GLaDOS acts funny due to morality core

tehsolace

Reaction score
OK so its probably apparent to most but I felt like discussing my conclusion of this aspect of the story:

GLaDOS basically went evil after becoming self-aware, so someone (before or after killing everyone with a neurotoxin, I don't know) installed a morality core (the purple eyeball) to stop her from killing people directly. So, throughout the game she is constantly trying to kill you, but has to do it in either "accidental" ways (ie. reverting you to a live-fire android course), or in misdirected ways (your candlescence victory). Everytime she wants to say something sadistic or evil, the morality core stops her in mid sentence (hence, the constant audio scratches as she is speaking during the game).

Once you remove it, she is back to her normal evil self and free to say/do whatever she wants.

Anything anyone can add to this? Sorry if its so obvious to most.

Yeah.

"You're doing... very well."

"You are an... excellent... test subject.

The part where she admits you'll be killed at the end, and she says "you will be... missed" creeps me out every time because you can tell she really wants to say something different.

The part where she admits you'll be killed at the end, and she says "you will be... missed" creeps me out every time because you can tell she really wants to say something different.

yeah, i was wondering about that as well.

That's an interesting thought. I hadn't really considered -why- she'd occasionally cut herself off in mid-sentence.
Another example -
We will cease to enhance the truth in three... two... *burst of static*

That is such a good theory. I had not thought of that at all.

This honestly has to be the case because once the morality core falls off, she is able to speak fluently and with an evil tone to her voice.

She provides me with my lovable weighted companion cube, therefore GLaDOS is awesome

emot-lovewcc.gif

Then why doesn't she want you to destroy it?

Because she never figured out what that thing lodged into her was. You would think an AI like that would figure out that a mysterious object stuck on her is causing harm.

my fave is on the last stage of the fling training, the one that was in all those old playtest vids and when you get to the top she just says...

'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...'

But she does lie to you about the once chamber being impossible. Maybe she was allowed lie that time because it was part of test protocalls?

my fave is on the last stage of the fling training, the one that was in all those old playtest vids and when you get to the top she just says...

it took me 3 tries to get GLaDOS to say weeeeee :/

but yeah, thats definitely the most awesome GLaDOS quote in the game!

I love that quote. GLaDOS freaked some of us out with it though, because we said "Weeeeee" at almost the same time as she did. XD

Hey, I was GCF browsing and I found these interesting lines that I don't think I triggered in game.

in "portal english.gcf" (root)/portal/sound/vo/aperture_ai/
escape_02_miscbabble-01.wav - "Look, we're both stuck in this place. I'll use lasers to inscribe a line down the center of the facility, and one half will be where you live and I'll live in the other half."
escape_02_miscbabble-02.wav - "We won't have to try to kill each other, or even talk if we don't feel like it."

Not only that, but she also tells you early on how she plans to kill you.

"You will be baked...and then there will be cake"

Back