God of War: Chains of Olympus - Reviewed!

IGN tends to over rate things but i don't doubt that it's one of the best titles to grace the PSP
i know i'll be buying it :)

Looks sweet. I'll pick it up on the PS2 after the inevitable port.

Off-topic but I can't believe I only completed God Of War 2 once, for shame :(

Am I the only person that HATES Kratos?

Does anybody else think he's a pissy little tyrant that is simply a pawn of other beings more powerful than him?

I do.

I never really liked him particularly in the second one where he has zero redeemable qualities. That said I still find playing as him badass.

Am I the only person that HATES Kratos?

Does anybody else think he's a pissy little tyrant

I do.

I agree with that. Also it's really hard for me to sympathize with him considering he is the moral equivalent of stalin.
Also most of his troubles are created by himself. If you go out of your way to piss of th gods by insulting them,
killing their followers, destroying their cities, actively threatening their existence they are going to have a hissyfit.

Thats why hes so ****ing badass though, he doesnt give a shit about the Gods.

That's the kind of shit greek gods did though.

He's a completely irredeemable asshole, but that's the point. I love it. He isn't smart, he isn't cunning ... he's just raw strength, lust, greed, anger, etc. personified. Perfect protagonist for a videogame.

Did anyone really doubt this would be good? After the first two games they've more or less got the formula down to a fine art, and with Sony backing it there was no way it wouldn't succeed on a technical level. The PSP is a new direction for the series, but it isn't exactly putting any limits on it either since it's basically just a mini-PS2 with one less analog stick, and God of War never had free camera control anyway.

Not meaning to piss on your bonfire or anything. Still looks great, if predictably so. :thumbs:

I've never played a God of War but reeaally want to.
Honestly, it's great, but not worth the hype. If you've played any other 3D action/platformer with a fighting engine then you've played this - just maybe not quite so polished (unless said game was Ninja Gaiden, but that's just personal preference). It's still well worth a play-through if you can get your hands on it, but I wouldn't sell my left nut for it.

So it sounds like its just as epic as the other 2, except:

-Better, more natural controls
-Less boss fights (naturally, its the PSP)

Still gonna get it. I dont have a PS2 anymore, and when GOW came out I knew at some point i needed to play it. This suits me perfectly, bring on March.

It looks like theres not much involved in the boss fights, as the minigames in the fights look so easy, but just for sheer 'Oh hell yeah that looked cool', I dont think it can be beaten. This is like..the 300 of the gaming world, 300 meets Prince Of Persia.

300 of the gaming world is pretty much spot on. Gameplay-wise, it's just as much about challenge and fun as it is about the "holy shit!" factor, often just watching Kratos kick 9 shades of ass is cool enough (that and there are some mind-blowing environments, especially considering the hardware). The story pretty much boils down to "guy gets angry; kills some shit" except with more mythology.

I wouldn't compare the platforming or puzzles to Prince of Persia though - they're pretty basic. That and it has that Simon-Says button matching that Yahtzee loves so much, but it's used pretty smartly most of the time.

Back