Guild Wars 2

Yes, the server transfers are usually free for the first day. Then you use your free Gem purchase to afford the rest. I'd suggest doing it when it's free though, so you can play around with the cash shoppe.

The same reason WoW, ToR, Tera and several other AAA MMOs aren't. They have their own method of delivering digital content and want to keep it separate and consolidated from the milieu of other competition and distractions existing on the Steam platform.

Forget what I said earlier about server transfers and free gems. According to the recent blog post all characters will be wiped and the gem store will be live. Not sure if they're going to let you change your home server for free this time around. Hopefully guesting (playing on a friend's server) actually works this time.

Edit:
World transfer will be free and unlimited from Noon July 20 to 6:00 PM Pacific on July 21. After this period, you’ll need to spend gems for a transfer. Transfers will still be unlimited.

From this forum post.

So, yeah, I pretty much just played this all weekend... My life is going to end come release xD

Did anyone else play? What did you all think?

I played mostly PvE on a Ranger, loving the class so I will definitely be rolling one. I only played as a Human really, want to save the other races for release.

I managed to do a bit of WvWvW but it's still pretty much a zerg rush. Though some of the other teams did get some good flanking attacks organised against us. It was pretty epic to think we'd just defended our fort, killing off the last few survivors, only to turn around and see 50 people running at us!

Great fun. Cannot. Wait.

that's my beef with the game besides the fact that they advertised better questing but you feed cows and burn douse hay stacks :|

there's always like 400 models between players and npcs crowding the screen and no challenge really. the progression model doesn't seem that satisfying yet either. I'm not convinced on it. I don't like the character art except the Stich guys and Charr

I was busy playing too much of The Secret World (amazing)

But I managed to squeeze a little GW2 in. I mostly wanted to see the character creation and environments, which are both great. (A giant Cheetah with Satan's horns, a musket, and a steam punk eyepatch? **** yes that is what I will be playing, thank you very much) I didn't get a chance to delve too much into the questing, but it felt fairly standard for as far as I got... but there is something less.... grindy (?) about the game that I can't really figure out.

I didn't get a chance to delve too much into the questing, but it felt fairly standard for as far as I got... but there is something less.... grindy (?) about the game that I can't really figure out.

The quest hubs truly feel like you're helping out someone, and yourself. The way that the area consists of multiple ways of gathering reputation with the heart's holder really innovates 'grinding'. Instead of specific parameters that you must abide by, it's just you engaging in an area. Also the events that are seemingly always happening gives an extra happiness to game play. Jump into the fray where hitting a small creature (engaged by tens of your allies) once will benefit yourself (and them) towards completing the objectives is brilliant. The 'grind' is seem-less and easy, giving you plenty of options to go about leveling up.

Another great difference to GW1 is the weapon specific skills. Early leveling is just too much fun, swapping out weapons as you go and finding a perfect balance with the two builds you can have. The only flaw I see with this game is when leveling with friends. You can choose different paths when creating your character, making you do double, even three times to work to stick as a group. I'm not too sure how long it takes for the game to share paths with no matter what character, but it seemed like I was doing completely different main-quest lines to my brethren.

Oh, I love platforming. How I do love platforming.

Naph pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Every zone has a few areas with Renown Hearts placed at them. These are static areas where you can complete certain objects (kill the spiders, break their eggs, help with the local farm duties etc...) and doing enough to help out fills the heart and the person who needed help will offer to sell you items. Elsewhere in the world players can run into a dynamic event (eg. stop the bandits poisoning the local water supply) which will actually be happening, you can see bandits pouring in poison into the water supply. Sometimes these overlap with the renown hearts (eg, killing drakes and smashing their eggs in the area may cause a larger boss drake to appear, and the massive fight that happens all helps to filling the heart).

So, yeah, it doesn't feel grindy at all. Me and my friend just picked a direction and explored, we encountered lots to do on the way, often getting sidetracked when we noticed something nearby. It's pretty awesome that as soon as an event starts up, people seem to come and help and it feels awesome seeing some backup arrive from over a hill. I used to hate it in WoW when I saw other players, now I love it.

The PvP is also awesome. I didn't play the structured PvP (5v5 and I think you can do 8v8) but I did play the WvWvW mode which was awesome. An enemy world owned a fort on our map (it's split into 4 huge maps, one for each team and a neutral area) and about 50 of us worked pretty hard to take it back and the surrounding supply camps. After we'd took it and rebuilt it's defenses about 100 of the enemy came back to try and reclaim it. It was awesome :D

But I had a great time in it. If you know the story from GW1 or you played and enjoyed GW1 you'll love GW2.

Arenanet has posted The Final Countdown and the official server list for launch. A midnight release is a little strange, since they've been starting every BWE at noon. However, I think it's the best compromise with the rest of the world.

Release Dates and Times
  • Pre-purchase: August 25th at Midnight PDT (GMT - 7:00). (The servers will probably start going online earlier.)
  • Pre-order: August 27th at Midnight PDT (GMT - 7:00)
  • Neither: August 28th at Midnight PDT (GMT - 7:00)
I'm pretty sure I'll try to join Sorrow's Furnace. I enjoyed running that "elite" area for the title and again for the Black Moa Chick mini-pet. I always imagined fighting a mobile boss after seeing the smaller, half-constructed versions of The Iron Forgeman in Oola's Lab. Can't wait to see what Sorrow's Embrace has to offer!

