Half-Life 3 is Coming... Not Sure When!

Do you believe that Valve will release HL3

• Total voters

VRG

Hunter
Reaction score

The Half-Life story was left incomplete in HL2E2. I am sure that Valve will release HL3, but when, that's a question only Valve can answer.

But this video is a proof that it may be released sooner than many expected.

VNN?

I'm guessing nah.

Edit: Yeah, nah.

After I finished the episode 2 in spring of 2008 I wanted to play with ep3as soon as possible. But after ...OMG....several years waiting I can't believe to Valve wants to annouce the last chapter of Gordon Freeman.
They're too busy with Steam/SteamVR/ and Making hats/skins for TF2/CS:GO.
I don't like this VR thing and in my opinion it will perform as the 3D movies and games.
But who knows maybe I'm wrong.
I think I would be one of the happiest person if the half-life 3 released.
Sad thing but it won't happen.
Sry my bad English.

But this video is a proof that it may be released sooner than many expected.
There's nothing in the Aperture Robot Repair files to suggest when the next Half-Life game is coming or what state the franchise is in. If those videos said otherwise, you've been mislead.

After I finished the episode 2 in spring of 2008 I wanted to play with ep3as soon as possible. But after ...OMG....several years waiting I can't believe to Valve wants to annouce the last chapter of Gordon Freeman.

Last Chapter ? Well , maybe. since Gordon Freeman hasn't finished his job yet with Xen...

It's possible and I want to believe they will, but as the time passes I become more and more despondent.

HL3 will never be released. Makes as much sense as Microsoft releasing a new full version of OS/2. Makes no sense financially, Valve has evolved from being a softwarehouse to be a digital distributor.

Valve cannot leave Half-Life behind , since it is not finished yet.

So , i think valve must release HL3 , even if it doesn't like , or it will lose many of its fans.

Regardless of it being a good business decision? Why spend money on releasing this game when most of your development task force is gone, it would be too cost prohibitive and risky to continue development, and the company's energy is now on competitive games, the distribution platform and hardware to support it? Corporations and companies do not care about completing a series or a "planned trilogy". It's all about the return of investment. HL3 is not a good bet.

old ideas dont work in this future of VR, source 2 and motion capture. But there is no reason why some parts of old ideas can come back to be reinvented in some other story. i think we'll see a half life movie earlier than a new game, unless Valve don't like jj.abrahams idea.

But hard to say, Valve for some time now have been very quiet and when their quiet their up to something new and its not technology although that has been kickass.

Over the years no one at valve wanted to work on that game, someone was doing 'stars of blood' and it just didnt come together and that developer gave up and went to work on VR 'its easier'.

This is the same as when steam was being created, those that still wanted to work on half life 2. Both groups agreed/disagreed that 'we think your wasting your time, but its your time to waste' so they made half life 2.

So its possible that for the last 2 years a very small 2-3 people are looking into new game ideas, its small because new technology had to be created first before new games could be made.

Gabe said in march 2015 interview 'now that the work is done, it feels like a one time investment'

Only thing im expecting soon (generalization) is more talk/try outs or whatever of source 2, surely tf2 and cs:go can benefit from source 2

and listen to this podcast of yanis analysis of Valve Software, it should help

Varoufakis on Valve, Spontaneous Order, and the European Crisis
EconTalk Episode with Yanis Varoufakis
http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2013/02/varoufakis_on_v.html

Last edited:
HL3 will never be released. Makes as much sense as Microsoft releasing a new full version of OS/2. Makes no sense financially, Valve has evolved from being a softwarehouse to be a digital distributor.

Games are different with softwares and Operating Systems. OS/2 was an old OS and now it is abandoned and Windows is replaced.

But HL is going to have a replacement ?!

Valve won't release another game and mention that it's the replacement of HL. Maybe call the new game just Half-Life , but can't change the whole franchise...

Regardless of it being a good business decision? Why spend money on releasing this game when most of your development task force is gone, it would be too cost prohibitive and risky to continue development, and the company's energy is now on competitive games, the distribution platform and hardware to support it? Corporations and companies do not care about completing a series or a "planned trilogy". It's all about the return of investment. HL3 is not a good bet.

