Half-Life 2: Random Map Creator

Yeah yeah, it works now! :D

Man, this is fun. One question though: when will you put up instructions for making our own little map portions?

Mine has trouble compiling... :(

Here's the error message:

"The compiler didn't produce any map so there was *[grammar correction = were]* probably some errors with it. If you want to compile the map manually, (preferably in hammer) the map lies here: Drive(Mine is G):\Program Files\HL2 Random Map Creator\level1.vmf I'm sorry, this error is very unexpected.

EDIT>>I started up the Randmap RDK... and then tried opening the vmf and it came up with error '9' or something.... And then I retried the map compiler...

It's hung up at VIS right now, however, I'm hoping this isn't an error, just the program working... Task manager says

vvis.exe is 99 under CPU.... So it SEEMS to be working...

Yes, that error is likley to happen if you don't run steam at the same time as HL2rmc, i will fix that in a future release! But it could also have other causes, like if the compiler crashes or something!

Okay, cool... I started Steam when I tested it, also, and it acted exactly the same, however the compiler actually begins now, so... That's good...

Now I'm just wondering how long VIS takes... And if I'm just impatient or something's actually wrong...

rApT0r said:
OKAY NEW VERSION OUT!

Go here, download it and check out the news!
http://home.tiscali.se/hxpro/rmgdownload.htm

I have fixed the "out of bounds" and "crash at first room" issue. Now, let me see some good critics :E

Happy gaming! :cheers:

btw how did u fix it???

Oh and I got it to work fine except I have to use hammer to compile but I don't really care... :cool:

RaBiD WeAzEL said:
Now I'm just wondering how long VIS takes... And if I'm just impatient or something's actually wrong...

It takes a long time.

*LONG* time.

Congratulations it worked on my computer in this version! I was playing for a bit with some weird glitches in the map here and there, with alot of deja vu with some of the rooms :p
But generally this is very good, my compiling etc was quick with no error (except it didnt launch HL2 for me, but im capable of that) Good job with getting this thing fixed.

Everything works up to the point of me getting a message "Can't find background image 'materials/console/background01.vtf" Is this my fault or something else?

Someone should take some screens of the random levels this dealy generates. This intrigues me :)

You should have people send in mapchunks that they make to use as templates. From the examples, it shouldn't be that hard to create really randomized and varied levels if they can produce enough content. Maybe a submit section on your site?

Great work Raptor. Got my first map done this morning - only went for 5 rooms and didn't take too long. Didn't compile and launch though, so had to do that manually. That said all seemed to turn out well, except my start room had a locked door, and the wall had unbreakable bricks blocking the way through to the next room!

Still this is a fine piece of work - you really should get onto Valve and get them behind you, superb stuff.

czrsink said:
Great work Raptor. Got my first map done this morning - only went for 5 rooms and didn't take too long. Didn't compile and launch though, so had to do that manually. That said all seemed to turn out well, except my start room had a locked door, and the wall had unbreakable bricks blocking the way through to the next room!

Still this is a fine piece of work - you really should get onto Valve and get them behind you, superb stuff.

Thanks for the good critics! You can actualy smash yourself through the wall to the right of the locked door. This is the only player start room, but i will soon release some more rooms and a new player start! But that player start will require some thinking too :p

You should have people send in mapchunks that they make to use as templates. From the examples, it shouldn't be that hard to create really randomized and varied levels if they can produce enough content. Maybe a submit section on your site?
Yes, if people start making rooms there will soon be hundreds of them. And with only a 50-100 rooms could create an extrordinary ammount of combinations. The time it takes to reach that sum depends on whether i have to do all myself :D It isn't hard to make rooms eather, you just need to have some basic skills. I make an avdrage room in 1.5 hours but i'm pretty good.
The idea of a submit section sounds great and i have thought a about it to. A community for roommakers with forums and submit/distribution would be great. The thing is that ir requires an online database and that requires money...

As i said, keep your eyes out for a new version soon. In a not to distant future, i will make it "level-change" compatible, and that will speed up the compilation progress. That is becouse the time it takes to compile a map is not proportional to it's number of rooms it got. For example, a 14 room map takes about 12 minutes for me, while a 25+ room map takes more than an hour :/

I'd wish to thank everybody else for all the critics and suggestions! :thumbs:

Alternative: place an elaborate tutorial section on the site (what of your customr entities to use to make it compatible) and let them email the .vmf's (when zipped they are really small).

Would it be possible to add some outside areas, maybe randomly generate some terrain - for example?

