Good space shooters?

Glo

Reaction score
Hi there.

Anyone knows of good free space-shooter games the kind of Xenon, Raiden, etc? Is this genre long gone now or what?

Thanks.

All the Elite game, Elite, Frontier: Elite 2, Frontier: First Encounters, they are old(90s) but still unsurpassed in terms of scope and size imo, they're all freeware these days.

Freespace 2. Get the SCP for it and you get funky Dx9 graphics for the best spaceshooter in existence.

The original X-Wing, and Descent were great games, I thought. I still randomly play Descent 2.

All of the Descent and Freespace titles, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter although that's ancient, FREELANCER

To go off-topic a bit: are there any space sims / shooters currently in production that seem to be worthwile? The only real big titles in the genre in the last 5 years seem to be have been Freelancer and the X-series. Loved the former, however shallow it was, and couldn't get into any games of the latter.

Does anyone know if Freespace 2 is freeware yet?

The Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and TIE Fighters Collector's CD-ROM games were great.

You have to have a joystick to use'em properly though, and they're MS-DOS so might be a bit difficult to set up if you aren't familiar with DOSBox.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm actually more interested in those fast paced vertically-scrolling Space Invaders kind of arcade games, rather than space simulators. Still, some of these are really great games.

I coded a space shooter myself called Zaxar.

Unfortunatley its in Java, so posting it on the internet is difficult. I need to learn how to convert it into an applet.

Here's a very poorly made video capture of a very old version:
watch

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm actually more interested in those fast paced vertically-scrolling Space Invaders kind of arcade games, rather than space simulators. Still, some of these are really great games.

Geometry Wars.

Starfield.
And even if you don't like space sims, get Freespace. it makes you think.

Back