Goldeneye: Source Team Leader Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe his intentions were to burn his apartment down. The charcoal gives off toxic fumes if burning in an enclosed area. It's a much easier way of killing yourself, less painful to go. Sort of like leaving your car on in a closed garage. It's a silent killer.

It is a sad story, I'm sure he had his reasons. Hopefully he's living the good life in some sort of afterlife.

Someone did on Page 2, yes.

Very saddening, and to all those who pour scorn on suicide - honestly, get a life, and stop acting like such callous pricks. Selfish, weak, whatever - it's still very sad. Yes, you look so very tough and admirable when you say things like 'ha, nothing to see here, emo idiot'. I don't think suicide is ever the right way out but that doesn't mean I regard it as anything other than tragic.

What ever your view on Suicide it's best kept out of this thread.
I refuse to do so. He's a liar and a cheat and he stole my bike.

It's very sad news but i have no sympathy or respect to people who commit suicide.

Sulkdodds said:

Heh, I like a sense of humour in a situation like this. It reminds me of after my grandfather's funeral, we were all at the memorial service, and my uncle(grandfather's son), who also works with funerals, coffins and all that(can't remember the name of the profession). We were all at the memorial service, everyone's talking about my grandfather, remembering the good things, when my uncle walks in, looks around, and says "Why are you all so glum, did someone die?". Which some might see as a joke in ill taste, but remember that death is a natural thing, and it happens to everyone.

Anyway, I started to wonder what this man believed the afterlife would hold; he probably wasn't Christian, or I should say Catholic, since suicide gets you straight to hell according to that religion. I reckon he had some more philosophical view of what happens, and that kinda thing interest me, since there are about as many views of the afterlife as there are atheists.

I can't be saddened by this, it's too distant. But it seems to me this guy had his shit figured out, and I'm positive I would've liked him, had our paths crossed(presumtious as that may be).

Its a horrible shame that for some people their problems seem so horrible that death is the only reasonable alternative. Terminal painful disease is about the only reason I could see for such an end....

Hugh_Jazz said:
"Why are you all so glum, did someone die?".
Hah. That somewhat appeals to my desire that when I die, someone actually get some joy out of my death (not out of the fact that I'm dead, but just...that even in death I can make someone happy). I don't believe that laughing about something ever lessens the gravity with which you consider it, or implies that you don't care about it.

He seemed to be pretty convinced that the afterlife would be "something both unimaginable and great". So if he had some sort of mental illness, plus had that mindset... I can understand why he would do it. It sad to see, but who are we to decide whether or not someone who wants to die should live or not. Nobody has any right to say he should or shouldnt have done what he did, only himself. All you guys calling him names and cussing him are damn morons and need to get your heads out of your asses. You have NO right.

Unreal!

My condolences to his family.
But honestly, that guy is a nutjob. Sorry to say that.
I have no sympathy with his actions. And I have no
sympathies with those who promote this idiotic behavior to this
community. People like that need serious therapy.

Hardly. People who "promote" suicide clearly have something wrong with them- but, as far as I can tell, nobody on this thread has said anything REMOTELY along the lines of "suicide is great lol". And just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you can't sympathize with them.

Sulkdodds said:
Someone did on Page 2, yes.

Very saddening, and to all those who pour scorn on suicide - honestly, get a life, and stop acting like such callous pricks. Selfish, weak, whatever - it's still very sad. Yes, you look so very tough and admirable when you say things like 'ha, nothing to see here, emo idiot'. I don't think suicide is ever the right way out but that doesn't mean I regard it as anything other than tragic.

Quoted for emphasis. And I didn't steal your bloody bike, that was Alex!

We'll never know why he went through with this, sure, he said he wanted to know what was the "afterlife" but he could of gone through some serious stress and maybe he should of stuck it out but some people can't take it aswell as others. Theres some awful people out their, that do the most horrid things to other people to push them into a spiral of depression.

If he did this for himself for what he said he did it for, then I have to agree, he is a nutcase and only causing pain for those who knew him, selfish.

