Half-Life 2: Random Map Creator

R

rApT0r

Hi! My first post here! :)

Ever thought of playing new maps all the time? I have...

I've been tinkering with an idea i got a year ago. I like mapping so I thought about a random map creator for Half-Life 2. After several months of intense coding, i finaly got done with my application. It's called Half-Life 2 Random Map creator and "generates" maps for HL2SP. I have also thought about using it for other mods as well like the upcoming SvenCoop Source etc.

If you want to check it out, read manuals, news etc, go here:
http://home.tiscali.se/hxpro/rmgnews.htm

Note: It's a beta, so it could be unstable. Report ANY bugs to me with attached log files -> [email protected] <- (Spambots, keep away from my e-mail..grrr :flame:)

Some very light technical details: HL2rmc uses "rooms" and "sectors", connects them on a line. There is ONLY 11 rooms availible at this time so you're most likly to recognize youreself after a while! You also need Half-Life 2 and Steam to run it!

Other notes:
I'm the only developer of this application and i am in NO way related to the valve or its crew.

Feedback, in any form (suggestions, comments, flames... etc) are highly appreciated! Plz reply!

/Happy Gaming

I'm reading your website, so you've basically made a mod for SDK which allows us to make basic SP maps for HL2 SP, by altering a few options? Is that correct? If i am this sounds extremely awesome.

This sounds almost too good to be true! Must try it!

Holy crap! Does this work? Perhaps a couple screenshots showing one of the floorplans it creates (by noclipping up out of the level)? This idea has always intrigued me, like playing the X cup in F-Zero X for N64. Cool idea!

Hectic Glenn said:
I'm reading your website, so you've basically made a mod for SDK which allows us to make basic SP maps for HL2 SP, by altering a few options? Is that correct? If i am this sounds extremely awesome.

Heh! Tnx, but it's not technicaly a "mod" since it's not installed into the internal steam system but since it can use it, i guess you could call it that. :sniper:

I was concerned as to why it was trying to install something into my Startup...can you explain what that was for? I blocked it anyway. You should specify during installation if something is going to be added to the user's startup.

That is all.

czrsink said:
I was concerned as to why it was trying to install something into my Startup...can you explain what that was for? I blocked it anyway. You should specify during installation if something is going to be added to the user's startup.

That is all.

Did you mean in the start menu?
Oh, that was only shortcuts, there's no need to be worried. I can promise you that this isn't spy/adware if that's where you're heading. :thumbs:
If you or anyone else experience any other installation problems, tell me!

Unless it was just coincidence, but I got an alert saying an unknown application was trying to add itself to my Startup. I'll try again and get a grab - also, I'm experiencing this error message:

Attachments

• error.gif
    error.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,227
Yeah, that message could appear sometimes. It means that the map it was currently building crossed the maximum boudries. The chances of this to happen increases with your map size! I've made some protection so that happens very rarely.
Just restart the process, it doesn't take that long.

You'll have to live with that to the next version :)

"Unknown process" lol, those anti-stuff programs is great at producing frightning messages. :p

Hmm, re-installing didn't give me the blocked app warning this time.

As i said, that happen sometimes. Think of it as it's making a drawing of a maze and suddenly, it starts drawing at the table becuse it's entire drawing didn't fit. So it askes you if it can get a blank paper and start drawing something that (hopefully!) fits!

I just got the same error message, im not happy. Apart from lowering the room size which i dont want to do, how to i make the map 'bigger' so this error stops?

This is not an "error", and it occours in 1 of 3 cases where the map is larger than 25 rooms. Just click okay until it succeds. I will make the the limits harder and the restart automatic in the next version.
Until then, you will have to click "ok". I know its difficult but you'll have to. :p

After that error i get a crash, 4 times a in row, had to restart my pc once. You coulda sorted out the one big bug in it before release is this like literally programmed 2 mins ago? Im getting frustrated soon to give up.

4 times?! That's bad :eek:, i've tested it on this machine and others, fully operational so this isn't a bug. But as i mentioned this IS a beta so i really shouldn't be suprised.
No, it took 4 months to code and there is no need to be frustrated, just describe more carfully what happens and when, then i might be able to tell you why.

The program stops responding after the message comes up that the maps not big enough, after i click ok. Takes ridiculously long to stop loading from the closing then another program started in my windows task manager which i couldnt stop. I dont know whats going on with this thing!

Change your account password.

I'm gonna call BS on this program, no one can get it to work and it seems like it wants you to log into your steam account.

If anybody can prove me wrong I will glady retract my statements.

I remember the map generator for HL1. THAT was fun.

Hope this is too.

I repeat this now, i want to make it clear that THIS APPLICATION is not: a virus, a "key stealer", and it DOES NOT contain adware or spyware. BUT it IS the SECOND BETA I'VE RELEASED, and is therefore unstable. It doesn't "log on" to your steam account, even though it sais so. It only needs you to specify your account folder so it can find the compilers "steamapps/<username>/sourcesdk/bin/[vbsp vvis vrad].exe

The bug Hetic Glenn is describing might come from the fact that the steam file system isn't always the same on all computers. I will commence some heavy bugtesting now, and release an updated version today or tomorrow.

