenting, and allows for more challenging ai and much harder difficulty settings. I'll give smod a go, but if it results in me throwing my mouse against the wall it'll be your fault!

Im not sure that constitutes a post in this thread. Do it again.

god damn it Remus.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 5/10

Giving it that score because I otherwise risk giving it too much credit or being unnecessarily harsh. I've tried to enjoy this game, I really have. But it's not doing anything for me. It feels like half my moves are counteracted by random and inexplicable things, I don't like playing most of the characters, and I constantly have no ****ing idea what is going on. All I see is a bunch of tiny characters whirling everywhere around the screen and smashing buttons until Starfox turns into a ****ing tank yet again and blows everybody off into the chasm of death. Then, when it seems like the tide has turned in my favor, I get tripped. Jesus Christ, really?

Perhaps it's because I've never been a fan of the fighter genre (it's down there with racing games for me). And yes, I understand the whole thing is supposed to be fun and games; something you knock about with the lads for a few rounds. Maybe I'm just a sore loser! Still, not having any of it. If there's one thing I don't like in a game, it's the feeling of having no control over the outcome. This title embodies that and my inner hardcore gamer doesn't have the patience for such things. It's like I might as well have poured a can of spam into the Wii's disc drive.

This all feels very strange to me since I loved the N64 version back in the day.
Did the game change?
Did I?

Any way, what with the same disappointment I've had with every other Wii title I've played now, I'm glad it was my roommate who made the investment in the console instead of me.

I'll give smod a go, but if it results in me throwing my mouse against the wall it'll be your fault!

There are a few moments in the mod where I just went "**** it' and enabled God Mode. Specifically when fighting against the flying manatee's and their revved up chainguns.

And healthpacks suck compared to regenerating health. There's nothing more annoying than getting through a tough encounter barely alive only to be ganked by the very next lowest form of enemy waiting behind a corner. Healthpacks make you rely on quicksave where as regenerating health lets you breathe after every battle.

I bought this collection of Medal of Honor games for PC, where you get five MoH titles total and whilst I've played some of them previously, I felt like taking a second run through them. Well now I'm done. I played through all games on hardest difficulty except for MoHPA, because it had a 4th dificulty that made it take too long to finish. So, without further ado, here's the list.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault
This one is a classic, probably the best music of the MoH-games and probably the most remembered of the series. This game introduced me to the entire operation overlord part from WWII and as a game it was really impressive to me. I love this game mostly because of the design on the levels. Especially the town near the end levels. It has really great atmosphere. The multiplayer was pretty neat too.

8/10

Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Spearhead
A bit short, although most MoH games are, this one was especially short. You could finish each mission in less than an hour and the last one, probably less than half an hour. Despite it's short gameplay it was still good, but it left a bit of meh in my mouth.

6.5/10

Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Breakthrough

This one was a bit longer and a bit more varying than Spearhead. All of the games so far are basically the same because they're on the same engine and same kind of gameplay. The only varying factor is the weapons, character models and levels. The gameplay overall is basically the same.

7/10

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault

While this game was a bit different from the previous PC releases it wasn't that good in my opinion. It had a new graphics engine this time (I think) and the graphics didn't age well. The colours are just wierd sometimes. At least in the in-game-rendered cutscenes. This game gets minus points for the bugs though because I remember playing the mission before the last mission (the longest one) and whilst I did get all the secret objectives and hero moments I only got two medals out of five (you're supposed to get all of them, assuming you complete all secret objectives). Due to bugs like these and somewhat bad aging of graphics (plus some graphics bugs), this game gets the worst score of the three games.

5.5/10

Medal of Honor Airborne

This one I really like. Most people probably thinks Allied Assault is the best one in the series, but this one stands out for me. It runs on the Unreal Engine 3.0 and the graphics are outstanding. What I really like is the controlls. For example: If you have thumb-buttons on the mouse (like I do) you can aim through your scope using this button (this also makes you stationary) and then aim and lean around corners using WASD and you can not only lean around corners, but also crouch behind objects, look over them, etc. I also like the parachute part in the beginning of every mission that enables you to choose where you want to begin the mission, either in a safespot or in the middle of the gunbattle. Again this game is a bit short, but finishing it on hardest difficulty takes a bit longer.

8.5/10

Going to have to disagree on Pacific Assault since I didn't have any of those medal issues and I believe that the graphics have aged remarkably well.
The only thing I didn't like was how it thrust you into a battle for the opening and then threw you in a tutorial afterwards, made no sense really.

airbone got 8.5/10...what? and you're saying it's better than allied assault?

Airborne was good for the first level, onwards not so much.

Airborne was good for the first level, onwards not so much.

The level before the last level and the level before that was meh, but I liked the rest. (I hated watching out for snipers and at the same time having to blow up tanks.)

Red Faction 1

5.5/10

Decent game for it's age, but nothing amazing. As time went on through the game I enjoyed it less. Boss fights were mostly bad and the final task in the game was not fun at all. Click these buttons in a random sequence before the screen turns white and we make you do it again... oooo funn.

Heresy. Red Faction 1 was awesome. And the online was fun as well.

Red Faction 1: 8 nostalgias/10.