Mutley said:
If he did this for himself for what he said he did it for, then I have to agree, he is a nutcase and only causing pain for those who knew him, selfish.
Why do people keep saying people who commit suicide are selfish? So they should live life depressed hoping to die just to keep you happy? I think its selfish of the family and friends to expect someone who has decided they want to die to continue in a life of pain. Hes his own person and sometimes you need to make decisions and if I was the family I would be sad but I would be sadder if he spent the remainder of his life miserable and depressed.

He's not the property of his family, hes not bound to any agreement and while its painful for the family they really shouldnt even come into the equation here on whether one should or shouldnt commit suicide.

As for it being cowardly, thats really easy to say on an online forum. I wonder if you would call your kids a coward if they had commit suicide just that day.

PimpinPenguin said:
It's very sad news but i have no sympathy or respect to people who commit suicide.
Oh, grow up, stop being a pathetic little idiot and open your eyes.

There's a very high chance that at some point in your life, you or someone you know will be deeply affected by mental illness, something that scars forever. Then you might understand the immense, horrific pain that someone can undergo - and get a glimpse of how suicide can sometimes appear to be the only hope of escape.

It's not stress. It's not feeling a bit down in the dumps. It's when your entire existence feels utterly worthless, and nothing you do can appear to make any difference. It hurts, both for the person afflicted and those around him or her.

Suicide is awful, and it's no less a tragedy for any of the people involved, the victims or their families.

I will never understand why someone who got everyhting going does something like this!, but why. ?

Smigit said:
Why do people keep saying people who commit suicide are selfish? So they should live life depressed hoping to die just to keep you happy? I think its selfish of the family and friends to expect someone who has decided they want to die to continue in a life of pain. Hes his own person and sometimes you need to make decisions and if I was the family I would be sad but I would be sadder if he spent the remainder of his life miserable and depressed.

He's not the property of his family, hes not bound to any agreement and while its painful for the family they really shouldnt even come into the equation here on whether one should or shouldnt commit suicide.

As for it being cowardly, thats really easy to say on an online forum. I wonder if you would call your kids a coward if they had commit suicide just that day.

Just seems like no self respect. You don't care about how other people will feel. Suicide for your own sake, just to see what is afterlife helps no one but yourself. He obviously didn't want to wait and didn't care to wait for other peoples sakes.

That is why I think, he is selfish, if he commited suicide, for the reason he said he did.

I think this thread, should be to remember him, not to discuss rights and wrongs.

I love all the comments by the people saying stuff along the lines of 'what a pathetic emo, he's such a selfish coward'. I doubt anyone here knows the circumstances surrounding his suicide but you have people mouthing off like they do. Heaven forbid you find yourself terminally ill, suffering in agonizing pain or elderly, crippled and abandoned by your family because you've become such a pain in the ass. Brave talk from people sitting behind a keyboard sucking down a mountain dew who's only worry is what to have for dinner tonight.

Oh yeah, condolences to the family...which is what this thread should've been about, not all this pontificating crap.

I dunno, it doesn't seem real to me.

Edit: If it is, it seems like a very sad event that has happened though, especially for his poor family.

I'm sorry to hear this, my condolences for his family/friends/everyone else that cared about him.

I think this thread, should be to remember him, not to discuss rights and wrongs.

Exactly, no need to go about labeling/judging him because we all have some dirty laundry and did some crazy shit..given that's all my opinion anyway.

People who commit suicide needed help. You should have sympathy for them for that reason. Depression is an illness - just as "being of unfit mind" is legally valid 'excuse' for committing a crime, as it is for suicide. Many people cannot cope with depression - they should see a doctor about it. Suicide is never the right answer, but it cannot be explained away as "selfishness" or "cowardness", to people who suffer from depression it can appear as their only choice.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_views_on_suicide for more information if you're interested.

im very shocked the halflife2.net staff let this go in the direction it did. you guys seem nothing but immature at the moment.

my sympathies for everything regarding this event.

