Half-Life 2 Physics Test Level HERE

simmo

Tank
Reaction score
Sorry for getting you all excited but its for HL1...hehe
hl_053003_1.jpg

Download it here

Tell me if its anygood, since I dont even have HL installed...lol

Is it any good ?, is it worth installing HL 1 to play this thing ?

lol, well done whoever made this.

It just shows how restricted the HL engine actually is!

Does it work or is it just a level without anything to do? I'm not at my regular computer so I cant play Half-Life.....Thnx simmo2k3, you're a real bud!

:bounce: (remeber)

dunno d00d, I havent tried it, I dont have HL installed :(, could someone tell us if you can acctually DO something in the level ?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

d00d

Originally posted by simmo2k3
dunno d00d, I havent tried it, I dont have HL installed :(, could someone tell us if you can acctually DO something in the level ?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

d00d I'll be home l8r today so I'll send you a mail if I can get it to work l8r tonight!

:bounce:

Well, this map seems to be intended as a joke at first thought, but as you actually play it, it's just to prove a point. That point being that you can do the same thing in Half-Life 1 as Half-Life 2.

The only real differences demonstrated were that obviously, the movement of various objects had to actually be scripted into the HL1 map, whilst the physics engine of HL2 does the same exact thing on its own, while being more realistic, more variable and all without a bunch of extra effort used for scripting.

Very basically, it's a really keen and convenient move by Valve in making their own engine, making the process of building a series of highly detailed maps much easier for themselves, as well as their clients who license the engine and for the mapping/modding community. By designing the Source engine to handle basic physics operations in a highly realistic way, it gives mappers and modders much more time to think about the atmosphere and detail of their maps, rather than worrying about the scripts that make their maps come alive: object/NPC movement and physical properties and making them look as streamlined as possible. (and the relations between the two) Valve took the same kind of approach to NPC behavior and its past downfalls: smooth animations, realistic behavior, the NPCs' abilities to "reason," and emotional expression. They worked to streamline and simplify that as well, building it right into the Source engine.

Woo. Dunno where the feck I'm going with this... but all I gotta say is, I have an immense amount of respect and appreciation for the dudes at Valve. o.o'
(And geez... the way I write versus the way I "talk" makes me seem pretty schizophrenic... heh!)

your right on, rizor, the point of this level is to show the MAJOR differences between engines. its actually a very well done map. lol for anyone who has played it, after you kill the first soldier with the swinging wood, wait untill the other soldier puts his hands in the air, then shoot the wooden base above him... lol its great!

If you shoot the wooden plank (with the computer on top of it) just before the soldier gets underneth it, it should land on top of him but not kill him.

Another bug:

Bugz

Anyone that has a link without those horrible ques?

:bounce:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and it looks like I'll be kicking off the event with the worlds most ignorant question: how do I play the physics demo...once ive downloaded it and moved it to the sierra/halflife/valve/maps directory. Thanks in advance :)

Load up Half-Life go to the console and type

map hl2_techdemo and press enter

or start up hl and go to multiplayer then hit create game, then select the map techdemo

thanks alot u guys....again sorry for being such an idiot. After reading through some of the threads, it's nice to get the feeling that I'm joining a community that is looking forward to HL2 as much as I am :).

Not even CLOSE to the HL2 demo, but fun none the less. The physics are laughable, barrels don't roll/tumble, they just drop. Explosions look like total garbage, and the water is like some crayon drawing. Props to the designer, good idea. Fun, but it really shows the age of the HL engine.

I put it into my cs map folder and it played fine. I never played against anyone though. I joined ct and bought stuff so it works on cs. It gets boring though.

I'v got big problem : I enter HL with the console command , I load the map , but when I try to shoot the game exits and returns for the desktop . I tried to load other maps that on my maps dir (MP maps) , and when I take a weapon and try to shoot the game exits once again.

The wierd part is that if I load a custome game , and load a saved game , and then load the techdemo map , I can shoot , but the map is messed up , the lighting is incorrect ( I think it took the lighting from the custome game I loaded).

Can you help me??, please.

Sounds like a bug in your game, Tamer. You got v1110 installed? Past that I'd just suggest a reinstall... but for this map? I wouldn't bother :)

Hey thanks for the props, I noticed this on PHL but I didn't realise it was intended as a SP level, I've been playing without the soldiers :D

It's funny tho, you shoot the swinging bar and it still goes "OH SHIT!" but there's no one there :dozey:

some of the things in that map where quite impressive imo anyway :D (For HL1 that is hehe)

I have something real cool. To better recreate the HL2 tech demo, you can download the Surprise mod (yes, it's called Surprise). http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/57112.shtml

It's server side and... there's one cool weapon, like the manipulator you see in HL2. Not the one with the blue beam, the one you pick items up with. You can try taking up stuffs and then lauching it around. There bound to be some cool shit you can come up with. And there's an alt fire which does the opposite, pumps some sort of energy out and blow things away.

You can use that to push away incoming rockets. :D

Ya, play it online with a few buddies, start sucking them and throwing them around, then drop the machines down on em. :D

edit: One more thing I must add, the level is very impressive. Honestly, I have yet to see any terrain deformation anywhere in any HL maps.

Originally posted by \\-shanE
I have something real cool. To better recreate the HL2 tech demo, you can download the Surprise mod (yes, it's called Surprise). http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/57112.shtml

It's server side and... there's one cool weapon, like the manipulator you see in HL2. Not the one with the blue beam, the one you pick items up with. You can try taking up stuffs and then lauching it around. There bound to be some cool shit you can come up with. And there's an alt fire which does the opposite, pumps some sort of energy out and blow things away.

You can use that to push away incoming rockets. :D

Ya, play it online with a few buddies, start sucking them and throwing them around, then drop the machines down on em. :D

edit: One more thing I must add, the level is very impressive. Honestly, I have yet to see any terrain deformation anywhere in any HL maps.

NIIICCCEEEE !!! THANKS MATE ! :afro: :cheers:

I am the creator.

Sorry if it bugs people to bring an old post back to top, but Im the creator of the hl2_techdemo map, and would like to say thanks for playing my map, im glad you all enjoyed it. I just joined these forums a few days ago, else I would have replyed in here sooner. :)

About the bug with the grunt who holds up the mainframe, I purposfully left that in when I found it, I nearly fell on the floor laughing when I caught it in a test run, especialy when he says, "Is that all you got?!" Then a day after PlanetHalfLife.com posted the news about my map, to my surprise on the POTD is a snapshot of the bug I left in, I bursted out laughing and everyone around me in my room couldnt understand what was so funny! My thanks goes out to whoever posted the screenshot!

Cheers
:thumbs:

yeh you did a really nice job there!
now if only someone (maybe you) could do this for UT2003 and see how that compares.... ;-)

Thanks!

Sorry but I don't have UT2k3, I really don't like the game that much. :\

Back