Graphics Upgrade Advice Please

O

olistead

Hi,

I am, of course, a very proud owner of HL2 but I want to up my graphics performance. I currently have a GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X, which I know is far from the best but was all I could afford at the time. Money is still tight, but I wondered what I perhaps should upgrade to - looking at £150 or maybe a little less. I've been reading that ATI cards are unreliable and also that they are ideal - which is true? Expert advice would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this info is available elsewhere - I'm poor at searching on this forum!

Thank you, I'll have a look at that. While i'm mining the vast knowledge resources here, what is the best (overall) site for ordering parts off the net, both generally and graphics card specific?

Would a little info help? My system is, crudely, as follows:

Athlon 2600+
512mb RAM (DDR PC2100 266MHz - I have no idea what that all means!)
120HDD
80HDD
Windows XP
A7N8X Deluxe SKT A NForce2 Chipset Motherboard

I have a choice, the way I see it. I can buy a 128mb card and an extra 512mb RAM or just get a 256mb card. Seeing as I want as many of HL2's graphical effects as I can, which is advisable. Eventually, I'll do both, natch :).

you have 512mbs of RAM, that's a lot, and 128mb card is pretty powerful, you can go either way, more RAM will increase your performance of your computer in all aspects, whereas the gfx card may not do all that, just games... and where are you from? if in the states you will want to oprder from an American site newegg is pretty good for that, that's what i've heard... but Im from Canada

heh, York - England.

Umm try a kelkoo or a froogle search. They come up with nuff results.

I'd buy the 6800gt. Ram, as oldfaq said, will speed up your computer in general. Where as a killer graphics card will have you flying through your games.

I am still indecisive - money is rather an object for me. I am actually trying to work out how much benefit I will realistically get from upgrading to either a 9600XT, a 9800 PRO or a 6600GT from my 440MX. I imagine it'll be quite a lot for most games, but will I still be stuck at a low level for Half-Life 2? Also, what difference will memory really make? The choice is, obviously, between 128 and 256, the price difference is huge. Will the upgrade of my system RAM help any? I have been looking at benchmarks and comparisons, and most deal with the very very new cards, treating the ones I am looking at as low-range. £150 is still my aim.

Ok ok. I had that Geforce 4 MX440 with AGP 8x and I now have a 6600gt. All I have say is that you should indeed get the 6600gt. I have a similar system only with a 2400+, and it still blows me away! I can get high quality in Doom 3 without a hitch. I really can't say much abiut HL2 though because I get that infamous stuttering problem, but trust me. It is an awesome buy. It took me really long to decide on the 6600gt because I was also contemplating the 9800 pro. From what I gather the 6600gt is slightly better than a 9800pro but the 6600gt should last longer with all the next-gen capatability.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I got the BFG 6600gt which comes overclocked (525mhz core 1050mhz memory, as opposed to 500mhz core 900mhz memory)

ATI is as reliable as NVidia. Only reason to choose NVidia over ATI is in the case you're running Linux (better driver support).

In short for the *other* 99%:

They're even.

But a 6600GT is the best bang for the buck right now. Much recommended over a 9800 Pro purely based on performance.

Query for Dumb Dude

Thanks for your help Dumb Dude. I noticed in the stuttering poll thread that your game started stuttering after you got your 6600GT. It gives me second thoughts. Are you not very disappointed?

Sorry to double post. I've ordered my 6600GT. Fingers crossed I'll be happy with it - it's a lot of money to shell out on something like that - for me, anyhoo! If the stuttering thing happens, I'll be devestated - but I know I can rely on you good people to help. Thank you.

Find all of what? And olistead I am going to get a 6600GT soon so tell me how it works out when you get it.

Not sure this helps, but a 6800 GT gets good ratings from me (and a 6600 is not that far off)

olistead said:
Thanks for your help Dumb Dude. I noticed in the stuttering poll thread that your game started stuttering after you got your 6600GT. It gives me second thoughts. Are you not very disappointed?

Don't worry about it. I'm sure it has to do with something else because this problem is very random occuring. By the way, you made a great decision and I hope you enjoy your 6600gt as much as I do. :thumbs:

And the stuttering isn't too much of a problem because I had already beat HL2, plus I don't get stutter in HL2: DM or in Counter Strike Source. They all run amazing! I run Counter Strike in 16:9 aspect ratio on the highest resolution with everything high, 4x AA and 4x AF and I get little to no lag in a full 32 people server when the action gets crazy. Even then, I think its because of my 2400+ (or it could be that I'm running it with uneccesary settings), so you should be fine.

Just curious, which manufacturer (sp?) did you go with? BFG, XFX, eVGA?

I have my card now, it's proper sweet! The water looks like water! Nowhere else is that sentence acceptable :). I got an XFX one, I don't really know manufacturers at that level - ATI and nVidia, yes, but below them... It's working fine, but I'm trying to find the optimum settings. My specs are as above, and I use a 17" CRT monitor. What resolution, and AA etc settings do you reckon I should try. I'm only at Sandtraps at the mo, I play slowly, so I want the performance to last the game! Cheers for any help.

Back