Sorry if this is a little off topic (you know, not another never-ending argument about the ethics of suicide), but this reminds me of Justin "N0TH1NG" DeJong, the creator of cs_siege and cs_docks for Counter-Strike. I remember Dave Johnston inserting a tribute to his memory in de_dust2 behind the wall near one of the bombsites (if I remember correctly). Anyway, carry on.

Sulkdodds said:
Hah. That somewhat appeals to my desire that when I die, someone actually get some joy out of my death (not out of the fact that I'm dead, but just...that even in death I can make someone happy). I don't believe that laughing about something ever lessens the gravity with which you consider it, or implies that you don't care about it.
100% Agreed.

You people calling him a selfish coward are IDIOTS. If you knew someone living with a disease that put them in constant, unbearable phyiscal pain, would you scorn them for wanting to end it? Well depression (which is by far the number one cause for suicide) puts people under immense PSYCOLOGICAL pain - and to the same extent that someone under constant physical pain wants to die, so does someone suffering from clinical depression. It feels as if it will never end - as if they will never be anything but hugely miserable for the rest of their lives.

It's disgusting that people who know NOTHING about this person or his situation have the audacity to say the crap they're saying.

I've seen what suicide does to a family, so i must say its the most egocentric act you can perform and its the most harsh thing you can do to your family.
For the rest of their lives they are destroyed, --> those are the ones i truely feel sorry for.

Nevertheless RIP and i wish his family the best of luck.

I personally frown upon suicide, but I still pay my respects. He is dead. Can't you idiots show some fvcking respect? He had his reasons.

If you dicks have a relative who committed suicide, do you want to hear this kind of responses? Or maybe in the future too.

So you dipshits who can't even say 'RIP Nick' or 'Best of luck', go and die.

People like that need serious therapy.

Either a nutjob or simply someone who thinks differently from the majority of the emotionless drones of society and felt isolated because of his differences. I've occationally felt suicidal for feeling out of place or transparent among people who seem to look right through me. Having this happen frequently creates this mindset that I am truly invisible to the world and everything in my will won't help to get me out of a rutt to feel loved.

I know my depression is caused by a brain inbalance but I sure as hell am not crazy. I've been there done that when it comes to treatment and medication. In the end It took something else to pull me out of a deep hole, I found direction in my life( and that was a long 5 year journey for me to reach a better life) . Treatment only served to do one thing in my experience, and that was to bring more pain. I was strong enough to find the answers inside myself and will to help myself. Some people unfortunately give up. It is said that Suicide for some people is an inevitable event where its not a matter of IF but rather WHEN it will happen. You have to understand that as long as this has been around, it is largely a mystery why some people do it.

I'm not supporting the guy though, I'm simply attempting to look at it from a different perspective. It does indeed suck that his family has to deal with his shit choice no doubt. But I'm also sure his family weren't completely in the dark in terms of warning signs leading up to this.

Very sad and unfortunate.

Look at Hunter S. Thompson. He was an Journalist and author famous mostly for his book "fear and loathing in las Vegas". Last year at the age of 67 he put a gun to his head and ended his life. You could say he was mentally ill, but I doubt it would take someone 67 years to realize that and suddenly have his condition take over to do this. He probably had other reasons and seeing as he was a journalist, He most likely had a great deal of wisdom when it came to understanding people in general. I don't think being simply "mentally Ill" was responsible for such actions. People have control over almost all of their decisions even if they have Add, depression, whatever.. If the guy could write books and films and such, then he would probably have no problem of being consiously aware of his decisions unless he was under the infleunce.

Nicholas "Nick" L. Bishop, 27, Bellevue, passed away on May 24, 2006, at his home. Nick was born December 5, 1978, in Milwaukee, Wis., to Donald and Susan (Davids) Bishop. He was a graduate of Shawano High School. He was employed with ShopKo in Green Bay. Nick enjoyed working with computers. He was also a video-game enthusiast. He worked on a large team that developed the mod Goldeneye Source. He also enjoyed writing, both stories and screenplays.

Nick will be sadly missed by his parents, Don (Deborah) Bishop, Milwaukee; and Susan Davids, Green Bay; stepfather, Bob Price, Wausau; one brother, Danny Bishop, and one sister, Eve Bishop. He is further survived by many aunts, uncles and other relatives and friends.