Then Valve must say we won't release HL3 and don't keep the people waiting !
They don't know ? Say we aren't sure.

Games are different with softwares and Operating Systems. OS/2 was an old OS and now it is abandoned and Windows is replaced..

It was an analogy, not meant to be taken in an absolute literal sense. I was stating it made financial sense as much as releasing an OS/2, although the circumstances and practices obviously differ.

Then Valve must say we won't release HL3 and don't keep the people waiting !
They don't know ? Say we aren't sure

Why should they make such a statement? Should they make a statement for every possible product they WON'T release? They made no formal announcement of such game, it's just a bunch of internet fans who endlessly speculate about its status. Should they confirm that Ricochet 2 is also not in their plans?

Besides. there's always the "never say never" scenario, and I doubt Valve wants to burn bridges with the HL franchise. The only possible scenario I see Valve ever reconsidering HL3 is if their Steam cash cow dries.

The only possible scenario I see Valve ever reconsidering HL3 is if their Steam cash cow dries.
I think Valve would still benefit from Half-Life 3. The new Doom had extreme success, and a new Half-Life would probably be even more successful (if they do it right, which I don't think would be that difficult). Also it wouldn't hurt their reputation amongst gamers any.

I think Valve would still benefit from Half-Life 3. The new Doom had extreme success, and a new Half-Life would probably be even more successful (if they do it right, which I don't think would be that difficult). Also it wouldn't hurt their reputation amongst gamers any.

Would it financially benefit? I'm not sure. Creating a game means spending time and effort in it - which directly means spending money. If they spend money on HL3 they would get a return of investment X. Would X be more than the money spent on HL3? I doubt it, but let's say for the sake of the argument it is. Now, if they spend that money instead on some other project that may increase their steam sales or something else, they will get a return of investment Y. There are SEVERAL options for making Y > X - specially for a company that does not have stock holders and did not go public, meaning they can get the return of Y in a longer term than X (they don't have to deliver stock value goals at the end of their financial years).

I think most people who are waiting for HL3 are probably too young to understand the world does not revolve around their expectations, and profit is the way society decides what we should work on. It will NOT HAPPEN.

Why should they make such a statement? Should they make a statement for every possible product they WON'T release? They made no formal announcement of such game, it's just a bunch of internet fans who endlessly speculate about its status.

They don't need to say we won't release a game that has many Hypes for it ?! Are you kidding ?!
If they don't want to release HL3 , give the permission to another studio. Can't they ? Or they shouldn't make such a statement ?!

Besides. there's always the "never say never" scenario, and I doubt Valve wants to burn bridges with the HL franchise. The only possible scenario I see Valve ever reconsidering HL3 is if their Steam cash cow dries.

So if you doubt , then you can't say never (also you mention the never say never scenario and you say it ?!) . If they don't want to burn the bridges , they simply should end the game at least ! The game is not ended !

One of the reasons that the new DOOM had extreme success was because it had many Hypes for it. (But I'm not going to say the game isn't great)
Same as HL3. But this time , we don't even know that the project even exists or not.

Would it financially benefit? I'm not sure. Creating a game means spending time and effort in it - which directly means spending money. If they spend money on HL3 they would get a return of investment X. Would X be more than the money spent on HL3? I doubt it, but let's say for the sake of the argument it is. Now, if they spend that money instead on some other project that may increase their steam sales or something else, they will get a return of investment Y. There are SEVERAL options for making Y > X - specially for a company that does not have stock holders and did not go public, meaning they can get the return of Y in a longer term than X (they don't have to deliver stock value goals at the end of their financial years).

So they should simply say we don't want to spend our money on HL3. and then give Half-Life games permission to someone else.

I think most people who are waiting for HL3 are probably too young to understand the world does not revolve around their expectations, and profit is the way society decides what we should work on. It will NOT HAPPEN.

Too young ? Half-Life was released in 1998. Now is 2016. 2016 - 1998 = 18 also if we think that person was 15 when playing the game , the result is 33. 33 is not Too young

Also , about the It will NOT HAPPEN expression you can't have that much confidence.
Maybe Valve is just so lazy to finish the game development...