What I love about this is that I can play about with a map - making it to my tastes etc, rather than have to start a whole new map from scratch - it's a great little app.

#93: Hmm.. like a non automatic but maintainable community. Great idea.

#94: I agree, the outside areas are the best. I have no plans though to make a separate script to randomate terrain for outside areas, that would be a lot of work :/

maybe you could go open source with the project so if you dont feel like doing it someone else can pick up the torch

Maybe you should get a forum at your site? (Sugjestion) I am working on a room right now and will probably be done next week, as long as I'm not to boged down with college crap.

sofar everything works fine, though it wont compile the map, and has me compile it through hammer :cheers:
made a 30 room lvl the other day, took 10 minutes to compile in hammer

would be nice to start adding more rooms for a variety of lvls, sofar is has like 8 rooms and rearanges their order

Program is cool but I think it has some flaws for I adjusted the Alien/Combine Balance bar to Aliens only and all I got in the map were just normal/fast zombies and normal/fast headcrabs not even the poison ones, but I expected to see antlions than the zombies, are you gonna fix that?

Aaarg. The program shows the main gui, but then after a second it says: "Runtime error: 13. Type mismatch." And quits. The earlier version got as far as started compiling but then said "unable to create map" and something I cant remember, but it was not "out of bounds". I even tried extracting the .cab-file manually, but it says "error occured while creating the map" even before I start the compiling.
Sooooo... gj.

AmishSlayer said:
Someone should take some screens of the random levels this dealy generates. This intrigues me :)
I finally took some today, noclipped out of the level and tried to get the whole map. To help you make sense of what you see, there is only one way the map begins, and it always ends with an elevator up to the surface. The levels branch out and terminate at dead ends and there is only one path from start to finish.

http://s88958877.onlinehome.us/misc/level10000.jpg
http://s88958877.onlinehome.us/misc/level10001.jpg

Two complaints about the available pieces though. The first one is that there isn't enough light in any one building block, feels like I'm playing Doom 3 as much as I need the flashlight :p cuz some are all black, but at least the scarce lights make the maps compile faster. The second is that there need to be way more pieces to choose from. You know, make it less likely for duplicate areas to be attached to each other.

All in all it's a kickass idea, and a kickass program. I agree that there should be more outdoor areas. Also, it would be cool if the indoor areas factored in more natural light, which I did notice on occasion. I love how you can set the sun angle for the lighting calculations.

New stuff's up

Hi, all! Sorry for the long silence from me, I've been busy with schoolwork, eating and sleeping :p and i've worked on hl2rmc materials a bit.

I'm happy to announce a NEW SITE!,
so update the link in your favourites/bookmarks to: :E
http://home.tiscali.se/hxpro/hl2rmc/

Go there and get the latest version (0.9.34b), it got major compability bugfixes, TWO NEW ROOMS :rolling: and some small fixes too, read the change log. Don't forget to uninstall any old version of HL2rmc first! If you've made your own rooms or any other user data, they won't get removed in the unstallation.

jmjneary said:
maybe you could go open source with the project so if you dont feel like doing it someone else can pick up the torch
Yes :cheese:, I have plans to release the code. But i'll wait for it a little longer, read more about that on my site.

Bronto said:
Maybe you should get a forum at your site? (Sugjestion) I am working on a room right now and will probably be done next week, as long as I'm not to boged down with college crap.{/quote] Yes, I have plans for that too, as soon as I will get PHP hosting. Then, maybe a little community could form that's intressted in this... it's really fun to hear that you are making a room, good luck! :thumbs: Send the .rgr (and .vmf if you want) zipped to me when you are done, and i'll add it into the next release! (If it's not a hollowed cube with a pink/black colored chessboard texture on it :p)

Ghroth said:
sofar everything works fine, though it wont compile the map, and has me compile it through hammer
made a 30 room lvl the other day, took 10 minutes to compile in hammer

would be nice to start adding more rooms for a variety of lvls, sofar is has like 8 rooms and rearanges their order
Hmm.. there is lot's of people having problems to get the compiler to run through the HL2rmc. That is bad, since I don't just want l33t mappers whom know how to run the compilers to be able to play it. Could you PM me your logs, the compiler parameters should be included there so i can see what's wrong.
Wow! 30 rooms in 10 minutes, not bad! You must be using a 3 gHz or something!
Yes, there is not a huge variety of rooms at the moment... but i hope that will change if a small community develops around this.

