Games: Rate and Discuss

Yeah, I borrowed 2 and 3 from a friend when I got my PS3 and gave up on 2 a few hours in. The story felt like Call of Duty in future nazi space but with less motivation. Just a load of "Ramirez, go over here" without any solid justification.

Spelunky is fun but also a giant horrible ****. But in a fun way. I'm somehow enjoying learning about all the hilarious and unfortunate ways I can die, usually due to carelessness. Most recently I've learned not to stand under an arrow trap if I'm trying to set it off to avoid ricochets, and to not always set off a boulder trap at the top of a level until I know where the shopkeeper is (those guys know how to hold a grudge).

Saints Row IV - 9/10

Not your typical SR game but really enjoyed the over the top super powers. Possibly the greatest opening and ending missions to a game I've ever played.

The Bureau - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed delving into the back story of XCOM and I had none of the AI issues complained about because I actually gave orders to my sqaud and didn't expect them to fend for themselves. It's a great feeling of dread when facing a muton on ground level.

Splinter Cell Blacklist - 8/10

Torn on this because apart from a few forced action segments (yes I know the original Splinter Cell had these) the gameplay is a great Splinter Cell game, back to hiding in shadows with non lethal takedowns and some great level design. the unfortunate thing is, they've turned one of my favorite video game characters into a serious asshole. He runs around never cracking any of the dark humour that Fisher had become loved for. He just constantly berates his team for disobeying orders even though they saved his life. This from the guy who in the last two games became a national fugitive. I've given it a good rating because it plays like a great SC game, but they had better bring back Fishers personality in the next game or I'm out.

Rayman Legends 10/10
This game is the definition of fun. There is nothing to complain about, awesome music, awesome level design, awesome characters, everything fits so perfectly together. After the main game you have fun challenges, a little VS mode which is extremely fun and there are still 40 remade levels from Rayman Origins.
You may think 10/10 is still a lot, but seriously I have so much fun playing this, more fun than playing Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light and Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm, which are my favorite games of the year. Unless Watch Dogs is not ****ing awesome, and GTA 5 will not come this year to the PC, Rayman Legends is my game of the year! Its even better than Rayman Origins which was already so much fun and I never expected that its possible that they can make it better.

While playing this I always have a smile on my face :D

Spelunky - F**k

Devilishly addictive and far deeper than it first appears. Improving at the game requires not only knowledge of its systems, but also mastery of its controls and a lot of persistence, both in retrying and learning from your mistakes, and in being alert enough from moment to moment to avoid its many pitfalls. It's really impressive how much nuance there is in what is, on the surface, a relatively simple platformer.

Spelunky - F**k

Devilishly addictive and far deeper than it first appears. Improving at the game requires not only knowledge of its systems, but also mastery of its controls and a lot of persistence, both in retrying and learning from your mistakes, and in being alert enough from moment to moment to avoid its many pitfalls. It's really impressive how much nuance there is in what is, on the surface, a relatively simple platformer.

I kinda liked the freeware version but the stupid as hell time limit thing made the game unplayable for me.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

boring, derivative piece of shit

Killer Is Dead

beautiful, half cutscenes, weird as any other Goichi Suda game

Lost Planet 3

Presented nicely, but ultimately boring as all f*Ck and tedious Dead Space knock-off in terms of style with running back and forth through places and Capcom are once again giant retards for outsourcing a very good co-op game to a western dev who only has experience making two very shitty games (Legendary and Turning Point) and turning the series into a story focused, competitive MP based multiplayer game again when 2 had a perfect formula.

Deadpool

Just as unfunny as the character himself. Short as hell and gameplay is shallow as balls.

Zeno Clash 2

Enjoyable for a short time. Very shallow gameplay with a very loose story.

War Thunder:What can I say? It's a game about airplanes shooting eachother. It's pretty fun, all things considered, but it's got its fair share of glitches, and idiots who FLY DIRECTLY INTO ME WHO ARE ON MY TEAM. I actually have a lot of fun playing this game, but for some reason I do WAY better if I'm talking to somebody while playing. Its weird.

I kinda liked the freeware version but the stupid as hell time limit thing made the game unplayable for me.