Give it up. The company is a different thing now. Sure, they still have the rights to the property, but would it even matter? Brian Herbert had the rights to the Dune franchise, but his books aren't his dad's. The ones with the vision for wherever the story was going have moved on. Somebody might keep it going one day, but it won't be the same. It's dead, and we are in mourning. It's time to remember it for what it was without pining away for what could have been. It's the respectful thing to do, not only for the property, but for ourselves.

Edit.
Yeah, I didn't think I ever would pull the plug, but that's it, isn't it. Feel's like an empty room now. I might be one of the last ones who still looks back and remembers reading through the dumb php source's finding the smallest tidbits of arg on the official half life 2 page, all those years ago. I think I held on to these characters, truly cared about poor Gordon finally getting some peace after the worst day of work ever, for about as long as anybody here. And in that I can say, it was a good ride, one of the best. Definitely. It formulated part of my psyche, made me feel like surviving no matter the odds was just what one does, because if you don't, the world gets suckered by Xen, or chewed up by the Combine, or that bastard G-Man gets away with the whole thing, whatever it is. And maybe it's a good thing that everything never got neatly wrapped up. Nothing ever really does, in my experience in life so far. We're all gonna keep fighting the free will vs determinism fight no matter what, even if we don't want to. And maybe that's what we should take away from this experience. Keep fighting to get to the surface, all you Gordon's out there.

I, for one, will see you up ahead.

Last edited:
Give it up. The company is a different thing now. Sure, they still have the rights to the property, but would it even matter? Brian Herbert had the rights to the Dune franchise, but his books aren't his dad's. The ones with the vision for wherever the story was going have moved on. Somebody might keep it going one day, but it won't be the same. It's dead, and we are in mourning. It's time to remember it for what it was without pining away for what could have been. It's the respectful thing to do, not only for the property, but for ourselves.

Edit.
Yeah, I didn't think I ever would pull the plug, but that's it, isn't it. Feel's like an empty room now. I might be one of the last ones who still looks back and remembers reading through the dumb php source's finding the smallest tidbits of arg on the official half life 2 page, all those years ago. I think I held on to these characters, truly cared about poor Gordon finally getting some peace after the worst day of work ever, for about as long as anybody here. And in that I can say, it was a good ride, one of the best. Definitely. It formulated part of my psyche, made me feel like surviving no matter the odds was just what one does, because if you don't, the world gets suckered by Xen, or chewed up by the Combine, or that bastard G-Man gets away with the whole thing, whatever it is. And maybe it's a good thing that everything never got neatly wrapped up. Nothing ever really does, in my experience in life so far. We're all gonna keep fighting the free will vs determinism fight no matter what, even if we don't want to. And maybe that's what we should take away from this experience. Keep fighting to get to the surface, all you Gordon's out there.

MFL, I honestly don't blame you, but it's sad to see you go. I sorta agree with you from a pragmatic perspective but I can't really give up on it (and I'm real patient).

Edit.

I can't convince everyone here , but I know one thing :

We can only lose our hope when Valve say that there won't be any more HL game.

And Valve didn't do that so there is hope.

That's one of the best things I can say.

So they should simply say we don't want to spend our money on HL3. and then give Half-Life games permission to someone else.

I don't think it would be a wise move as well, as they would lose control over that property. It's a stalemate, and I see no possibility for an outcome in which Valve benefits from creating and releasing HL3. Valve is NOT a gaming softwarehouse anymore, it's a digital distribution company who also focus on hardware standards for a broader reception of their software distribution (with TV sets and VR as a mean to increase their digital software sales).

HL3 will never be released. Makes as much sense as Microsoft releasing a new full version of OS/2. Makes no sense financially, Valve has evolved from being a softwarehouse to be a Best Appetite Suppressants official review distributor..

Yeah but that doesn't mean that they can't still create and sell games and make more money. I have faith that a HL3 game will come out.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: VRG
Yeah but that doesn't mean that they can't still create and sell games and make more money. I have faith that a HL3 game will come out.
True. It's just the faith that's keeping me going right now. They may or may not release it, [seeing that GabeN is inactive now-a-days] but one day, they have to. They just can't let a story be left incomplete.

Valve sank into money and forgot / lost interest in Half-life 3 long time ago, Not to mention the many of people involved in Half-life series left the company (Including some who worked on few HL3 stuff), So meh .

Back