Also if you have a firewall or any bandwith limiter etc, you should be able to see that it's not even connected to the internet. There is absolutly no chance whatsoever that i could "pass" any login information <that i don't have access to> to a remote server etc...

When I run the program, it says "Error occured when creating map. Following error message was returned: Looks like you havn't got Steam installed. You need steam to run hl2rmc!

wtf? I think it's because Valve for some stupid reason decided to install Steam to valve/steam instead of just /steam somewhere along the way, and I have that new install directory.

Please help :( :( :(

Ben, don't be such an idiot. Not trying to start anything, but you honestly are being pretty dumb to accuse such a thing.

How am I?

No one has got this to work yet? No one has seen a screenshot of any finished map, Theese kind of scams have been tried before, i'm just going to reserve judgement untill someone gets this to work and dosent have their steam account suddenly dissapear.

Also raptor, theres a registery key for all steam applications that you could use.

I will answer any reported errors with PM's containing some questinons for me to be able of helping you.

Ben:
Tnx for the tips, but i am already using the registry to find the steam paths. That's what so scary about his bug :(
I don't demand you to beleve me if my word is simply not enough for you. You can download a preview level from my download section if you don't dare testing my application:
http://home.tiscali.se/hxpro/download.htm
Note: This map is made by HL2rmc 0.9.11 so doors is turning like 500 degrees when you open em'.

Edit: I could also point you to a forum where my map was tested and got some really good critics. The problem is that the site is in swedish and i don't want to flood the forum with unuseful links, since i bet the administrators want their users to stay here.

vegeta: looks like your inbox is full so i cant PM you, here's the message:

vegeta897 said:
When I run the program, it says "Error occured when creating map. Following error message was returned: Looks like you havn't got Steam installed. You need steam to run hl2rmc!

wtf? I think it's because Valve for some stupid reason decided to install Steam to valve/steam instead of just /steam somewhere along the way, and I have that new install directory.

Please help :( :( :(

Sure, i'll be glad to help you :D
If you have steam installed, this is a serius problem since there shouldn't matter where you've installed steam, cuz HL2rmc finds the steam path in the registry... :/

Follow theese steps:
1. Start "run" from the start menu
2. Enter "regedit" and click ok
3. Now, go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Valve/Steam/" in the folders menu (you might have to collapse some folders in the tree to see the root folders)
4. Check the "installpath" key that you will find there, does it match your steam install path?

If no souch folder or key existed, PM me instantaniusly! Thanks, you can blame me for all the errors, i'm trying my best here :)

Raptor, I love you! It worked!

You sure know your stuff!

NOT TRYING TO FLAME ANYONE, but don't accuse someone of hacking or wanting to spread a virus.. whatever, unless you have solid proof.

Raptor seems to just want to share his program with the halflife2.net commnunity, he has provided a link to his website and he is not forcing you to install it anyway.

If you think this is a virus or some other malicious program, then please talk to the moderators and let them deal with it.

Rafa

Edit: ok that part works now, but i'm getting the same problems as Glenn

this sounds interesting. so what kind of maps could we expect to be generated? will there be physics objects and enemies?

I'm getting this error over and over even though there are only 5 rooms. Is there a fix for it?

I get the Unable to create map. The path lead out of bounds error EVERY single time. Everyone seems to be getting this same error. The program is definetly not working correctly.

rApT0r, if you haven't already, submit your creation to the VERC-Collective. There it will get the respect it deserves and judgement based upon knowledge rather than petty frustrations.

Give it a try at: http://collective.valve-erc.com/

Chris Bokitch(from VALVe Software) runs the site, so you know you are in good hands.

xrdanielalan said:
rApT0r, if you haven't already, submit your creation to the VERC-Collective. There it will get the respect it deserves and judgement based upon knowledge rather than petty frustrations.

Give it a try at: http://collective.valve-erc.com/

Chris Bokitch(from VALVe Software) runs the site, so you know you are in good hands.

I would strongly recommend that path of action.
If it is broken you will get a lot of help there.

Yep, getting that out of bounds error over here :(

I'm unable to even open up the main GUI. It asks me to choose which steam folder to use (account name) and I choose my HL2 one, click Ok/Start and it flashes the main screen, then goes back to choose a folder. Any solutions?

This sounds pretty interesting, can't wait to see where it leads, gj so far!

I'm giving you a second chance, this better work! If i crash i'm gonna hunt you down and pin you to your program with a crossbow bolt...

edit: i got quite far this time, the map was nearly made then it stopped responding, and crashed, i had two hl2rmc things in my task manager. No error but it didnt work still

Heh, mine just keeps doing the path out of bounds thing again. I notice how you don't get the pop-up message anymore, it does it in the progress bar.

Still it's been running for 10 minutes and has yet to get past the first room and that's on an 8 room map :(

Back