Civilisation III
8/10

It's pretty fun, sadly it has some unstability with Windows Vista (as with everything else). The graphical options also seem to be nonexistent. I'm still quite out of practice in it, struggling to do pretty much anything correctly. I played as the Germans, because I felt German.

Heresy. Red Faction 1 was awesome. And the online was fun as well.

Red Faction 1: 8 nostalgias/10.

I'm planning to get Steam version to kick more noob ass online. :cool:

demo time!

Mini Ninjas Demo-

Okay really really crap. It's a very simple and boring platformer. It's far too easy, linear, boring environments, confusing menus and you can basically do everything by mashing the square button making all the over choices useless. Also not to sound really nitpicky but there are alot of punctuation errors in the subtitles I noticed. To think this came from IO interactive is unbelieveable.

Wet Demo-

Meh. To sum it up simply it is just a boring version of stranglehold but with less moves, no destructible or interactive environments, really irritating soundtrack and a grindhouse feel that I personally hate.

Trine Demo-

Okay don't flame me people but I just don't see the huge appeal behind this game and I still don't after playing the demo. It was probably the best of the 3 I played but I still didn't really like it. I found the combat quite annoying and felt it took too much damage off per hit considering how easy it is to get hit, plus the physics of alot of the rotating platforms made the platforming very infuriating. Made this a very annoying experience and I just wanted it to be over. I wouldn't be too mad if it weren't for the fact that this game costs £18. Seriously? **** off.

Batman:Arkham Asylum - 9.5/10 (360)

It's a testament to this game that it's the first game that has actually caused me to finish a game on my 360. It's also the first game I have played on the 360 where I've been left wanting more.
I wouldn't say I'm a big Batman fan, sure I enjoy the 2 Burton and Nolan movies and have seen some of Batman: The Animated Series as a kid but other than that I am pretty ignorant to the world of Batman.
I understand that this is a game based on the comic book rather than a movie which means it has a lot of content to draw upon, and make use of it the game does. From the newly made over characters to the gadgets Batman uses everything just oozes quality.
The actual Asylum itself is beautifully realised, especially after a certain lady gets free and gives the place a herbal makeover. Some amazing level design and texture work, not to mention the lighting really bring the environments to life.
The combat is the same as many experienced from the demo, but as you get further into the game and receive new upgrades and come across as many as 15 enemies at a time it's easy to see why Rocksteady made the combat moves so quick and easy to pull off.
The boss fights can be a little easy, but one of my pet peeves are boss battles that become frustrating to the point of giving up, so this really wasn't a problem for me, especially given the creativity of some of them, the Scarecrows being some of the best designed and atmospheric levels I have ever played.
I was expecting this game to fall flat on it's arse. From a dev with very little experience and a licence that has yet to produce anything worthwhile game wise the prospects did not look good but they have done something amazing and for me, made the game of the year.

You bastard, that's just pushed me over the edge :)

I've been going hot and cold on Batman for a while now. Reports of dumbed down combat put me off, then the demo came out and it was pretty decent. There was the review scandal, and now more reliable sources are giving it great scores. What finally tipped the boat was every user impression i've read on every gaming forum I frequent saying it's excellent and more surpasses the demo. However, I won't be holding any of them to blame if it turns out to be poo, Stemot. It'll be you I come for!

Looks like Stemot took Eidos' thirty pieces of silver.

Mini Ninjas Demo-

Okay really really crap. It's a very simple and boring platformer. It's far too easy, linear, boring environments, confusing menus and you can basically do everything by mashing the square button making all the over choices useless.

Wow, I disageree on every point. It looks lovely - the animation is superb and the environment looks lush (reminds me a little of Wind Waker) - and for a game of this type it is surpirisngly non linear - there's a good deal to explore and areas/items to discover. Combat is pretty easy, although I did die a few times on the hardest setting, and there's lots of neat little touches and attention to detail that more than set this aside from the sea of generic action/adventure games out there. I get a Goemon mixed with Kung Fu Panda vibe about the whole thing and find it hard to understand anything less than unconditional love for the little Ninja and co.

Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3) - 9/10

Maybe another 9.5. Im still torn as I havent finished it yet, only played 2 or 3 hours or so.

Just read what is said above by stemot, nicely summarised and I cant be arsed to type alot.

Scarecrow's section puts Bioshock to shame. Its SO trippy and is TRULY scary. Its mainly an audio scare but its done SO well. Some serious moments where you stop, look around and think 'what...the...f...'

Combat is addictive. Seems simplistic at first but trust me, its harder than it looks.

Slight lip-syncing problems here and there but thats the only problem I can think of so far.

Oni - 2/10 (PC)

What the ****ing is this piece of shit? I'll never get another Bungie game. Dumbest game of 2001. You can't fight for shit. It's trying to be like Urban Chaos, but failing at it. It's Halo all over again, copy+paste level design, find x to open door, cheesy story/dialogue...seriously, **** this shit.

Yeah, it's easy to fight in Easy mode. I started in Normal mode, but it went crazy after level 8 or something so I had to set it to Easy mode. How the **** they expect anyone to beat boss with half health.

Back