GLaDOS in new Pacific Rim movie trailer

Ken

Sandvich
Reaction score
At 0:46, then again at 1:01 until 1:16.

Uncanny.

It's very difficult to separate that voice from the image of an omniscient sociopath killing machine.

Movie looks a little too cheesy, but it's Guillermo del Toro, so I'm gonna give it a chance.

Agreed with Maestro, Del Toro is the only reason I have the slightest hope for this movie.

The GLaDOS voice is really blatant. Sounds like they ran Ellen's voice through the same filters even.

oh boy now all the retarded Portal fans are dfg jhykl;;liuy

this movie is going to be f*cking amazing f*ck all of you Del Toro is mai waifu

I'll watch it, but the Glados voice is making me not want to pay to watch it.

This from Yahoo;

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-editors/first-trailer-arrives-pacific-rim-124152157.html

Update: As several of you have noted in the comments, the AI in the film sounds rather similar to GlaDOS, the terrifying antagonist from the 'Portal' games. Make that identical, because not only is it the same actress - Ellen McLain — but del Toro also applied the same filter and effects. Del Toro is such a fan of the games that he called studio Valve to ask if he could borrow McLain for the film. In an interview with The Escapist, he said: I'm a big fan of Valve, 'Portal' and 'Left 4 Dead' have been instrumental family experiences at my house."

I guess that explains it then ;)

BTW, I think this movie looks terrible. But like others have said because its Del Toro I'll give it a chance.

"Yes, I think we should allow our video game character's iconic characteristics to be directly lifted into a film that has absolutely nothing to do with said games or characters. This will improve the experience for both audiences."

Apparently, decisions like this get made at Valve. :/

like honestly the amount of hate this movie is getting proves how retarded everyone that isn't me is, maybe you'd like it if it were about shrek

Del Toro is such a fan of the games that he called studio Valve to ask if he could borrow McLain for the film.​
Hopefully he also asked to make her sound exactly like GlaDOS. Would be kinda shitty of him to ask to use the actress without letting them know he was going to directly rip off the majority of their character as well. Would be like asking the Iron Man producers if they could use Robert Downey Jr, they go "uh, sure? Not like we own him" and being all like "oh sweet guys I luv you so much" and then putting Robert Downey Jr in the Iron Man suit even though he's in a totally not-Iron-Man movie and being all like "they said I could." http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000375/

"Yes, I think we should allow our video game character's iconic characteristics to be directly lifted into a film that has absolutely nothing to do with said games or characters. This will improve the experience for both audiences."

Apparently, decisions like this get made at Valve. :/
LOL. On one hand I thought it was pretty cool to hear Gladys in this trailer ....... on the other it seems like a bit of a stupid idea to me! I mean they could have done something original but sounding similar. That's got to be better than using the same actress, playing the same character & the same effects processing for the voice. I mean it IS Gladys. Is this the best idea the film guys could come up with?! This says to me that the guys at Valve are much more creative than the people making films ..... Valve should be making the films! Maybe Half Life 3 will actually be a film! :)

Hopefully he also asked to make her sound exactly like GlaDOS. Would be kinda shitty of him to ask to use the actress without letting them know he was going to directly rip off the majority of their character as well. Would be like asking the Iron Man producers if they could use Robert Downey Jr, they go "uh, sure? Not like we own him" and being all like "oh sweet guys I luv you so much" and then putting Robert Downey Jr in the Iron Man suit even though he's in a totally not-Iron-Man movie and being all like "they said I could."
The voice isn't even a personality. It's just a voice for the system diagnostics inside the Jaegers. They liked the way GLaDOS sounded and figured it would sound goo as the internal voice for them. The way I see it anyway.

Anyway, all well and good, I just f*cking hate Portal fans. More annoying fanbase than Dark Souls.

The voice isn't even a personality. It's just a voice for the system diagnostics inside the Jaegers. They liked the way GLaDOS sounded and figured it would sound goo as the internal voice for them. The way I see it anyway.
The Iron Man suit isn't a personality either, so its okay to use it in unrelated stuff and just pretend its not Iron Man?

But yeah, Portal fans are annoying. Never met a DS fanboy though...

true tru, i was jus saiyinnnnn

And it's not so much the fanboy part with Demon's/Dark Souls series fans, it's more they're all f*cking stupid when it comes to talking about the games. It is no longer about fun or enjoying the game. If you don't do things a certain way every Souls fan will bitch and moan and whine because they're gigantic autists.

For the record, I'm not coming at this from a fanboy angle. I really dislike Portal 2 in comparison to other Valve titles (L4D/2 excepted). I'd be just as buttmad if they had made the robots look exactly like Evangelions.

Actually I really like Evangelion so that doesn't validate it either. But you get what I'm saying.

If they make a cameo of Glados as a Central Robot of some sorts,and put her model there so we can see it even for 10 seconds,wi till be worth it :D
All in All,Shitty movie,i don't care if it is or not Guillermo,would watch it only for McLain :D

If they make a cameo of Glados as a Central Robot of some sorts,and put her model there so we can see it even for 10 seconds,wi till be worth it :D
All in All,Shitty movie,i don't care if it is or not Guillermo,would watch it only for McLain :D

That would be horrible. It would scream "We did this to get portal fans to buy tickets!"

It seems to scream that already though.

Sad. Had to look this guy up to see what he's done. Hellboy? Won't be setting my standards too high on this one.

what is she saying at 0:48 s? accidentally picked it up as "gypsy danger" and now I cannot unhear it.

Back