Half-Life 2: Random Map Creator

I'm still getting the out of bounds error, except it doesn't display the message box anymore. It just says something about out of bounds in the status bar and automatically restarts only to get the error again.

~SkilledNewbie

Oh and it's still a running process even after you've quit, which means it's not shutting down properly. Sorry mate - did you run it by VERC?

I can't beleve your having so much trouble with the out of bounds error. I just made a map, and it only happend one time.

I say this again: ITS NOT AN ERROR, since it's expected to happen sometimes.

I now that the process doesn't shut down, but it's not doing anything. I will probably fix that in the next version.

Didn't any of you made it to compile or did you get out of bounds x100 times?

Well, I tried it myself just now. Let it roll for 10 minuts straight trying to compile map but kept getting out of bounds error over and over. Which then it continued to create craploads of log files.

I even tried different map settings (radom 3 different times). Same result D:

-Alix

"Well, I tried it myself just now. Let it roll for 10 minuts straight trying to compile map but kept getting out of bounds error over and over. Which then it continued to create craploads of log files."

Yep, same here. I even tried it on the minimum number of rooms, but I still got the "out of bounds" non-error pseudo-warning message when it first started processing the first room and again each time after it auto-restarted until I pressed abort.

Also, the process remains in the task manager even after you close it down. You might want to look into that.

Here's my system info in case it helps narrow down the problem:
Windows XP SP2
AMD FX-53 processor
ATI X800 Pro modded to XT PE
1024MB PC3200 RAM

~SkilledNewbie

rApT0r said:
I can't beleve your having so much trouble with the out of bounds error. I just made a map, and it only happend one time.

I say this again: ITS NOT AN ERROR, since it's expected to happen sometimes.

I now that the process doesn't shut down, but it's not doing anything. I will probably fix that in the next version.

Didn't any of you made it to compile or did you get out of bounds x100 times?

rApT0r, you would get much better feedback(diagnostically speaking) if you posted this over at the VERC-Collective. There you can freely discuss code specifics without worrying about someone stealing your ideas. It's a dedicated site run by VALVe's very own Chris 'autolycus' Bokitch.

What are you waiting for, check them out: http://collective.valve-erc.com/

give this guy a break. he only tried making the game better for people. im sure after a couple of bug tests it will work properly.

Out of bounds error... perhaps your proggram needs something that it isn't installing?

EC said:
I'm unable to even open up the main GUI. It asks me to choose which steam folder to use (account name) and I choose my HL2 one, click Ok/Start and it flashes the main screen, then goes back to choose a folder. Any solutions?
Same problem :(

(After getting the new version)

EDIT:

I closed it, started up Steam, then started up the program and it worked!! (Choosing profile)

Now to try and generate a map... Wish me luck...

I got that opening problem fixed, but I too am getting an out-of-bounds error every time.
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
GeForce FX5900
1024MB DDR Ram

This is looking cool; download SDK right now to give it a try.
---time passes---
Hm. Started it up, it selected my steam account and said that I don't ave either hl2 or the sdk installed, which I do. :mad: fix this! I want to try it ou!

jmjneary said:
will you ever put this into like hl2 dm or css?

Yeah, i've thought about using it for MP games. If there will ever be a sven coop : source, it would defenetly make a version for it. The problem in MP games is the map distribution, and as everybody knows, loading a new map takes a LONG time, if you dont use the sv_downloadurl.

By the way, did it work for you? :D

I downloaded the new version, and it still goes out of bounds like a mother. As someone said earlier, are you sure that you don't have a piece of software on your computer that you are forgetting to put with the installer? I'm sure that a lot of us would like for this program to work, because it sounds awesome.

same problem just it says "out of bounds" when it is creating the rooms instead of a pop-up

EDIT: What langauge did you make thsi in? Do we need certain run time variables or enviroment variables set or anything?

I have tried many different settings and never gotten past the first room. I dont understand how the first room could be out of bounds unless the bounds are too small for 1 room or there is no inbounds area. Has anyone gotten past the first room?

