half life 2 AND zombie master interface problem.

MCG144

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had half life 1 and 2 for ages on my computer and have had virtually no problems with it.
then when I saw that it was only 10 bucks on steam, I purchased it so I could get cool little game mods for it (such as zombie master).
but there's a problem with both half life 2 and zombie master...
in half life 2 and zombie master, the text box buttons always show up blank!
it's retarded. it's not completely stopping me from playing half life 2 because I already know where and what all the buttons do, but when I hit pause, THERE'S NO PAUSE SCREEN, there's just the cursor, and I'm having the same problem in zombie master, but 10 fold because I can't even play it!
there are no buttons what so ever. there is one way to play it though and that is to have a friend invite you in the server he's in.
even then, the text boxes and the pause menu show up blank! because zombie master is a mod of half life 2, I'm assuming they have the same problem (and hopefully the same solution).

I'm running windows 7 premium if that's a factor btw.

yahoo answers is no help at all

here's some screen captures of the problem in half life 2. if anyone needs anymore, just tell me.

thanks in advance :afro:

This often solves a variety of problems with any game on Steam: Open Steam, right click on the game in question and click properties. Then go to the local files tab and click "Verify the integrity of game cache."

If you have any missing or corrupted files this should find and redownload them for you. If the problem persists try checking out the official Steam Support website. Link.

Windows 7 might be a factor but something far more useful to know would be your hardware specifications.

I've already done that file check thing and contacted steam... they're taking 40 years to reply and the one time they did, it was a robot... all well I'll figure it out eventually...:sleep:

Hey there, are you playing on a Mac by any chance? I've heard of this issue only once before.

It's usually due to the GUI font being missing, that being the tahoma font the menus use. If you install this font it should fix your problem. Let us know how you get on.

p.s. You need to place the font file (.ttf) in your X:Windows/Fonts folder

oh God no, I hate macs! if I had a mac, I wouldn't get to play the mods in the first place!

anyway, steam is finally replying to my emails and they're assuming it's a font issue too, but it's different... I'll update you on the situation.

I'm sticking by my theory...well I will until proven otherwise :p Let us know how you get on.

Back