Guild Wars 2

Can't send my info... maybe flooded/ddos

:[

edit: got registered, fingers crossed.

Can anyone tell me why a player who was disappointed in the first GW might enjoy this one?

There are so many differences.
Combat is much more fluid. Attacking/casting can be done while moving. Instead of a skill bar of 8 selected skills you get now get 10 skills. Half of them are determined by what weapon you use and the other half can be chosen to augment your play style. It's much easier to jump in and play effectively.
I have run into tons of people in GW1 that had horrible skill bars because they just threw random stuff on there. So less time with skill/build theory and more action based combat.

Persistent world. So you run into people out and about in the game world and not just in outposts.

Giant world server vs server pvp. You get 3 servers fighting against each other with support upwards of 700 people from each server.

I sunk a lot of time into Guild Wars and I don't find it fun to play anymore. What I've listed(persistent world, action combat, WvW PvP) are the things that excite me the most about Guild Wars 2 that are improvements over the first.

Did anyone get a confirmation email yet?

Note I'm not asking if you were accepted. That's against the NDA.

I got the the email confirming that I registered, yeah.

Game sounds promising, thanks for the information folks. I enjoyed GW--but found it a bit "floaty" and really disliked the lack of a truly open world. This looks great.

I still haven't received a confirmation. However when I tried to re-register, it said my email address have already been used. I have faith that I'm in the system.

Since people keep bringing up Guild Wars (and I'm too lazy to make a thread that nobody will read), I would really like a few of us to play together. I've been craving some PvP.

Got my confirmation like a day late, they're definitely backlogged.

Different editions of the game announced. You can purchase from April 10th.

Digital Edition ($59.99)
- Guild Wars 2 game
Digital Deluxe ($79.99)
- Guild Wars 2 game
- Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill
- Rytlock Miniature
- Golem Banker
- Chalice of Glory
- Tome of Influence
Collectors Edition ($149.99)
- Guild Wars 2 game
- Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill
- Rytlock Miniature
- Golem Banker
- Chalice of Glory
- Tome of Influence
- 10-inch figurine of Rytlock
- 112 page Making of Guild Wars 2 book
- Custom Art Frame
- Art Portfolio and Five Art Prints
- Best of Guild Wars 2 Soundtrack CD
All 3 pre-purchases will also grant you:
- Access to all Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Events
- Three days of headstart access
- Hero’s Band
dx80A.jpg

https://buy.guildwars2.com/
https://buy.guildwars2.com/collectors-edition

A bit disappointed that the digital deluxe has 3 one time use items. For $20 extra it would have been nice to have more than 2 permanent additions.
I'm excited all the same though as the time for me to finally play GW2 is getting close!

One-use bonus items are usually all but useless in MMOs. Like that scroll of experience in Warhammer Online that debuffed whenever you went into a loading screen. Whoops, were you queued for PvP? Sucks to be you, gone forever.

Haha ^

I'll probably just use those items right away to get them out of my inventory, it's the physical stuff that I want really.

Hoping the release isn't too far away now that we can start pre-ordering soon!

I wouldn't mind the $150 version if those prints turn out to be one of a kind.

Starts at $59.99? Seems audacious, but I guess that's the norm now... and there's no sub.

How do they stand to be profitable? Full price content every 6 months?

They have the in-game store which sells items for real money. These will all be cosmetic items they say. I guess they will bring out expansions too, like Eye of the North in GW1.

Somewhat tempted to pre-order when I can to make sure I get in the Beta, like the idea of a truly high quality MMO where there isn't any monthly sub. Mainly because I know I would likely just play it like a single-player RPG ¬_¬

I hope people realize that this game isn't going to live up to its hype. It's being hailed as some kind of god-game of messianic proportions bound to change the definition of what it is to game with others online.

I'm not at all indicating that it won't be a success... but I'm amazed at the hype.

Guild Wars 2 is just living up to it's promises.

There's a lot of GW2 fanatics who blow up over the smallest bit of misinformation and hype every last detail, but Arena.net has given us a lot of good reasons to believe that Guild Wars 2 will deliver the experience they want to create.
During the beta weekend there were people who got to play who said that 'you should believe the hype.'

There are still a few things in that game that I would like to see improved, but from all the gameplay videos that I have watched it's clear to me that GW2 truly does stand in a place to change how people look at and play MMOs.

You don't have to play it if you don't want to.

Yes I do. There's a guy who hangs out at my room with a shotgun who presses it to my temple when I so much as suggest I won't buy and play the game. I think it's some kind of new ad campaign.

Man, they're getting really aggressive with that subliminal advertising stuff.

Yeah it's subtle as hell, I hardly notice his prickly beard and damp breath on my neck when I discuss anything Guild Wars related.

Starts at $59.99? Seems audacious, but I guess that's the norm now... and there's no sub.

How do they stand to be profitable? Full price content every 6 months?
It's a shame. There are so few games that start at $50. We pay more for games now, but is the quality worth $10 more?

Closed Beta invitations are being sent out. From the Guild Wars 2 Facebook page:

"Yes, beta invitations have begun going out. They'll be sent out over the next few days. Please remember that discussing the beta in any way, shape, or form -- including your status in it -- is a breach of NDA. Don't risk your beta access!

Hmm, what email did I use to register for this beta?