I don't know if it worked exactly the same way in the freeware, but I don't think it'd really work without the time limit. The whole point is that you're trying to be cautious and take the best possible path through the level you can, getting as much gold/items/damsels as you're able while managing your bombs and ropes, but the time limit forces you to make tough decisions in the moment instead of just wandering around trying to 100% every level without that extra level of tension. That'd be a completely different game and, at least I feel, a much less satisfying one. Also, it's not really a hard time limit since, if you're skilled enough, you can still juke the ghost and get around him, and he can actually be used to improve your score since when he passes over gold he turns it into diamonds. Not something I've been brave enough to try yet. :x

Project Diva F - I just got, it's a rhythm game but it's got a very high difficulty curve. Just normal mode was hard as hell at first, but I ruled it to becoming acclimatized since the only hard mode song I did took forever to beat. After beating that ONE song on hard mode, everything on normal suddenly became amazingly easy.

Being a game from Japan, it's got some creepy shit in it, like a room with the characters in which you "pet" them to gain on their "like meter" (or w/e it's called). That lets you unlock inconsequential games like rock-paper-scissors, the only point of winning or losing is to see the character's reactions.

Creepiness aside, the game itself is quite enjoyable. Although the interface is different, I'd compare it to something like Guitar hero since you're basically matching beats to button presses.

Outlast 8/10

I'll not try to bluff anyone, when it comes to games I'm a pussy. The original Dead Space made me quit my original playthrough for 6 month until I mustered the courage to go back to it. I've never finished Amnesia, hell I've never even gotten to the first actual creature encounter beyond the water section. This game does what amnesia does to me and makes me not want to go back to it. Which in a horror game I suppose is a good thing. The games visuals are stunning for an indie game, reminding me of the first time I played F.E.A.R. maxed out. Your character has fully body awareness and simple things like your character bringing his hand up to a door frame as you peek around it add much to the atmosphere. AI can be a little flaky at times but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Heres the first 40 mins for anyone interested and doesn't mind mild spoilers.

Beyond: Two Souls
9/10 : Loved it

It needs to be prefaced that you need to have like Quantic Dream's other games in order to like this one. The gameplay is just like Heavy Rain so if you're looking to play a game that uses mechanics that allow you to "win" at whatever is happening on screen, you should not play it. The game is all about the story, and how it changes when you choose things, or even just **** up one of the quicktime events. There was one part of the game, which I saw a video walkthrough for before the game released. When I played it though, I completely botched a whole sequence of quicktime events, and as a result the whole chapter's ending was completely different than what I saw in the video. Its not like The Walking Dead where the choices you make have only a superficial effect, it was a pretty significant change. Judging by what I have read of other people's playthroughs, there is a shitload of variance, and I can't wait to play it again (though I will have to, because I'm letting some people borrow it).

The story does falter a bit at the end, like every story ever except Breaking Bad's, which is why I docked it a point. But I loved every other part of the game, and the very end of the game redeems itself (or at least, my ending did). Would highly recommend it if you enjoyed Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. I liked it more than both those games. Might go back and play Heavy Rain again while I wait for this to be returned to me.

State Of Decay PC (Inc. Breakdown DLC)- 9/10

This is a contender for my GoTY and it's only a cheap indie title. Sure it's janky with some funny little glitches and sometimes it does devolve into a cycle of fetch quests but the immersion level is something I've not found in any of the other indie zombie titles on Steam. Tasked with keeping a group of people with different personalities alive in a zombie apocalypse set in a suburban valley, you must scavenge supplies, rescue survivors and keep your home base fortified and safe from the zombie hordes and infestations that gather in the other parts of the map. The game has an impressively sized map for an indie title with some quite impressive detail in the game world. The Breakdown DLC takes the story missions out of the original game and gives you the rest to play with, making you repair and RV to move on everytime you deplete an areas resources in kind of NG+ way.
Combat while initially pretty ropey has hidden depths and the feeling of smashing in a zombies head with the hammer your using with a special move never gets old.
Seriously love this game and looking forward to the next DLC. A word of warning, mouse control is still a little off with the devs promising a fix soon, but playing on 360 pad has been flawless for me.

Gameplay videos from the base game and Breakdown DLC:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - 9.5/10

I've been playing CS since 2000, and as time went on, I slowly became less and less addicted. By the time 1.6 was out, I had moved on in my path of gaming to explore other MP options. Counter-strike source, although pretty at its time, didn't hold much weight for me and I don't think I played it for more than a few hours. CS: GO has rekindled my addictive nature to online gaming. I feel like it's 2002 all over again. Me and some buddies formed a not-so-official-team and play the matchmaking competitive mode almost religiously. I've been playing this title consistently since its release 16 months ago, and I see no signs of slowing down. I get annoyed at how addicted I am, because all my other games take forever to get to. I try to play them in-between when my friends aren't on. CS:GO, if you haven't played it yet, needs to be a purchase. Just don't play during steam sales, hacker-nation comes to life for a few weeks as the game is purchased so cheaply.

