Half-Life 2 Demo

Will People stop downloading the beta if a demo was released?

• Hell ya! :D

Votes: 148 68.2%
  • A demo? I want the whole thing!

Votes: 36 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 15.2%

• Total voters
I bet him and his pa are taking out shotguns to kill the leaker... :sniper:

We need a smiley of a smiling Gabe, anyone agree?

Call me crazy, but I don't want to see a tiny little square of Gabe leering at me.

I will call you crazy :p I want to see a 4 eyed guy laughing at me! I could look at bill gates but... :|

...Gabe is cooler... hes worked at microsoft AND made a hit game!

No it would not stop people, as people are dumb, and people will think the beta is better then the demo cus its the full game..

Allthough yes alot of people who also just get the demo...

But there will be no demo so it matters little.

ph34r t3h cute said:
No it would not stop people, as people are dumb, and people will think the beta is better then the demo cus its the full game..

Allthough yes alot of people who also just get the demo...

But there will be no demo so it matters little.

The beta is'nt the full game, it's most of it, but not all of it. But we all get your point...

wasnt there some kind of sig restriction... like one Pitt-Bull is breaking? hmm?

Demo, shit they cant even post a new screenshot..

Valve is hopeless, none the less ill still buy the game ..

yes.....at least post a quarter of screenshot or somethin....i mean..look at other games....stalker....far cry....stalker website has a story... far cry releases a video every month and screenshots like everyday...

Pauly said:
far cry releases a video every month and screenshots like everyday...
Don't you think you're overexagerating it a bit? :naughty:

Whether he's overexaggerating or not, Valve hasn't been quite generous with videos , the last shit they released was that HDR DX9 video , and that was in like early sept. I mean, release anything ! an awesome wallpaper ? a video of gordon, alyx, eli and G-Man wishing merry x-mas? That would be kinda cool! :D A video should be something though, just anything except a small concept art thingie and a single new screenshot and I'm satisfied way above usual and everyone will start drooling over HL2 again...

Pitt-Bull said:
Do you think if Valve would release a demo, people will COMPLETELY stop downloading the ilegal beta?

this game is gona end up like Black and White. No demo and realy shitty. all for the love of money.

chewysplace said:
this game is gona end up like Black and White. No demo and realy shitty. all for the love of money.
How do you know there will be no Uplink-type demo after the game is released? And what makes you think that the game itself will be shitty?

Fused: think of it. when they program a game they program for efficiency. optimal efficiency. so when teh code was taken, they had to alter it. which means opotimal efficiency isnt there AS MUCH anymore. hence, shitty. and according to their original release date back in Oct, they didnt have a demo of anykind before that was supposed to go out.

chewysplace said:
Fused: think of it. when they program a game they program for efficiency. optimal efficiency. so when teh code was taken, they had to alter it. which means opotimal efficiency isnt there AS MUCH anymore. hence, shitty. and according to their original release date back in Oct, they didnt have a demo of anykind before that was supposed to go out.
So not having optimal efficiency makes something shitty? It can't be good even if it's just a little bit inefficient in places? What about story? What about the feel of the game? What about pretty much everything else?
And how do you know that they haven't found a way to optimise the code even more now? That would be neat, wouldn't it? :smoking:

Fused: you have no idea how bad it could make it. with what their trying to push through this game, and through steam they need much efficiency. no questions asked.
after 5 years and about to release it most likely it would have been at its upmost efficiency.

chewysplace said:
after 5 years and about to release it most likely it would have been at its upmost efficiency.
Don't be so sure, advances are made all the time :)

CrazyHarij said:
Whether he's overexaggerating or not, Valve hasn't been quite generous with videos , the last shit they released was that HDR DX9 video , and that was in like early sept. I mean, release anything ! an awesome wallpaper ? a video of gordon, alyx, eli and G-Man wishing merry x-mas? That would be kinda cool! :D A video should be something though, just anything except a small concept art thingie and a single new screenshot and I'm satisfied way above usual and everyone will start drooling over HL2 again...

videos released for HL2: 10 includeing some of the tech videos, but not the E3 bootlegged footage or interviews
Doom3: 3
FarCry: 4
Stalker: 4

Those figures may not be exactly correct but even with a large margin of error valve have been the most forthcomeing with videos compared to the other developers.

Maybe if we all pitch in five bucks, they'll give us a demo. Eh? :cheers:

Maybe, but it would just get delayed, or stolen.

There won't be a demo, simply because Valve don't want to ruin anything. When I play the game I want it to feel original. I don't wanna start playing it and think "Oh yeah, that feels like I've been playing it for 6 months already"

Also if they do what they did with HL1 and release that Uplink demo, and it's a completely new storyline, or part of the original storyline that was cut then it'll be great: For people that have already got the game, and for people that are interested.

Chris_D said:
There won't be a demo, simply because Valve don't want to ruin anything. When I play the game I want it to feel original. I don't wanna start playing it and think "Oh yeah, that feels like I've been playing it for 6 months already"

Also if they do what they did with HL1 and release that Uplink demo, and it's a completely new storyline, or part of the original storyline that was cut then it'll be great: For people that have already got the game, and for people that are interested.
A few seem to be doing that since uplink, which is great. JK: Outcast did it didn't they? Then made it available later so you could run the demo mission (which was quite enjoyable) in the full game.

I don't think the demo mission was submitted officially for the full game. I reckon someone just cracked it for retail use.
Other than that, I hear ya ;-). I'd appreciate a demo without any story/mapping content from the original game much more than if they just took out some gamelevel.
I already played the two call of duty demos which means I have completed a good portion of the allied campaign.

The Uplink part does fit into the HL storyline somewhere. I can't exactly remember where, but obviously it'd be hard to tell as Valve would have edited the game in such away to make it seamless.

I'm almost certain I've read this in an interview or article.

hmm... I would be happy if they just dropped a demo with some aliens in a room just to see how long u could survive :sniper:

Champ: I've played both CoD demo's, and indeed it's a rather big portion of the Allied campaign, but after all, CoD isn't that big a game. I haven't finished it yet, due to my exams coming up soon, but I will, and I think even though the game is quite short, it's definately worth it's money, because of multiplayer and mods.

On-topic: I agree with Chris_D, I don't want a demo, only a benchmark tool to see if I need to upgrade my computer (which I probably will do anyway, but hey). VALVe doesn't do a demo or release any more screenshots because they want to keep the game a surprise.

Yes, why play a pieced together pile of crap when you can play a nice crisp demo.

He@t! said:
Demo wont happen Prior to release of the full..end of story
Exactly... Well thats what Gabe said back in October, but times have changed so I wouldn't be surprised if it came anyways. But ppl will still want the beta.

Stupid thread. If there was an official demo released, WHICH WON'T HAPPEN, why would anybody even want the Beta? 75% of all the stuff in it either doesn't work or isn't completed... where the shit is the fun in that?

The Beta has barly no scripting involved, so all you see is people with gun and they don't even move. Even if you shoot them till they die, the demo will have an experience involved...

A demo would be nice, especially if it is in the same mold as Uplink. I doubt that all of Valves staff have been concentrating their efforts on reworking the game code, so it isn't unfeasible that the modellers etc haven't been utilizing the delay to create a demo of some sort or another (I doubt gabe pays them to sit around on their asses all day twiddling their thumbs).

Pitt-Bull said:
Do you think if Valve would release a demo, people will COMPLETELY stop downloading the ilegal beta?

There will still be morons who are not aware if a demo would be relased anyway and it will never happen so...

Back