Half-Life 2 Media/Steam 2/FilePlanet

S

Stewart

I've had enough of all this Steam2, Fileplanet and Valve confusion... everybody's arguing whether the Fileplanet Subscriber exclusive Steam is any different from the one we all have already. I personally like Fileplanet/Gamespy, and don't think they'd have an "exclusive" that is the same as the version we all have had for quite a while, and besides that, my Steam seems to have been very quite since last night... with zero activity.

Has anybody actually seen the video/media that Steam 2 from Fileplanet allows you to have? If so, what's it like? I'm curious to know what the rest of us can expect next week Monday when it's released publicly.

.... If you read the " no videos to day folk " or " new info about the hl2 vids " OR " emails from valve ( no discussion ) " or another thread ..... >>>

Thew movies will be out on Monday... The movies will be the same as we have already seen, but with better graphics and better sound...

Fileplanet's Steam is nothing new.. Same old stuff as we have.

No more discussion ;(. This was answered in the other thread. They're steam is nothing new.

I'm sad that it's nothing new, because this steam is buggy as hell. Too few options for one thing. But then it tries to connect to the internet as soon as my computer starts up long before I even have the chance to log into dialup. Then, when it inevitably can't find a server to connect to, it crashes. And once this happens, from then on it declares that "only one copy of steam can run at once" even though the old copy crashed and isn't on the task list anymore. So I have to reboot again and...

I also don't think it has any idea where my HL directory is. What good is that? It's going to download counterstrike... and then what? Install a whole new copy of Half life on my computer instead of updating the one I have? WTH?

You can fix the startup by typing msconfig in Start -> run. Then going to startup and unchecking Steam. Yes it installs a new copy, I think cause there is too much to overwrite that it might as well install a new copy. Plus to keep Steam separated. Also, Erik said new videos will come after the old videos are released.

I HAVE been reading all the other posts, but everyone just goes in circles... nobody has actually says : "YES. I have got the new content because I have the new Steam from Fileplanet." or "I have the Fileplanet version, but no new media has been downloaded yet..."

Gabe said that on the Monday just passed the media content would be released via steam, and Fileplanet grabbed the exclusive... and then Gabe also said that on next Monday it will be available to everyone.

Am I missing something here?

Oh my God, dude, believe us. It is not Fileplanet exclusive. I may be making an assumption, but I'm 100% sure it's right. There is no special Steam from fileplanet, and even someone on here who HAS a FP subscription told us it's nothing different.

geeK says: Do you know why Fileplanet is announcing Steam 2.0 for their Subscribers, when the most people already have Steam.

Erik Johnson says: We gave them the go-ahead on it. We haven't "officially" released it just yet.

There is your bloody information.

So why is the top headline on all half life and cs sites "Extra Extra, fileplanet release steam 2.0 client to subscribers shocker!" when it is nothing new? Seems strange. They are making out that steam is only available to paying subscribers of fileplanet and fileshack when it can be downloaded for free from other sites.

Originally posted by [sl@yer]
So why is the top headline on all half life and cs sites "Extra Extra, fileplanet release steam 2.0 client to subscribers shocker!" when it is nothing new? Seems strange. They are making out that steam is only available to paying subscribers of fileplanet and fileshack when it can be downloaded for free from other sites.

Marketing

Originally posted by Apos
I'm sad that it's nothing new, because this steam is buggy as hell. Too few options for one thing. But then it tries to connect to the internet as soon as my computer starts up long before I even have the chance to log into dialup. Then, when it inevitably can't find a server to connect to, it crashes. And once this happens, from then on it declares that "only one copy of steam can run at once" even though the old copy crashed and isn't on the task list anymore. So I have to reboot again and...

I also don't think it has any idea where my HL directory is. What good is that? It's going to download counterstrike... and then what? Install a whole new copy of Half life on my computer instead of updating the one I have? WTH?

Guy...keywords are DIALUP. VALVE recomends that you dont even ever use steam if you are on dialup..NEVER!

STEAM downloads new versions of all games..thats the point of steam..To download games

STEAM 2.0 from fileplanet is now on the p2p app Bittorrent..

Now people will see the light and know it's the same thing! Thanks for the info shock

just to make sure im installing it now..steam is updating as we speak. It says on the install 2.0 beta so...

Only difference i see is that i can install OF now it seems since i get no errors downloading it

If you have dialup, don't bother with Steam. It's for Broadband ONLY. It isn't supposed to update your current games and doesn't care what your HL directory is.

FilePlanet subscribers get nothing different from everyone else that already has Steam. So please stop asking.

Fkinhell Shockwave, out of 7 posts here 6 were yours. Cant you start using the EDIT button, it makes threads tidier and easier to read. - Semi-rant over.

I dont rate the steam beta too highly. Its the basic things, the program itself doesnt even terminate properly 60% of the time. The content delivery has come on leaps and bounds i think. Its heading in the right direction.

Ill still prefer my CS1.6 to be a normal version as apposed to playing it through steam.

EDIT: At least there is a lot of work going into CS1.6 and the Steam beta.

[-] 7.02.03 - beta (coming soon)

Changes/Additions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bots now buy armor more often.
Added "BOT" to the scoreboard for players who are bots on the server.
Added option to settings to enable/disable auto launching steam on windows start.
Steam icon now turns red instead of spinning when updating.
Reworked UI for Steam updating to look more like the rest of the UI.
Reduced entity count in Aztec to improve server performance.
Improved Bot navigation on Aztec.
Improved Bot navigation on Airstrip.
Bug Fixes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed bug where radar would disappear during gameplay. AT LAST!!!
Fixed bug where tactical shield wasn't removed during a round restart.
Fixed friends and serverbrowser settings not being saved correctly if edited in-game.
Fixed a bug where Steam wouldn't shutdown properly in some situations. Must have heard me :p
Fixed bug where sounds weren't played properly when using Friends.
Fixed bug where progress bar would only show the first file you're downloading from a game server.
Fixed bug in keyboard settings list where you could scroll selection bar off the visible page using the arrow keys.
Fixed bug where the first mouse click wouldn't work after exiting the UI.
Fixed bug where the scoreboard would be incorrect when users were connecting.
Fixed bug where the M4A1 silencer animation wouldn't play the sound at the correct time.

no new video?? someone said that you get to see the video where you are on the beach with the antlions.... ugh if its the same old same old..... well at least it is better quality :dork:

Back