Watch_Dogs - 8/10

A pretty sick game, quite fast paced so recommended for users familiar with FPS games.

Watch_Dogs - 6/10

very uninspired story and characters. Boring gameplay because weapons feel boring, cars feel boring and melee feels boring too. Also very terrible performance especially on AMD. Hacking is just gimmicky most of the time (not always). I think they have a lot of good ideas but the execution is really bad. Watch_Dogs 2 could become great though.

Shovel Knight - 10/10

****ING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Walking Dead Season 2 - 9/10

Just a point off because it wasn't quite as awesome as S1.

you liked Season 2 that much? I was disappointed because there were many parts in the story where characters reacted weird. A lot of the time the reaction of characters felt exxagerated or forced so the game can go a certain direction. Also many choices were fake, they didnt do ANYTHING. Still, I like Clementine as the main character a lot and I hope to see her back in S3, but older (like 18-25) ;)

I really enjoyed Season 2 as well. Found it much more interesting than The Wolf Among Us which everybody seemed to love.

I played all 4 MGS games for the first time now and I am blown away, here are my short reviews. Some general words about the MGS franchise: I love these games, because they are so unique. They are games which know that they are games, always breaking the 4th wall and making jokes in an otherwise very serious game which somehow works great. The greatest strength of these games are in my opinion the characters.

Metal Gear Solid - 10 out of 10
This game is as old as Half-Life, but as Half-Life it aged very very well and is still so much fun!

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - 9 out of 10
The problem with the second MGS was for me the camera. In the first MGS the camera was no problem because it was more arcade and also you always had the radar online whereas in MGS2 you had to find a computer first to activate the radar for that area and also enemies had realistic vision but in MGS1 they only could see as far as the player.
Apart from that though it added many many things to the gameplay and is overall still a great game and did some really crazy stuff at the end which was mind-blowing.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 10 out of 10
Now here we got a proper camera, the aiming was still a litte, just a little bit, annoying. This added many new features like survival features and the cure system and had probably the strongest and best written female character I ever saw. This was a little bit like a James Bond movie whereas 1 and 2 felt more like Animes.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 11 out of 10
Oh my god. MGS4 took everything from the older games and PERFECTED it. They put out unnessesary stuff and optimized everything else. The controls are FANTASTIC. The cutscenes are so goddamn well written that many movie makers would piss themselves. I would say this in the same league as stuff from Nolan and Tarantino. And it had its very own style, it didnt felt like Hollywood, it also didnt felt like Asian stuff but something in between.
Some people dislike that the cutscenes were very long, but they were long in previous games too and also this is the final chapter of Solid Snake so they needed that much time for the cutscenes.
Also the cutscenes were placed in places where it didnt annoy me at all. The pacing overall was really good. Also the guns felt really good with nice recoil and sounds, better than in many FPS games. And still it was a stealth game, but so much more intense, because you have to sneak through war zones where everyone is fighting each other and you try to sneak through.
Also this game had very very nostalgic moments which felt nostalgic to me even if I played MGS1 like 2 weeks before MGS4 for the first time.
Also the finale was just simply E P I C.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is in my top 3 games of all time. (The others are Half-Life and Dark Souls)

Alien Isolation - 9/10

Well, it took the Colonial Marines debacle for someone to finally give me the Alien game I was waiting for (I know this was already well into development when CM was released but I like romanticizing things). A game where the source material has been recreated painstakingly in not only creature design but also universe and lore. The visuals on a good PC are fantastic and I've never had the game once dip below 60fps maxed out (v-sync on). With all the environments from the Ridley classic replicated and expanded into a massive space station which is stalked by the Alien. The Alien AI is where the game really shines and you will be punished by it as it stalks you in the vents and throughout the base. Anywhere you can go so can the beast.
I played the game on Hard mode and really enjoyed trying to outsmart the Alien as it learns from your attempts to distract and hide from it.
I don't agree that it was too long either. It took me 20 hours to do the campaign and the 2 Nostromo DLC's and I'm still wanting more.
This is easily my GOTY.

Last edited:
for me Alien Isolation is only 8/10 because it had some filler parts in it which were annoying and also the combat had more potential. Without all the filler stuff I would say 9/10 too.
The performance of this game was really impressive. I had constant 90fps which is crazy, it looks beautiful especially the lighting.

for me Alien Isolation is only 8/10 because it had some filler parts in it which were annoying and also the combat had more potential. Without all the filler stuff I would say 9/10 too.
The performance of this game was really impressive. I had constant 90fps which is crazy, it looks beautiful especially the lighting.