Sargeras said:
Program is cool but I think it has some flaws for I adjusted the Alien/Combine Balance bar to Aliens only and all I got in the map were just normal/fast zombies and normal/fast headcrabs not even the poison ones, but I expected to see antlions than the zombies, are you gonna fix that?
Thanks, you can always configure the npcdata.ini yourself if you are unhappy with the monster combinations. It's in the directory where you have installed hl2rmc.
This is how the npcdata.ini is parsed:
Code:
<number of npc's>
--Loop number of npc's--
--<npc class name>
--<npc difficulcy> 0-100 (%)
--<npc type> x=alien c=combine
--<npc extra parameters>
----Loop extra parameters
----<extraparameter> <no. of additional values>
----<additional value 1> <additional value 2> ....

There is a chance that i will change the default configuration in the next release if more people are unhappy.

Cukel said:
Aaarg. The program shows the main gui, but then after a second it says: "Runtime error: 13. Type mismatch." And quits. The earlier version got as far as started compiling but then said "unable to create map" and something I cant remember, but it was not "out of bounds". I even tried extracting the .cab-file manually, but it says "error occured while creating the map" even before I start the compiling.
Sooooo... gj.
Well, happy news for you! This error that you are describing HAS been fixed, it was a compability bug with the decimal system. Make sure you have the latest version (0.9.34b)

MuToiD_MaN said:
I finally took some today, noclipped out of the level and tried to get the whole map. To help you make sense of what you see, there is only one way the map begins, and it always ends with an elevator up to the surface. The levels branch out and terminate at dead ends and there is only one path from start to finish.

http://s88958877.onlinehome.us/misc/level10000.jpg
http://s88958877.onlinehome.us/misc/level10001.jpg

Two complaints about the available pieces though. The first one is that there isn't enough light in any one building block, feels like I'm playing Doom 3 as much as I need the flashlight cuz some are all black, but at least the scarce lights make the maps compile faster. The second is that there need to be way more pieces to choose from. You know, make it less likely for duplicate areas to be attached to each other.

All in all it's a kickass idea, and a kickass program. I agree that there should be more outdoor areas. Also, it would be cool if the indoor areas factored in more natural light, which I did notice on occasion. I love how you can set the sun angle for the lighting calculations.

Wow, nice screenshots, those are a very good example of describing how HL2rmc works. I call the maze generator for "tree maze" since there's only one way from start to end and some branches at diffrent locations. (That can be very usfull to explore, to get more weapons etc) And yes, start and alleys are very boring at the moment as there are only one room availible so HL2rmc hasn't got much to choose from.

LoL, yes the areas got a little too dark, i hope future room makers won't make my mistake there. :D

You got the situation right: IT BADLY NEEDS ROOMS, so anybody with a bit of map skill, start making rooms today. The number of combinations will increase dramaticly for every new room.
Map Combinations = LevelRooms^RoomsAvailible
Yes, I also agree that there should be more outdoor areas, those are the most fun. But it can also be very difficult to make a realistic outdoor area in a 1500x1500 big room though...

I'm glad you enjoyed the application. It will defenetly get better in the future though.

Hope you enjoy the new version as much as I did!

EDIT: Oh, and dont forget to give feedback!

I love this mod/program/thing. my only complaint are too few maps which hopfully can be changed by the community and slow compiling (i doubt there is much that can be done about that short of buying a new computer) i wish i could make rooms but i dont know how. ill try to learn over the summer.

anyway, thanks for this, i hope it develops a community because that would kick ass.

Ive only made a 6 room map so far but the generator worked great for me, just learning to make maps but this will help alot. I am very impressed as I see it didnt work well in the beginning and you stuck with it. More rooms and some tweaks, this kicks arse. Havent seen anything else like it out there. Keep it up if you can.

U should recuit ppl to be on the team...

Haveing just 1 mapper for the rooms isn't enugh

I think you should make a rule that the "rooms" entities that are named need to start with the name of the map, so that you don't get name conflicts. I can see someone accidently triggering an entity that is repeated and getting problems.

Sorry... but I just have to say it:

OMG!!!WOOT!!!a random map generator? :LOL:

I so need to try this

Latest version sees my hl2 install, but it still can't tell that I have the sdk downloaded. <:(

please help. when the program is generated map. gives an error run-time error 13, and the program takes off.

I beg please help. really want to play cards that are created by this program

or at least lay out a working version of the program please

Thank you for earlier

10n02

please write it myself. I can not write it because I have from Russia and I use a translator. If he is alive he will not be able to understand me

I get the Unable to create map. The path lead out of bounds error EVERY single time. Everyone seems to be getting this same error. The program is definetly not working correctly.

Back