What servers are you guys playing and why? Server choice really only affects WvW. I guess I'll have to take that into consideration if I get seriously into it.
US Worlds
  • Anvil Rock
  • Borlis Pass
  • Yak’s Bend
  • Henge of Denravi
  • Maguuma
  • Sorrow’s Furnace
  • Gate of Madness
  • Jade Quarry
  • Fort Aspenwood
  • Ehmry Bay
  • Stormbluff Isle
  • Darkhaven
  • Sanctum of Rall
  • Crystal Desert
  • Isle of Janthir
  • Sea of Sorrows
  • Tarnished Coast
  • Northern Shiverpeaks
  • Blackgate
  • Ferguson’s Crossing
  • Dragonbrand
EU Worlds
  • Fissure of Woe
  • Desolation
  • Gandara
  • Blacktide
  • Ring of Fire
  • Underworld
  • Far Shiverpeaks
  • Whiteside Ridge
  • Ruins of Surmia
  • Seafarer’s Rest
  • Vabbi
  • Piken Square
  • Aurora Glade
  • Gunnar’s Hold
  • Jade Sea [FR]
  • Fort Ranik [FR]
  • Augury Rock [FR]
  • Vizunah Square [FR]
  • Kodash [DE]
  • Riverside [DE]
  • Elona Reach [DE]
  • Abaddon’s Mouth [DE]
  • Drakkar Lake [DE]
  • Baruch Bay [ES]

I'm heading to Desolation. 7AM is a great start time for me, get to play all day :)

I asked them not to put it in. I don't want to play with you.

Just pre-purchased the box version with the serial key. I'm SO excited.

I've played WoW since January 2007 until last year (with occasional breaks) and nowadays I don't like the game. Guild Wars 2 seems to be exactly the MMO for me. Can't wait.

Can't believe this is coming out this Saturday, pretty excited.
Unfortunately the first three-five days will probably involve me creating, deleting, and recreating characters over and over again : p

Still haven't picked on a class to focus on, but it's between Engie, Ranger, Necro, and Mesmer. Mesmer seems like a heck of a learning curve though.

This is what beta's and stress tests were for.

Yeah I've played a fair bit in the beta etc and it doesn't feel "grindy" at all. I think it is great that people get down levelled too when going to an earlier area. So if a friend of mine is behind it won't be so boring for me to go back. You can't just go back and one shot everything.

Complete lore summery of the original Guild Wars Prophacies with pretty fan art:

All of his other Guild Wars 1 & 2 related lore videos can be found here.

I listened to these at work and even I've missed a few things after over 1300 hours of playtime on the first GW.

3 days. Can't wait!

The Guild Wars 2 online manual is up.

Even though some of us played the closed beta and ruined the story a bit for ourselves. Perhaps we should start spoiling in-game lore related stuffs or major events for a bit?

From WoodenPotatoes' video about Ebonhawk, it looks like the next big expansion will probably involve heading towards the Crystal Desert and into Elona.

I just bought this and will be playing on Darkhaven with my housemate. I didn't play the first, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Decided to pre-order, hopefully there are oceanic servers.

Cannot wait to shoot lasers out of my long sword.

Irritating that it is releasing at 2AM instead of 12AM though.

I'll be on EU Seafarer's Rest with a guild from /vg/. They're very friendly and helpful people. I'm incredibly excited. This game seems to fix every problem I had with WoW.

And the launch time is pretty good for Finland. Officially the head start begins 10 a.m. tomorrow, but as Arenanet said they'll be opening the servers 3 hours early to smoothen up the launch.

Cannot wait to shoot lasers out of my long sword.

Irritating that it is releasing at 2AM instead of 12AM though.

They're launching "when they're ready". Last I heard they were shooting for 12AM (est), but we'll see what actually happens.

Decided to pre-order, hopefully there are oceanic servers.

Probably not. I would like to hope they would add more servers if the demand is there, instead of forcing all non-UK players onto the US servers.

Also, I just got three more points add to my Hall of Monuments thanks to a generous donation by a forum member. <3

What a fantastic game. I'm so excited, finally an MMO that I actually want to play after years and years of WoW.

Combat is extremely fun and the questing system is fantastic. It feels like a natural flow to run from one task to another and do them with large groups of people working together.

CORRADO.1095
Isle of Janthir (NA)

let's all post up our names and servers in preparation for "server guesting" (inviting people from other servers to party and quest with you)

AtomicSpark.8926
Sorrow's Furnace (NA)

Protip: Right click on contact and select Set Nickname if the person's Guild Wars 2 account nickname isn't familiar. I have a problem with remembering names, so being able to set a nickname is a very helpful feature.

Beck.6520 (Desolation EU)

Just unlocked my elite skill and crafted some sick weapons. Gonna go to my first dungeon tomorrow. Loving this game. Some beautiful locations and the combat is really enjoyable.

Can somebody confirm if 1st person camera is implemented yet pls?

It isn't implemented yet.

Did the first dungeon today and it was pretty damn tough. Pleasant surprise since I thought they were going to be easy. Apparently the explorable mode is harder too! :D

Level 38 now, played way too much over the weekend. Back to my real life tomorrow :(

Well that's a shame. I played Guild Wars for close to 5 months solid after it came out, and around 70% of that was exploring zoomed right into 1st person. The immersion that allowed was spectacular. Beats me why they wouldn't carry it through to this one, but hey ho. I'll hold off til it's implemented before buying then.

*scampers back to dayz* wheeeee

What's with the install time with this game? I'm installing from the disc and I'm looking at a good couple of hours to install.

Back