I can't say I found any part annoying. When I was killed I knew why it was my own fault and the combat is supposed to be ineffective so that it's something you use as a last resort and something that rarely pays of.

I can't say I found any part annoying. When I was killed I knew why it was my own fault and the combat is supposed to be ineffective so that it's something you use as a last resort and something that rarely pays of.
yeah i know what you mean. The game was never unfair imo. I dont mean have more combat in it, only make the combat which was in it more interesting.

SPOILER ALERT
later when you get the bolt gun you just pick of working joes one by one which is dull and boring. this is just 1 of the examples.

yeah i know what you mean. The game was never unfair imo. I dont mean have more combat in it, only make the combat which was in it more interesting.

SPOILER ALERT
later when you get the bolt gun you just pick of working joes one by one which is dull and boring. this is just 1 of the examples.

I enjoyed that because I could finally get revenge on those
Hazard suited hard to kill bastards :D

Combat in Alien Isolation?! I'm intrigued (I thought it amounted to "run for your life" the entire time).

Borderlands: The Pre Sequel: 10/10
This is coming from a rabid fan of BL2, so you'll need to calibrate my score to something that aligns more closely with reality. What hooked me on Borderlands in the first place was the skill trees... it's a first-person shooter, but you get to do all this extra cool stuff. In The Pre Sequel (TPS), the actions and skils are pretty fun (level 50 Wilhelm, level 50 Athena, and I'm working on the other two now). With Athena's Ceraunic Storm tree, there's so much to do when in combat... swap weapons to trigger Storm Weaving, jump in the air to trigger Smite, butt slam near enemies for damage and to leash them with Hades' Shackles, zap them with Semiconductor when they shoot you, gather them together and shock them with a Quasar, let your Aspis fly to burn and shock them with a nova, and transfer DoT to any enemies that survived... you can fire your weapon if you really need to (and this is just one of her three skill trees). I could write way too much here, but if you liked BL2, you'll probably like this (there are some noticeable differences though... vending machines actually carry good loot, like legendaries, which can bankrupt you if you can afford them, for example). Did I mention the laser shotguns? Pew pew!

what the hell?
I´m not a huge fan of Borderlands, but I liked Borderlands 2. It had okay missions, good writing unlike the first game and good characters. But I dislike the first game. Now I played the Pre-Sequel and its GARBAGE in my opinion. The enviroment is so damn boring, the weapons are boring (mostly cause we know them all from BL2) and the mission design is terrible. The worst thing is that there is no single character in the game which is interesting (playd for 5h or so) and it trys so much to be funny but it isnt (the first game had that too but not that much).
I give it a 5/10. I would play BL2 again instead of this. I hope BL3 they will improve the game, especially how the guns handle.
Borderlands is so simple, I dont understand why no other developers trys to do this kind of game. A proper developer could show how its done.

Oh and before you say that you gave that high score because you are a fan, why not be critical? Especially as a fan you should criticise the game so the devs dont do the same shit over and over but are forced to improve the game.

Combat in Alien Isolation?! I'm intrigued (I thought it amounted to "run for your life" the entire time).

Not quite the case, while it's true if the Alien sees you your dead (although the flamethrower can be used to stop him killing you outright) there are still humans that will attack you and also the Working Joe androids will sometimes need putting down and these encounters are what the weapons are for. The trouble is Ripley isn't very good at using weapons so it makes sense to only use them in a pinch and any time you do there is a risk of the Alien inviting itself to the party.

Counter strike global offensive 6/10

Counter-Strike is so much more than matchmaking ...
play on community-servers, custom game-modes, use faceit and stuff if you want competitive 5v5 128tick

Splatoon

9/10

Still needs more game modes and more maps, but what's here is top-tier. All the maps and gametypes s(p)lated through August are free, so 14 maps for the pricetag. The gameplay is incredible, very tightly balanced (except for the Krak-On Roller which has an overpowered special) (and also except for the Japanese lag advantage that leads to ridiculous lag kills or impossible kill trades), and totally mechanically unlike any other game you've ever played. Splatoon is very nearly worth the purchase of a Wii U alone, and if you don't like any of the other exclusives then you arguably don't like videogames for their game components.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - The writing is even worse than I remembered/10

Dicking with the guards is still fun though.

Back