EDIT: Naturally, if any of you get in, I expect you to tell us all! :D

Confused about Microtransactions? They're really simple:
  1. Players purchase gems with money.
  2. Gems can be used to buy "cash shop" items or be sold to other players for gold.
  3. Players can now buy gems with gold.
  4. Go back to step 2.
No where in this process can players sell gems for money. It works like EVE Online's PLEX system but instead of game time, it's cash shop items. The only debate should be if the cash shop items allow a Pay 2 Win system. Hopefully Arenanet won't pull a LotRO and get greedy/desperate.

We're left with the following questions:
  • How important is gold in the game? Are high level items purchased solely through karma?
  • How will cash items like experience boosters effect the game?
    • WvW is a concern since you're not boosted to level 80 and even if you were side-kicked up levels, you still have to unlock traits, etc.
    • PvE isn't a concern since players who earn exp quicker will just end up skipping content, will be auto-leveled in lower level areas, and there is no "big rush" to end game content as found in other MMOs.
    • Structured PvP isn't a concerned because everyone is level 80 (or whatever).

Cash shop items have been leaked.

Note, everything in there is probably subject to change. They're going to test the cash shop in this weekends beta. No, I'm not in it. Not breaking any NDAs. Etc.

Not sure what to think about all the microtransaction stuff. I would probably be okay with it if the game was free, but we are still paying the $60+ price tag. I guess it's the trade off for not paying a monthly fee, but that model is dying off anyways.

A list of retailers that will offer pre-purchase of Guild Wars 2 has been started.

Steam isn't offering. We lose.

GameSpot so far is the only one providing CE in NA. I guess I have no choice but to give those assholes my business.

Steam didn't carry the original Guild Wars until about a year ago I believe. I think it will have it eventually.

NCsoft has their own method of digital distribution. I wasn't going to be buying it through Steam either way and I'd rather just give Arena.net as much of the money from the purchase as possible so I'm buying direct!

I can hardly wait to be playing the beta in April!

I wouldn't buy another digital MMO, I don't want to have to worry about downloading it in the future, especially when it reaches a massive size.

I went to a GameStop. They only had a single end cap of what looked like a clearance section (at full retail price of course!) of PC games. They did have Guild Wars The Complete Collection though and I was amused. However, when I inquired about Guild Wars 2 coming out and I was concerned that GameSpot wasn't going to have it, the girl looked at me like she didn't know what I was talking about or cared. It's retail stores that are killing off the PC gaming market.

Anyways, I'm concerned that I won't get my hands on the CE and hope that more stores are added to that list. If I am unable to find one, I'm just getting the digital edition directly. Not worried about having a disk, you'll have to download the game for the beta weekends anyways.

Bump.

Guild Wars 2 CE is now on the GameStop's website. Preorder for prepurchase. Lol no. I'll take my chances and prepurchase properly when Anet wants us to.

There is another beta coming up this weekend... debating on purchasing now, since I will probably buy the game anyways.

Can I get some impressions of the beta?

The first beta weekend and the one-day stress test I played mostly PvP and wasn't really all that impressed. It wasn't bad... just not, um, finished.

The structured PvP capture-point maps aren't very good - they're confusing as hell to navigate and they're just all-around cluttered. Rounds are also very short, often one-sided, and have a large range of possible participants (from 2v2 to 8v8). This is the mode where you're not only bumped up to level 80, but have all of the end-game gear equipped as well.

The open World vs. World, where you're only bumped up to level 80 stats (no extra skills or equipment), wasn't all that much better. It's mainly a big zerg-fest where you use a ranged weapon and spam area-of-effect abilities. However, you do gain experience and can pick up some items here and there (you compete for the rights to loot the body with everyone that hits the player that dies I think) so as far as low-level PvP in an MMO goes, I guess it's pretty good. It's still a horribly slow way to level and upgrade equipment at present, though. Higher level battles may see more strategy as people can afford to purchase all the siege weapons and the like more often.

This past weekend I decided to focus on PvE only. My impressions here are far more positive. Now, I couldn't play more than 10 minutes of Guild Wars 1 PvE without wanting to kill myself (I stuck to PvP characters and the arena), but I am already a huge fan of the second game's PvE. I got to level 21 on a Charr warrior starting fresh over the weekend. It's a very relaxing, chill experience. Seeing another player isn't a an "oh **** there's competition for my mobs and objectives" moment as both are shared automatically without grouping. Lots of experience is awarded for just exploring "points of interest", finding waypoints, gathering resource nodes, completing skill challenges, completing "hearts" (typical-type mmo quest objectives for an area, only no need to go to a quest-giver to know the objectives - they just pop up in the corner), and participating in the dynamic events that pop up here and there. There's also your "personal story" that usually has you in an instanced area by yourself. Well, you can invite others to come in and help you if you want. The only problem I ran into is having to go to other races' areas to keep up in level - I couldn't keep up just sticking to my own without wandering around looking to do events that I'd already done before. It ended up being fun just wandering around the different cities and and starter zones and still being significantly rewarded for it, though. Your level is automatically adjusted down so you can still participate in any lower-level content that you passed over previously without totally obliterating it and making it boring for everyone else.

The second weekend also had a lot of changes from the first, including some in PvP that I didn't get to try out, and they all seemed like they were for the better, so I like the direction the game is going. I'm not talking about little changes either, but big ones to character progression, skill balance, UI, etc. I look forward to being able to play again!

I'm stunned that this is made by the same company that made Guild Wars, which I regretted buying after leveling one character to their cap. I've already invested more time into GW2.

Unless they have guesting available in the next beta weekend event, we should all transfer to the same server. And by we, I mean you. Come to Sorrow's Furnace. <3

My character name on there is Atomus Scintilla if you wish to friend me.

Back