Half Life 2 Etching

LibDem

Reaction score
QgzpHh.jpg

Made this by (selectively) applying Hydrofluoric acid on a very thin piece of stainless steel metal. The front has the Half Life 2 logo, and the back has the Half Life lambda.

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/3NK6s#QgzpH

Holy crap did you use actual hydrofluoric acid or some derivative of that?
Because if you get hydrofluoric acid on your skin at all, it will absorb in and start eating up your bones and there is no way to treat it. That stuff is very very very toxic. So hopefully you got the stuff that comes in a bottle at craft/hardware stores, and didn't steal actual HF out of a chem lab.

On topic, glass etching is cool. Maybe sharper/straighter lines would be nice, but otherwise, not bad. Better than the lambda twig at least.

[edit] oops wikipedia says it's tissue damage and it can be treatable. still man, be careful. wear super heavy-duty gloves.

Yeah it might have been a combination of HF and some other chemicals (this was a while ago, I don't really remember) because this was made in a class, not on my own time.

Ah cool, good to hear. Sounds like a pretty awesome class.

That's really cool, but damn. My old next door neighbor was a chemistry professor something, and screwed up his hands with that so bad that he couldn't play the piano anymore (and gave me his book of Beethoven sonatas lol). Be careful around that stuff!

Hey guys, all strong acids are dangerous. Hydrofluoric is not any worse than the others.

Make sure you don't get that etched piece near citric acid, though, or say goodbye to your artwork.

Well I like that the edges aren't perfectly straight & sharp. It gives it a rougher and more natural look.

Also, I remember using HF Acid when I was in school. We only used it for mixing chemicals for reactions, though, not making neat scorch-art shit.

Looks fantastic, but don't burn your hands off and reduce them to nothingness. Otherwise you'll be typing with your feet.

Hey guys, all strong acids are dangerous. Hydrofluoric is not any worse than the others.

Hydrofluoric acid is technically a weak acid. And despite that, it actually is considered more dangerous because it absorbs into your skin, causing interior tissue damage over extended periods of time. This also makes it more difficult to realize how bad you screwed up because you feel fine for a while. Whereas hydrochloric or sulfuric acid would just cause immediate exterior skin burns. HF is one of those chemicals people try to avoid using in labs if at all possible. Just like you would try to avoid using cyanide gas if at all possible. Hydrochloric and sulfuric are really not that big a deal. Another way to think of it is that for most other acids, touching it is not as bad as drinking it. But if you touch HF you might as well have drank it because it's already in you, man, it's in you.

e.g. click on Module I. HF gets its own special consideration blurb. I guess sulfuric does too, but only if you're heating it. The gist is that HF has super-special killing properties that other acids don't have.

I guess I should concede though that if you were to say, take a swim in a pool of any strong acid or HF, then in that scenario HF wouldn't be any worse because all of those would result in death :p.

Back