Also, when i hit the abort button it freezes and wont close. i then have to restart my PC.

I hope rApTOr can fix this becasue im looking foward to getting it to work.

I"m still having the same problem where it can't see my hl2 and sdk installations. Can you add a button to ignore their 'absence' and try to use them anyway, since it can't detect them?

[edit] hmm, this might help: When trying to start the hl2rmc sdk, I get this error: "Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Just downloaded the new version - am going to let it run in the background for a bit and see what happens. I think the point about a missing file is valid though - it's odd how it works perfectly for you but not for any of us, there has to be something on your PC that is making it work that we are all missing.

I have tested it on my computer and it worked. I just recently tested it on another computer and got the "flash by bug", witch i now have fixed. So it now runs excelent on both computers :/

I am well aware of the really strange "not getting by the first room and then hangs" bug, and i am currently trying my best to fix it. I can assure you that i'm not sleeping over here.

The missing file: It's could most likley be a missing dll file messing it up for you. I will check on that too, look out for a new release today or tomorrow!

I'm really sorry for the problems you're having, big thanks to everyone who have tested it and send feedback!

Keep trying mate, we all really want this to work.

Good luck with the next release!

I am having errors with "Path out of bounds" also.
Good luck on it, this program sounds sweet.

-Edit
I'm looking forward to working on a few rooms...

can anyone who got it to work post a screenshot?

yeah i see the problem with multiplayer maps it would be cool though maybe it could be a server tool and you could like type admin_makemap_random and specify like a dust type level or other i could imagin how hard it was to make the origional and how annoying downloading a new map every map change

The program idea sounds great, just to bad it doesn't work for other people yet.

Would you want us to post up the logs it's throwing out when it gets the out of bounds errors? I glanced at it and didn't see any warning or error messages, but maybe there's something in there that could help you.

I too cannot get past the 1st room w/ the same problem as everyone else.

(EDIT: I just want to point out that my copy doesn't freeze. All it does is start over again in a perpetual loop.)

Although I found a fix for the error: "Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" when you try and open the RMG SDK.

Go here and follow the directions.

Well at least we can now create new rooms with the SDK :cheers:

It works perfectly fine for me, had a fun time killing zombies :)

Great program :thumbs:

I'm Gunan say welldone on actually writing a program to generate maps:)

have u set a shed load of variables soit doenst just like randomly put barrels in the middle of rooms ands stuff?

Not having any luck this end. Have left it running trying to make a 5 room maze, constant out of bounds messages. Great idea though, glad it's working for some :)

kalayq said:
I too cannot get past the 1st room w/ the same problem as everyone else.

(EDIT: I just want to point out that my copy doesn't freeze. All it does is start over again in a perpetual loop.)

Although I found a fix for the error: "Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" when you try and open the RMG SDK.

Go here and follow the directions.

Well at least we can now create new rooms with the SDK :cheers:

Thanks for the link! That would solve the problems ppl have been experiencing with the dll file.

BTW, i have fixed the out of bounds error (might be the same bug as freeze on first room)!!!!!
I will release some more details about the bugfix and A NEW VERSION in a couple of minutes! :eek:

EC said:
I downloaded the new version, and it still goes out of bounds like a mother. As someone said earlier, are you sure that you don't have a piece of software on your computer that you are forgetting to put with the installer? I'm sure that a lot of us would like for this program to work, because it sounds awesome.
Why have you and some others got the same custom title?

Are you all gay together? :p

LMAO, I've been watching this thread and was wondering what was going on with the program. Who'd have bloody thought it eh? Swedish computers are fundamentally different to other ones :eek: .
I'm going to have a go and see if I can get it to work now the problem sounds as though its cleared up.
:cheers:

Works great.
Although how do you give a high priority to the map compile?

Raptor, do you think you could give us an estimate of how long it takes for you to compile a 30 room map with your CPU? That way I can get an idea of how long this will take.

Back