Half-Life 2: Short Stories

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
The reason Half-Life 2 has been such a critically acclaimed game is not because of the high-paced tempo of its improvisational combat, or the crowd-pleasing visuals which simmer with artistic energy - the reason it has been applauded so enthusiastically is because it entwines the player into the game's narrative tapestry. It involves them in the plot in a way no film or novel can. The scripted scenes are dynamic stages on which you are also an actor, and the events that unfold affect you in such away because they relate to you, and revolve around you. It's a new kind of storytelling which can only be told through the medium of gaming, and whilst many games attempt it, Half-Life 2 perfects it. [br] [br] Therefore it's no surprise that the community would want to emulate such an integral part of the Half-Life 2 experience. Unfortunately, the storytelling techniques used in HL2 are also the most complex part of the entire game - scripting, coding, voice acting and level design are all essential in making a story moment shine, and that's not even including the writing itself. Maybe that's why Half-Life 2: Short Stories, a community driven modification based around a number of small, story driven episodes, is one of the only narrative-focused mods around. [br] [br] The team have recently released a collection of concept art images, which you can see below. However, that's really just to catch your eye. It's much more important that you check out the about and news sections of their website (found here) to understand the true scope of this project. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]Short Stories is ambitious, but also fragile. It's a mod that really needs the support of the community to flourish, so by all means check it out. What the mod scene really needs right now are more stories and less multiplayer counter-strike-clones.

Sounds interesting. If they're still taking on positions for concept/character sketches I might see if I can get a part, or just a spot to contribute as either way this sounds quite promising. I'll just need to throw a quick portfolio together first, mind, but whichever.

I hanker for anything that expands the Half Life universe. And yet, so far with HL2 we've had painfully little worth noticing: MINERVA, Lost Coast and Missing Information being the only non-canon extensions I really enjoyed. And when I went to the list of contributors to this mod, I knew we were in for something special.

Excited already.

EDIT: Looked closer at the concept art... the Aperture logos on the crates make me feel all tingly inside.

The project ideas and design look very good. I really enjoy single player mods with a good story, so I would enjoy this. I just hope it can get the support it needs; it seems like the Half-life 2 mod community isn't very strong. At least that's how it looks to me right now.

Thanks for the kind words, Sui. I wasn't even expecting this to be posted here. :)

Sounds interesting. If they're still taking on positions for concept/character sketches I might see if I can get a part, or just a spot to contribute as either way this sounds quite promising. I'll just need to throw a quick portfolio together first, mind, but whichever.

Do it! I think we *might* be all set on character sketches, but we could always use more concepts.

The project ideas and design look very good. I really enjoy single player mods with a good story, so I would enjoy this. I just hope it can get the support it needs; it seems like the Half-life 2 mod community isn't very strong. At least that's how it looks to me right now.

We've been very very very lucky so far with the talent we've managed to grab. Especially this late in the game where a lot of modders are set on their projects or have moved on to different engines. We've got a long way to go, but I'm very pleased so far.

Also don't be fooled by the Xenworm's pretty face. She's a filthy lying whore.

I have heard about this mod. Its a really innovative idea. I was always hoping for a mod that would simply tell the story of a citizen in city 17 or something that someone experienced in the hl2 world with awesome narration and stuff, without any combat and stuff. Here it is, i can't wait...

Good luck chaps - will love to see a good SP mod with a good story for once...

As long as they don't mess with the story too much I think it could be great!

Good luck!

Ah exellent, been waiting for something like this for a long time. Great idea, but also incredibly ambitious, really hope you pull it off really well :)

I would like to be in it,but I dont know what I can contribute

I once was thinking about making a xen fauna list,but didnt even started it lol

I have a feeling it's time to update my signature to include this.

Also don't be fooled by the Xenworm's pretty face. She's a filthy lying whore.

Oh my, I lol'd!

Anyface, this is a project I strongly endorse.
I'd help out, but I'm not particularly skilled at uh, stuff, in general.

Looks cool !! nice concept art. Isnt this that mod with like the only AI programmer in the intire mod scene : D ?
Keep up the great work ! +1

-dodo

I have heard about this mod. Its a really innovative idea. I was always hoping for a mod that would simply tell the story of a citizen in city 17 or something that someone experienced in the hl2 world with awesome narration and stuff, without any combat and stuff. Here it is, i can't wait...

Well, there will still be combat, but we're hoping that having each episode around an hour long and not entirely fighting based will keep them from being too stale or boring.

Ah exellent, been waiting for something like this for a long time. Great idea, but also incredibly ambitious, really hope you pull it off really well :)

It is and it isn't as far as ambition goes. Most of us on the team have prior experience and know what makes mods succeed while others fail. We're keeping from doing things "just for the hell of it". For example, Paradigm right now isn't planning on any custom weapons. Six variations on an assault rifle wouldn't really benefit in any way.

Looks cool !! nice concept art. Isnt this that mod with like the only AI programmer in the intire mod scene : D ?
Keep up the great work ! +1

-dodo

Well, one of a few. We've got Au-Heppa on HLSS and he's very talented with the programming stuff. I'm sure there are a few other mods that have programmers that do some AI, though.

(dodo you should apply to work with us :D)

Thanks for the support everyone. :thumbs:

I've seen this before. I think Samon linked it to me once, said Mecha drew it, IIRC.

I forget we had a media release. D:

Oh not this shit again. :p

Back