gravity gun

Shodan

Tank
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the gravity gun thing would not be in the final game because it seems as though it is just to show of the graphics and physics capabilitys.:borg:

What about for picking Soldiers and lobbing them about.? That sort of thing. So ye i think it would be in the Final. Bloody better be anyways i need my daily dose of matress lobbing.!

They would not hires skin and model a gun they don't intend on adding to the game I bet they have a load of other stuff on their plate to do plus the gun even has two firing modes so i'm betting/hoping it will be in and :cheers: to that

Someone told me it wouldn't be in.

And someone on HL2 IRC last night was talking about making one for the actual game, they didn't say why though, but why make something that's already in it?

Anyone got any info on this?

I personally think it should be in either in multiplayer or in singleplayer accessable by cheats (only after you've finished the game of course.. well, if it's in there, im gonna try it out on the G-Man the first chance I get :E, oh, how long have I waited to drop matresses on his head and dunk him in and out of water? :E :E)

lol, dunking people in and out of water...good idea!, very good idea! lol I gotta give that a go on Sept 30th

u gotta think though that if u did grab a guy wuts to stop him from shooting while your wonderin wut horrible thing to do to him...and i thought it would be a lil easy it it were in and less challengin if it were in...we just dont know though..hate being general public.

No i think the gravity is a cool innovation, without it the game wouldnt be so much fun

off course it will be in the final...but im not that sure if they will have it in multiplayer...

Originally posted by KiNG
u gotta think though that if u did grab a guy wuts to stop him from shooting while your wonderin wut horrible thing to do to him...and i thought it would be a lil easy it it were in and less challengin if it were in...we just dont know though..hate being general public.

You could maybe use the alt fire to pick him up by the foot them sling him into a wall.

too cool if you can pick up living people in the game.

Originally posted by Yakuza
You could maybe use the alt fire to pick him up by the foot them sling him into a wall.

too cool if you can pick up living people in the game.

mmm.... bloood.... *droools*

Ya, definately there wont be gravity gun in MP..its just too overrated and overpowered

Originally posted by xXSMGXx
Ya, definately there wont be gravity gun in MP..its just too overrated and overpowered

They might, it would probably be less-powerful though, ie. You can't pick up other players living bodies, and you are limited as to what you can throw at them.

Of course, it might not be in the official Multiplayer maps, since it might be too much of a strain on computers with bad connections. But it would be cool if they left it in for multiplayer for unofficial maps made for people with fast connections.

lol what if it is left in....one person picks someone up, then the person picks up the person who just picked them up....

Lol i would just pick up a car and throw it at people in MP, lolz !

This may seem stupid, but any idea what the alt fire does?

I figure you fire on something and hold the primary fire button, then let go to shoot them.

They show in the tech demo that the gun can pick something up then set it down. I'm pretty sure shooting the object (like the radiator) is the alt fire.
If you don't believe me watch the first 5 min's of the gamespy video, or video #1 on gamespot I think.

You're right, I just didn't think about that *Is ashamed*

I think my way would have been better *Sticks nose in the air* Then you could have alt-fire do something neat like be a percolater.

Originally posted by KiNG

ya like.. G-man can throw his breif case at ya! or kick your ass with chinese kungfu...

I would definately expect it to be in the final game. Why leave it out? And I'd say it'd be in multiplayer too. Why is it 'overpowered'? It might be more powerful than other guns sure, in the same way the shotgun is better than the pistol :)

It looks like it probably doesn't have a very long range so you'd have to be reasonably close to someone to try and pick them up (if this is indeed possible - picking a live player up).

Should be fun :bounce:

The best way to limit it's effectivness is to make it use up it's ammo fast. In any case I don't see how it's any more dangerous than say, the rocket launcher.

I'm sure it will be in both the single and multiplayer game, it's too cool to leave out.

The gravity gun should be in the final. Maybe there'll be mission, which you really need to use it.

Oh and about dunking people in and out of water with the gravity gun... It would be intresting to pick someone up and kill them by drowning them. I wonder if bubbles would rise from the water from them breathing. OMFG, I CAN'T WAIT :bounce:

my theory is that with the gravity gun you will only be able to pick up certain object which have a cretain mass and wieght, as each object in hl2 has its own mass and weight propertys.

e.g. i'd say you could pick up that cooker in the gamespy vid at the heaviest, but then only be able to lift it so far into the air without the gravity gun losing conrtol and dropping it, and not being able to throw it far with alt fire.

if this was the case then i could see it in mp

I'm sure the distance you can throw the object will be dependant on its mass and the balistics involved (i.e. what angle you toss it at). However, in the strider video, Gordy was able to toss that cabinet pretty far and nearly straight up. I assume the manipulator will run off battery power (which might regenerate slowly over time). I wonder if the mass you can lift and the distance you can throw it will be dependant on the power you have available. For example, with 200 units of power you might be able to throw a chair 50 feet, throw a metal crate 10 feet, or shove a small car 2 feet along the ground.

Originally posted by Noj
I'm sure it will be in both the single and multiplayer game, it's too cool to leave out.
it'll be difficult to send packets to other players when it comes to multiplayer. Although they said that the physics side of the game has it's own server (i'm confused about this :eek: )

devoxove,

My understanding is that the physics will be rendered idependanty on the client's computer if its something that no one else can see. If you pick up a crate and throw it at someone, the physics computations will only be processed by your computer (and the comp of your victims and any witnesses).

...of course I could be entirely wrong on this.

It definitely won't be a super-powerful weapon... ever notice how close he got to something before it let him pick it up? Also picking up live bodies would be hard as there'd be nothing stopping them shooting you anyway, and you'd only get them one at a time.

Also I think it'll most likely be a recharge weapon like the Hive Hand.

I think the gun is limited to ofcourse a battery pack, and secondly the fact that you can actually only pick up stuff that gordon also could without the gun i.e. picking up a dead/living body or a car aint gonna happen. as for the throwing stuff I think its also limited to for 1 the amount of energy in your battery pack and the amount of time you load up power to throw it the more you load the more power it will cost you. and if they do leave the gun out im gonna jump of a bridge :x

The gravity gun will be in singleplayer. He talked about it in that interview on gamespot. You pick it up using left click and you can throw it using right click.

Originally posted by dagz
The gravity gun will be in singleplayer. He talked about it in that interview on gamespot. You pick it up using left click and you can throw it using right click.

Thanks Dagz! Just what we needed to know, :E

Back