Friends may call at Proko-Wall Funeral Home, 1630 E. Mason St., on Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. Funeral 5 p.m. at the funeral home. Online condolences may be sent to Nick's family at www.proko wall.com.

In lieu of other expressions of sympathy a memorial fund is being established in Nick's name.

I guess it is real... I've fallen for a couple of internet deaths before but this one is real. It's quite shocking news and definately sad news, I knew about the Goldeneye Source mod for a while and have been keeping track with it.

RIP Nick. I'll definately be playing the mod in his honour.

Wow... some people on this forum are some really ****ed up and disrepectful individuals. I can't believe how clueless some of you are regarding the facts about mental illness. Seriously, you have NO idea how the world looked through this guy's eyes. You will probably never understand the way he must have felt in those last seconds of his life. Wake the **** up. I'm glad some more sensible people came in later in this thread, I was really starting to worry about this place.

5 pages of the same argument being repeated, interesting. Perhaps these types of things should mourned personally by the family members, it seems that it only makes the person an object of pity/hate/dislike/self-service/opinion-giving/etc.

RIP

Why didn't he just dedicate his own life to the mod? eg. refuse school, work altogether and just work on the mod for a year or so?

Mutley said:
Just seems like no self respect. You don't care about how other people will feel. Suicide for your own sake, just to see what is afterlife helps no one but yourself. He obviously didn't want to wait and didn't care to wait for other peoples sakes.

That is why I think, he is selfish, if he commited suicide, for the reason he said he did.
Cant say I agree but I respect your oppinion. I do think that there was more to it than whats in that letter but, it really only sounds like the closing stanza on something else and I very much doubt he took his own life just out of curiosity. Especially the way he chose to do it (setting fire to his apartment) leads me to suspect there was alot more going on.

But enough of that. I feel sorry for him and the family. This isnt the sort of news you want to read when comming to a gaming site and while I didnt know a thing about the guy it's still extremly sad none the less.

I'm sorry to hear he died. To all the people condemning the guy for killing himself: I don't think you can be so critical of someone when you have no idea of their circumstances or just how they felt. Put it this way: to a lot of people (including myself) suicide is incomprehensible. Now, picture what sort of trauma / depression would have to be brought upon you to even contemplate it, let alone go through with it. That's where suicidal people are in terms of mindset and outlook. I don't think you can ever heap scorn on them or call them a coward unless you've experienced such depths yourself.

I wish all strength to his family and friends in the tough time they are going through.

"You can't believe in afterlife and suicide at the same time."

I can't think of any reason why to choose to kill yourself to solve your problem. But that's the whole problem: >I< can't think of that.

People who tried to commit suicide, but failed AND recovered, always tell the same thing: It all happened in a blur. They don't really know what they were doing afterwards.

This isnt the place to "discuss" if it's selfish or not.
This thread was ment to pay youre respect not youre disrespect in
people that make the decision to end there life.
Suicide42 said:
You can pay your respects to Nick in this forum thread. May he rest in peace.
now stfu or post something like "RIP Nick, my condolences to his family and friends" ...

-dodo

sickre said:
Why didn't he just dedicate his own life to the mod? eg. refuse school, work altogether and just work on the mod for a year or so?

That's retarded.

bigburpco said:
That's retarded.
Hit the nail on the head there.

I'd like to say how it's a great loss but I don't know the guy, I didn't even know who made Goldeneye Source until now. My respect goes out for him.

drunkymonkey said:
I'd like to say how it's a great loss but I don't know the guy, I didn't even know who made Goldeneye Source until now. My respect goes out for him.

That's true. I don't know why, but these kind of news depresses me even if I don't actually know the person... um... involved. Was kind of shocking too, I guess. 'Dead' is not a word that appeals to me... heh.

Wow, Im loss for words after hearing the news of a team leader that had perished.

I felt sad for him and I was blown away by his dedication to the mod.

Rest In Peace, 007:Source mod leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back