"God Bless America"

Sickening, reminds me of that Wikileaks video from Iraq.

And I hate to sound like that Thomson fella or whatever his name is, but I can't help to think that these guys might have a played a few hours too much of video games.

they've dehumanized the enemy just like unozero does

those people dont deserve the kinda of status reserved for other groups who have resisted occupation. like the jews when they resisted the british occupation or Patrick Swayze in Red Dawn. dem be heroes. it's all black and white.

now all we need is No Limit and we got a circle jerk.

you've already splooged all over the video. surprised you havent rolled over and gone to sleep yet

While I don't think there was anything wrong with how they killed the terrorists, the joking and demeanor are repulsive, and signs of some sick minds. Thats what happens when you have a volunteer army though. Those people probably joined just so they could do this stuff to people.

no I'm pretty sure that kind of numbness to death happens after you join.

Perhaps it has something to do with their training? I mean, their job is to kill terrorists. If they broke down in tears every time they shot an enemy combatant, I'd think that might have a negative effect on their ability to complete whatever their mission is.

Of course numbness and joy is strictly different, and it's debatable if whether laughing about killing the enemy is better or worse than feeling absolutely nothing at all whilst killing the enemy.

or they could conditioned to believe the enemy is only human by classification

Are you trying to say that since the enemy is dehumanized that soldiers might commit war crimes, mistreating prisoners of war and such? Because I am not getting what you are getting at.

no. it's a known fact that a facet of training involves dehumanizing the enemy so as to make it easier for them to kill the enemy. the by product can be that since they see them as less than human it's easier to take that next step

I've talked to several soldiers and seen many more interviewed and the reality is that this dark and disturbing humor is one of the way they can cope without the even more terrible reality of their situation. To us its terrible, but to them its how they survive. When asked latter they are not proud of it and admit that it was not actually funny.

I myself find this disturbing, but I am not in their shoes and I have never had to cope with the horrors of war.

Edit: Video finally worked. I assumed you were talking about ground troops who have to come face to face with their targets. So, yea that's pretty disturbing, but most of what I said above still applies. As numbers said they train them to dehumanize the enemy, so this sort of black humor is no real surprise. They could not do the job they do without the dehumanization... trust me, soldiers from other nations are not much different.

But I do agree that the military attracts some of our more unpleasant citizens and not all of them know the full significance of their job. Some do, and I've talked to them. Many know exactly what they are doing when they pull the trigger. Then with the "hearts and minds" campaign, this dehumanization needs to either be altered to decreased in order for them to do their job.

now all we need is No Limit and we got a circle jerk.

I'm still keeping track for when you actually contribute something intelligent to a thread. And yup, still at 0. But it's only been 3 years and 3,000 posts, I'm sure those two brain cells will fire off eventually.

I've talked to several soldiers and seen many more interviewed and the reality is that this dark and disturbing humor is one of the way they can cope without the even more terrible reality of their situation. To us its terrible, but to them its how they survive. When asked latter they are not proud of it and admit that it was not actually funny.

To be honest I don't think all of them feel as horrible as we think they should. Many I think truly don't give a shit when they kill someone.

ah now Limit is dictating how soldiers need to feel when they kill an Islamo Fascist

nice.

I don't know why anyone would expect any different. I don't condone what they say, but I have enough empathy to let it go. Being a soldier is like any job in the fact that you lose your composure and become more comfortable with your environment and "coworkers" over time. Think about any job you've had, where you joke around with your fellow coworkers, and make fun of people behind their back. Now imagine it is your job to sit in a hot ass place and kill people. You're going to joke about it, you're going to try to take some pleasure out of it. I think about when we play Arma 2 and make jokes and shit, you can say it's just a game or whatever, but I am sure given you were really in such a situation, you'd be making jokes about the people you're actively trying to kill, no doubt. It's part of what keeps them sane when doing such a horrible job, I am sure.

When the soldiers come home, sometimes their mind is still on the battlefield. that my friends is even more disturbing. war will never look pretty to me

Back