Half-Life 2: Delayed until April 2004

S

sPaG

First off, I want to say...

Thanks a lot to whoever hacked in to valve and stole 1/3 of their source code... not even all of it... it's practically useless with some bits of good information... and now the game is going to be delayed until 2004. ****ing worthless morons. I hope you got what you wanted?

Please note, this is uncomfirmed by Valve (or Gabe) directly, but it has been made clear by Vivendi that this is going to occur. And you know what folks? I believe them this time. Let's not forget how many times Valve told us that the release date was September 30th, until days before "launch". For months, Vivendi was saying the game was delayed. Even if Gabe came out and said, "No, we are releasing for the Holidays" I still wont believe him if Vivendi states otherwise.

Here is the official statement on CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/technology/vivendi_code.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Weird, the article on the register quotes them as saying that it will contribute to the 2004 results. They don't specify the quarter. If VU actually stated a the name of the month then why didn't the register, who are normally fanatical for accuracy, include it in their byline? Who is missquoting do you think?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33260.html

It has definately become clear that hl2 wont be released before april 2004. Internally, valve is in a panic right now. After some time to recover and increase security they will have to rollback a little and continue developing...

Surely the most sensible thing for Valve to do is release the game as soon as possible, then patch it as and when they can?
With the "Anonymous Leaker" claiming far more than just a barely playable beta in his posession, but actually the pre-gold master itself, it would be unthinkable to have a fully playable version available for download while the actual game sits 6 months away.

Yes, people may be able to learn things from the Source code available online, cheats may be attempted, hacks may be attempted, but no amount of damage control can change that now. To make fans wait so much longer for Valve's own negligence of security is not good business sense.

If the full game becomes available online (and that Hacker bloke is claiming it will be by tonight) then 100% happy with it or not, Valve should release it. To not do so will anger more of their fans, many of whom are no doubt already pondering downloading it themselves.

The sad thing about all this is that it's mainly the so-called fans that are ****ing everything up by spreading false or unverified information, bashing Valve based on, well, nothing at all, as well as downloading the leaked content.

Originally posted by deepcore
The sad thing about all this is that it's mainly the so-called fans that are ****ing everything up by spreading false or unverified information, bashing Valve based on, well, nothing at all, as well as downloading the leaked content.

Correct.

Back