Half Life 2 runs like crap on Intel Core i5

HL1=BEST

Reaction score
I'm running Half-Life 2 on my grandma's computer (the specs are better then you would assume), and it runs terribly on recommended settings, and even on the lowest settings it never goes above 30 fps. Specs are as follows:

Quad-core Intel Core i5 clocked at 3.2 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 310 (512 GB DDR3 VRAM)
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

P.S. It is also notable that "multi-core rendering" or whatever it is, is disabled by default.

P.S.S. Don't ask me why my Grandma needs 8 gigs of RAM

Any reason that it doesn't run well? My friend can run any Source game at full settings and his frame rate is locked at 299 fps always

Update your chipset drivers for the 310, that is as much as you can do. It's not a proper graphics card, it's more like a toothpick.

nvidia_geforce_300_series_video_card.jpg

Sure the rest of those specs will do HL2 proud but you have hardly any graphics processing going on and it will be bottlenecking you significantly. Since HL2 is a good few years old now you could easily grab a very reasonably priced graphics card which will run it superbly.

Update your chipset drivers for the 310, that is as much as you can do. It's not a proper graphics card, it's more like a toothpick.

nvidia_geforce_300_series_video_card.jpg

Sure the rest of those specs will do HL2 proud but you have hardly any graphics processing going on and it will be bottlenecking you significantly. Since HL2 is a good few years old now you could easily grab a very reasonably priced graphics card which will run it superbly.
That's what they call a graphics card? These guys are really confusing people with their weird numbering.

Your grandma probably has a storebought computer. Which features a lot of cheap RAM, a decent CPU and the cheapest graphics card they can fit in the case. Store-bought computers suck.

Back