Going to be building a computer soon, need some help.

Reaction score
Going to be building my first computer and just wanted some expert advice on what parts to buy, case, monitor and all. Like a mid to high range gaming PC, don't wanna go to high in price by the way.

I'm a big fan of the Antec 300 Illusion case. It's a great case and doesn't cost much.
Intel Core i5-750/60 w/matching mobo
4GB Ram(G.Skill is a great brand)
ATI 6850/70 or nVidia GTX460 1GB(xfire/SLI for more power)
Hard drive of choice(I like WD or Seagate)
Good brand power supply with 500+(or 650+ for SLI)
Depending on if you choose to go the SLI route it could cost around $11-1500.

As far as monitors, Asus is pretty good. I'd recommend getting at least 24" for 1080p resolution since with that rig you'll be able to make use of it.

Quick and lazy post, if you want more detail I can get you specific parts tomorrow.

You should give a general price range, and also let us know if you already have some components (OS, for example)

I have the i5-750 and it's a great performer and a great value. The newer 760 is slightly better for a few dollars more and is unlocked, if you want to be able to overclock every aspect.

Recently, Intel cut the price of the i7-950 from like $560 to about $300. So that makes it something to consider, in my opinion. But keep in mind the motherboard costs slightly more as well, and you need at least 3 sticks of RAM instead of 2, when compared with the i5-750 or i5-760 option.

Here you can compare the difference between the i5-760 and the i7-950 (reminder: they use different motherboards):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=100

They didn't compare any game benchmarks in that, but they do compare the game performance between the i5-750 and the i7-950 here:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=100

Notice that the i7-950 is better in every test, except that it's a split when it comes to games. Could go either way, depending on the game.

You can use that AnandTech Bench to compare any CPUs.

The i7 9xx series have a higher idle power consumption than the 8xx ones(and i5 7xx series), something also worth considering.

What Quixoticism said, plus a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B cooler and memory that is rated at at least 1600MHz(overclocking potential)

Back